Windows 10: USB recovery boot drive won't boot

Discus and support USB recovery boot drive won't boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by elaguila64, Feb 12, 2016.

1. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I get an error saying that the boot configuration data is missing or contains errors. I can boot up the laptop using the current windows install so it isn't referring to the hard drive. I have tried several usb drives and get the same message on each. Here is a screenshot of the message.

:)

elaguila64, Feb 12, 2016
  2. JimEnniss Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive

The USB recovery drive was made with the old hard drive. When installing the new drive, the computer can only boot from the USB recovery drive. It appears to have started in EFI mode.

The system image made off the old hard drive onto an external hard drive is available to see by the USB recovery drive but the Recovery drive says image was made on a BIOS firmware and this computer is using EFI.

I made no changes to the BIOS. I want to recover all my files and partitions.

Why does the old drive boot in BIOS legacy and make images in BIOS but the same old drive made a recovery drive that boots in EFI.

JimEnniss, Feb 12, 2016
  3. elewis121 Win User
    windows 10 crash x: drive

I'm trying to help a friend on this as well. No boot disk, no boot thumb drive, system restore won't work; system recovery won't work.

Suggestions?

elewis121, Feb 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

USB recovery boot drive won't boot

Hi, did you want to create a system recovery disk\device?

What sort of backup image have you actually created, and how?

Is this what you did or sthg else?

USB recovery boot drive won't boot [​IMG]

Thanks.. just not clear where you started from, as a 'backup image' could refer to a variety of disk imaging programs, or sthg created by Windows.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  5. Yes. That is how I created the recovery usb drive. The backup image was createdby going to the settings in the start menu and selecting update and security and then backup. That created a backup image on my usb hard drive. I wanted the usb recovery so that I could boot from it and then start the restore.

elaguila64, Feb 13, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Hang on, I think you are confusing things..

The usb recovery drive only does a bare bones re-installation ie it puts pc back to factory condition.
    If this is not booting, something has gone wrong with this, but this is not a disaster as you can download Windows 10 anyway.

A Restore drive is completely different and enables to restore a backup image.
    You have to create this from the Backup and Restore menus.

cereberus, Feb 13, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    "The backup image was createdby going to the settings in the start menu and selecting update and security and then backup."
    That's this one (not bootable)

USB recovery boot drive won't boot [​IMG]

Not the one I showed above.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  8. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

Sorry guys. I think I should have posted more clearly. lets leave the backup image on the usb hard drive out of the picture. I want create a recovery thumb drive so that I can do a barebones installation. So I was trying to use the Recovery Media Creator in windows to do this. It creates the thumb drive with no errors at all. But when I try to boot from it is when I get the error that I posted. Hopefully this clears up what I was trying to do. Sorry I muddied the issue a little before.

elaguila64, Feb 13, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Once I created a Recovery flash drive as you mentioned. It did not work either.
    After that, I gave that up and from then on I rely exclusively on System Image Backup to restore my system and I had used that several times to restore a messy system I created.
    I am not here to promote the built-in System Image Backup, nor am I here to discuss how wonderful some 3rd party programs are.
    I am here just to share with you what I did and used under the circumstances.

davidhk, Feb 13, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    If you want to do a clean install you (typically) need a Windows installation medium
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

This may be what you want to do:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I wondered if you had this in mind:
    If you want to transfer your existing installation to another PC using a backup image, tools like Aomei Backupper, Macrium Reflect etc [sorry davidhk *Biggrin] (not sure about the free version) allow you to create an image of what you have, 'restore to dissimilar hardware' i.e. without the drivers to the new PC- so when you boot, hopefully the appropriate drivers are installed.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  11. I will just download the iso create an install stick. I was using the other method as it is supposed to keep your system files such as drivers but I think the other way will be easier.

elaguila64, Feb 13, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    You can export your drivers in case you need them.

http://woshub.com/how-to-export-driv...indows-8-1-u1/

cereberus, Feb 13, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Use Windows built in DISM command. Open Admin Command Prompt. Copy and paste the lines below and run. It will save all the drivers to a folder: C:\Drivers
    md c:\Drivers
    Dism /Online /Export-Driver /Destination:C:\Drivers
    @echo Done

OldMike65, Feb 13, 2016
  14. Thanks everybody for the info and the help.

elaguila64, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. USB recovery boot drive won't boot - Similar Threads - USB recovery boot

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB: I have a HP laptop that will not boot, and I cannot get it to boot to the win10 recovery USB USB boot works - can boot to Ubuntu Live USB and works fine. Tried creating USB with Windows Media Tool Tried creating UEFI (GPT) and BIOS(MBR) USB with Rufus Tried booting all...
  4. USB Recovery Dependent Boot into Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Recovery Dependent Boot into Windows: This story tells best from present to past. Currently, here's how I boot into windows: I boot to a recovery USB, then I choose "Use harddisk" and windows boots just fine. I want to cut the middle-man (USB recovery) out of this relationship. If I don't use the recovery disk,...
  5. USB won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB won't boot: A USB an MP3 I have been using on my computer all day now is not being reconised by the computetr and will not boot up. Is there anything I can do to get it to boot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-wont-boot/c7dd79f9-1041-47cb-a4d3-38273f2a517c
  6. Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive.: My XPS 13 was stuck on the Dell icon when booting up. So I downloaded the recovery software on another laptop and made a boot drive using Dell's recovery software. I went in and disable secure boot mode and then selected the USB as the boot drive. Now it started up from the...
  7. Installation USB won't boot

Installation USB won't boot: Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 10, 64 bit Enterprise evaluation. I extracted the ISO onto a USB drive which though won't boot. I see a blinking hyphen but nothing happens. I can start from my existing Windows 8.1 via File Explorer clicking Setup, when however the...
  8. No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in: I switched off my pc during a 'getting windows ready screen' that got stuck due to the fact I didn't want to leave it on over night. The next day when I tried to boot it, it let off a loud prolonged beep and got stuck in the now very laggy bios menu. Some research online...
  9. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  10. Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB

Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB: I have just installed the free windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 home premium. I have used the file history program to create a USB and a DVD recovery disk prior to creating a system image ( not done yet ) I tried to test the recovery but it does not boot the system. The...