Windows 10: USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10?

Discus and support USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi what size is best for a USB flash drive memory stick in order to create a recovery drive for the newly installed Win 10 pls? Is 64GB too large?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joe2cool, Apr 3, 2016.

1. joe2cool Win User

USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10?

Hi what size is best for a USB flash drive memory stick in order to create a recovery drive for the newly installed Win 10 pls?
    Is 64GB too large?

Appreciate any help

Thx

:)

joe2cool, Apr 3, 2016
  2. NjnBat Win User

Windows usb recovery drive vs Hp recovery usb drive

Does it mean that Windows recovery USB drive can perform everything that a HP recovery drive could?

If it is yes, I believe there is no point creating an hp USB recovery drive too

NjnBat, Apr 3, 2016
  3. Backup vs Recovery Drive

We had a USB backup drive on Windows 10 before the recent upgrade. With the new up grade we now have a Recovery Drive and a USB Backup Drive. Does the Recovery Drive replace the USB Backup Drive?

Gene Dodge, Apr 3, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

IMO the best size is one that is large enough to accomodate bootable version of Macrium PLUS your latest Windows recovery image (you want the "C" OS partition and the system reserved partition in the backup image).

If you have the Macrium ISO you can make a bootable USB with RUFUS. Simply create 2 partitions on the USB stick, one bootable for Macrium and the other for your Image data.

In general a 64GB stick should be more than large enough.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2016
  5. joe2cool Win User
    Hi quick reply appreciated, never used or heard of RUFUS.

Thx

joe2cool, Apr 3, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Multiple partitions on the same USB can be problematic on some computers. There is no need for the second partition. I would just make the Macrium Reflect Rescue drive and save the image file to a folder on it and just leave it as one big partition.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have done it both ways. I've used two separate partitions, and I have used one big partition. The one big partition has given me less problems in the past.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  8. badrobot Win User

If you are talking about the USB Recovery Media, 16GB is the best for the job.

badrobot, Apr 7, 2016
  9. joe2cool Win User
    OK Thx so 64Gb would be way too big

joe2cool, Apr 7, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not if he is also going to store the backup image on the same drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  11. badrobot Win User
    I think the OP is just asking about that recovery media not the backup image storage.

badrobot, Apr 7, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    True. We got off on post #2 about making a Macrium Reflect rescue disc and saving an image to it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  13. badrobot Win User

I would not recommend saving an image on a USB flashdrive and recover from it. It will be molasses.

badrobot, Apr 7, 2016
  14. joe2cool Win User
    Hi yes I was.......cheers guys appreciated

joe2cool, Apr 10, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    Depends - I have a san cruzer extreme 32GB which reads at 245 MB/s and writes at 100 MB/s and that is faster than my spinny hdds! I definitely get easily 90+% of those quoted speeds

The 64 GB version writes at 190 MB/s and is nearly as fast as modest SSD.

For relatively small image backups, they can be handy (and then copy/transfer to an hdd at your leisure).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - USB Recovery Drive

2. windows 10 recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 recovery usb drive: I have a dell 5290 2in 1 laptop, it showed a error message of 0xc000000f * I Downloaded windows 10 from a different computer to a USB stick * i then put the usb into the dell computer it went into recovery mode for about 20 minutes then said there was a probelm and no...
  3. USB Recovery Drive

USB Recovery Drive: I have an ACER computer that was updated from Windows 7 to 10 when the update was still free. The updates are up to date except for the 2H20. I was trying to make a USB Recovery Drive. I tried to follow the directions I could find on the web. After finding and opening...
  4. Recovery USB drive Windows 10 not working

Recovery USB drive Windows 10 not working: I am trying to reset my PC. I have lost my original recovery CD, so I made a recovery USB drive instead following the necessary steps. It is not working. My PC does not recognise it, though the USB does work. The PC has had some virus problems in the past, and that may have...
  5. Can't use Windows 10 recovery USB drive

Can't use Windows 10 recovery USB drive: My HP laptop with Windows 10 Home wouldn't boot into windows or repair itself or do a system restore. The only thing it would do is let me create a recovery USB to restore my files, settings, etc. So, I chose that option from the boot menu and it supposedly successfully...
  6. usb recovery drive

usb recovery drive: have tried to re install windows 10 from usb recovery drive a number of times, reaches approx. 50% and fails. on entering command prompt window, have message that there is not enough disk space to complete command. I thought all files would be wiped from disk and new windows...
  7. Creating Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive slow

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive slow: Why is creating a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive slow during the copy system stage? It takes over 40 minutes to finish just for one USB 3.0 flash drive. I have my latest system specs listed in my profile. 130863
  8. Usb Recovery Drive

Usb Recovery Drive: Hi My pc won't boot and i create a usb recovery drive from my laptop. I plug the recovery flash drive to my pc and able to boot it up. I tried to access the system restore and it shows a couple of restore points. My question is does these restore points from my desktop...
  9. USB recovery drive

USB recovery drive: Windows 10 , create recovery drive, is requesting I insert at least a 32 gb usb drive yet when recovery drive is complete [with system files] windows only used 11 gb. This is not necessarily a problem except I have several extra 16 gb usb drives which I would like to use....
  10. Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?

Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?: 1 . In Windows 10, one can create a Recovery Drive on a USB flash drive . 2 .Using Rufus after downloading Windows 10 installation ISO file from microsoft, I can make a bootable USB windows installation that can help me repair my existing windows installation or let me...