Windows 10: USB ports sometimes stop working after waking up from hibernation

Discus and support USB ports sometimes stop working after waking up from hibernation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an ASUS laptop and I have been facing an issue where the USB ports sometimes stop working after waking up from hibernation. I mean, every device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ksio89, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ksio89 Win User

USB ports sometimes stop working after waking up from hibernation

I have an ASUS laptop and I have been facing an issue where the USB ports sometimes stop working after waking up from hibernation. I mean, every device that is plugged into them stops working, such as wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, wireless gaming controller, USB headset, USB thumb drive etc. Unplugging and replugging the devices does not fix the issue.The only solution I'm aware of is rebooting the laptop.

However, when this USB port issue happens, another one arises, in which Windows gets stuck at rebooting screen, so I need to shut down the system by pressing and holding the power button. This seems to happen randomly, most of the times the USB ports work fine after waking up from hibernation. However, yesterday this issue also happened after a normal startup, which had never happened before.

I have already unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" at Power Management tabs for USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) in Device Manager, for all of the entries available after showing hidden devices. I have also already disabled "USB selective suspend setting" in Advanced settings for all existing power schemes, both for on battery and plugged in modes. Tough, I don't believe these options are related to my issue at all.

I have even turned off power saving option in my laptop BIOS, but it didn't solve the issue either. I'm running out of things that I think might be causing this issue. I wonder if it's a hardware problem, where the USB hubs stop working randomly. I have also considered refreshing Windows and hope this issue does not happen anymore, but I'm not sure doing this will do any help. Thanks in advance.

Info:

OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language x64 version 1709 (build 16299.125)
    laptop model: ASUS X550LN-BRA-548H
    USB ports: 2xUSB 3.0 + 1xUSB 2.0

:)

ksio89, Jan 2, 2018
  2. Sairy Win User

No more Bluetooth Sync possible after Notebook Standby

Some more information:

Before Hibernation, Activesync Connection Settings show several comm ports available. After waking up from Hibernation only one port is available and it is not the Bluetooth port.

Why would these ports disappear after Hibernation?

Sairy, Jan 2, 2018
  3. TomHaws Win User
    Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while

When I put Windows 10 to sleep, then wake it up within a few minutes, it wakes up promptly as expected after a sleep. And it wakes up if I tap my keyboard, which also is expected.

But if I come back to wake the computer after a long time, it appears to have settled into hibernation.

1. The keyboard will not wake it up. I have to press the power button.

2. The manufacturer startup screen is displayed like on hibernation resume, and the resumption takes a long time sometimes.

Why does sleep turn into hibernation? Can I stop this behavior? All of the above happens while my Dell laptop is plugged in continuously.

Tom

TomHaws, Jan 2, 2018
  4. mamc Win User

Hi Ksio89,

Well looking to your text I've to say you will need to reinstall the Windows 8.1 or 7 that comes with your PC, looking to the Asus webiste - X550LN Driver & Tools| Laptops | ASUS Global
    they do not have drivers at least from 2017.
    Several persons that I know had to go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Thanks.

mamc, Jan 2, 2018
  5. ksio89 Win User
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't think reinstalling a previous version of Windows will solve the issue, and I don't want to go back either. This issue has started one or two months ago, and I have this laptop since July 2015, a few weeks before Windows 10 release. I updated to Win 10 as soon as it became available, and never had this issue until last November or December. More like Windows Update downloaded and installed broken drivers, or a cumulative update broke something, I don't know. I'll refresh Windows and see if it solves the issue.

ksio89, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB ports sometimes stop working after waking up from hibernation - Similar Threads - USB ports sometimes

2. USB 3.0 Ports stop working after computer wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3.0 Ports stop working after computer wakes from sleep: Hello, I'm having an issue that I've seen other users have on here that I haven't seen successfully resolved. Whenever my computer goes to sleep all of my USB ports stop working, if I unplug something and put it into a different USB port it receives power again and I'm able...
  3. USB 3.0 Ports stop working after computer wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3.0 Ports stop working after computer wakes from sleep: Hello, I'm having an issue that I've seen other users have on here that I haven't seen successfully resolved. Whenever my computer goes to sleep all of my USB ports stop working, if I unplug something and put it into a different USB port it receives power again and I'm able...
  4. USB 3.0 Ports stop working after computer wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep: I notice my laptop always face BSOD when waking up from either hibernate mode or sleep mode. The BSOD error is "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"Tried sfc /scannow but no issue found.Here is the link for the minidump files and system...
  6. Sometimes USB ports don't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sometimes USB ports don't work: Sometimes my computer's USB ports don't work when the computer wakes up from sleep mode.I have tried everything to solve this but it is probably not so much a problem of the individual parts of my computer and or software but this could be a conflict of the combination.I have...
  7. Sometimes USB ports don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sometimes USB ports don't work: Sometimes my computer's USB ports don't work when the computer wakes up from sleep mode.I have tried everything to solve this but it is probably not so much a problem of the individual parts of my computer and or software but this could be a conflict of the combination.I have...
  8. Hibernate Mode - wake up after hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate Mode - wake up after hibernate: I want to take advantage of fast startup and I have enabled it in the power settings. When I shutdown the machine, it goes to hibernate mode. To restart the machine, I have to first press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds, which terminates the hibernation and...
  9. Wireless Mouse Stops Working After Laptop Wakes from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless Mouse Stops Working After Laptop Wakes from Hibernate: I have a wireless USB mouse. Every time I wake my computer from hibernate, my wireless USB mouse stops working. The mouse is powered on and the batteries are new. I've tried multiple solutions listed below based on search results from this forum to try and resolve this issue...
  10. PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate: A few Preview builds have been acting strangely. If I put computer to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself and keeps doing in the loop. Seems like it's happening during the night. Any idea? Thanks 105289