Windows 10: USB Update to 1709 from 1703 "cannot update system reserve partition"

Discus and support USB Update to 1709 from 1703 "cannot update system reserve partition" in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This PC can't run Windows 10 *We couldn't update the system reserved partition. It is running Windows 10 and I'd like to update it to 1709 which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 10fused, Nov 24, 2017.

1. 10fused Win User

USB Update to 1709 from 1703 "cannot update system reserve partition"

This PC can't run Windows 10

*We couldn't update the system reserved partition.

It is running Windows 10 and I'd like to update it to 1709 which will hopefully cure the annoying issues of the system's update failing repeatedly.

Any suggestions?

When I instruct the computer to eject the usb media containing the image file, a warning tells me other files are in use and to continue means loss etc.

I wonder if I should reformat the USB media and recreate the image file.

:)

10fused, Nov 24, 2017

2. I cannot upgrade to Windows 10, PLEASE HELP!!!! Cannot update the system reserve partition

Did all that Parth. No luck, still says, " Cannot update the system reserve partition

ShibuTwo_928, Nov 24, 2017
  3. Chris Dey Win User
    W 7Ultimate x64 SP1 "We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

Still trying to download/install. Have unplugged all USB devices, trying 32 bit, 54 bit. USB. From the hard drive, changes bios to boot from hard drive. tried from usb. Now it says, "something happened", instead of "We couldn't update the system reserved
    partition." Working on 48 hours.

Chris Dey, Nov 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, probably means you don't have any unallocated space on your system drive to allow Windows to create (or extend) your existing system reserved partition.

Use a partition manager to make sure you have, say, 1.2Gb of unallocated space. And make sure you don't have unallocated space on other drives, as Win 10 can and will create OS partitions on other drives. That's not desirable.
    Please have a look at the links below before proceeding.

Searching for the message
    We couldn't update the system reserved partition
    is of course a very useful thing to do....
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...alling-windows
    Fix: Windows 10 upgrade couldn Buck Hodges
    Best Fix: "We Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition" Windows 10

Upgrading will probably fix your update problem if the reason for it failing is minor. However also note (see forum) some issues have been noted with respect to build 1709 by a number of people, whilst others are happy.

As your existing Windows is damaged, you may have a further problem upgrading, depending on the extent of the problem. If you wished to fix your existing windows build you could e.g.
    - Check your disk (no good using a failing disk)
    Hard disk Sentinel (trial)
    - Run the Windows update troubleshooter
    - from an admin command prompt run
    chkdsk C: /F
    - from an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW

dalchina, Nov 25, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Post image of your disk partitions.

cereberus, Nov 25, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    When you attempt an upgrade and see the failure message that we could not upgrade the system reserved partition (MSR) this can be fixed by multiple methods.

First you want to know the insufficiency amount.
    Typically it is < or = 4 MB.

This failure can occur when the end users computer has a history of any 1 or more of the following:
    1) a prior upgrade from windows 7 or 8 to windows 10
    2) multiple bios upgrades
    3) download of multiple languages and fonts
    4) installation of UEFI hardware diagnostics
    5) any software/firmware which is installed on the EFI partition instead of the C drive data partition
    Any 1 or more of the above consume space in the EFI partition size and available free space in the MSR.

This failure can be fixed by:
    1) removing unneeded files (software and firmware) that was/were installed in the EFI partition.
    2) enlarging the size of the EFI partition.
    3) creating an image of the drive > saving the image to another drive > clean install of the drive > restoring the image back to the drive.

2) Download everything: voidtools
    This software will index everything on all drives.
    It can be set to launch on boot or launch when you need it.
    As you enter a character it will immediately display results.
    The more characters that are entered the narrower the search results.
    It is much more efficient than file explorer search.

3) Search for the following folder/files and post any files that are found into the thread using one drive or drop box share links:
    $Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    setupact.log
    setuperr.log
    $Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback
    BlueBox.log

4) In the left lower corner search type: winver > view the pop up about windows > post an image into the thread
    Had you had a problems with any prior upgrades? windows 7 or 8 to 10? Windows 10 version 1511 > 1607 or 1607 > 1703?

5) Open disk management > widen the volume and status columns so that the contents in each row are in full view. > post an image into the thread

6) Download and install Minitool partition wizard:
    MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server

7) launch the minitool partition wizard > post an image into the thread

How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Tutorials
    If you have any problems posting images into the thread please use one drive or drop box share links:
    Share OneDrive files and folders - Office Support

8) Before modifying the drive files or partitions perform the following steps:
    a) chkdsk /x /f /r to fix and recover files
    b) HD Tune or HD Sentinel to evaluate the drive health (SMART), benchmarks, and full error (surface) scan.
    c) sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth to check the integrity of the operating system

9) And before attempting the next upgrade plan to remove all non-windows antivirus products, and remove all attached unnecessary hardware (printer, xbox, headset, etc)

10) Open the website for the computers drivers and post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

zbook, Nov 25, 2017
  7. 10fused Win User
    USB Update to 1709 from 1703 "cannot update system reserve partition" [​IMG]

10fused, Nov 25, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

This is what I would do if it were my computer. Install MiniTool Partition Tool Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Delete the System Reserved Partition on Disk 1. Using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Make sure to click the apply button. Open a command prompt (admin) - "run as administrator" command prompt and run the following commands:

diskpart
    select disk 1
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick label="System Reserved"
    assign letter=t
    active
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s T: /f ALL
    exit

reboot the computer, try the upgrade again

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  9. 10fused Win User
    Thank you.

For the sake of clarity and certainty, would it be possible to respectfully request the commands to have any spaces notated with a "%", which of course I will comprehend are spaces?

select%disk%1......... this is correct?

etc..... some of the commands do not present conclusively as being with or without a space, especially those forward slashes
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick label="System Reserved"
    assign letter=t
    active
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s T: /f ALL

10fused, Nov 25, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is what I would do if it were my computer. Install MiniTool Partition Tool Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Delete the System Reserved Partition on Disk 1. Using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Make sure to click the apply button. Open a command prompt (admin) - "run as administrator" command prompt and run the following commands:

diskpart
    select%disk%1
    create%part%pri
    format%fs=fat32%quick%label="System Reserved"
    assign%letter=t
    active
    exit
    bcdboot%C:\Windows%/s%T:%/f%ALL
    exit

reboot the computer, try the upgrade again

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  11. 10fused Win User
    Thank you, I'll give this a shot directly.

If so, does this mean I substitute "2" for "1" in the cmd prompt inputs?

10fused, Nov 25, 2017
  12. 10fused Win User
    Questions in post 9. Thanks

10fused, Nov 25, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

That is the partition to delete, yes. No, do not substitute disk 2 for disk 1 in the command prompt. MiniTool starts disk numbering at 1. Command Prompt Diskpart starts disk numbering at 0.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  14. 10fused Win User
    Ok, I just want to be certain since there appear to be incongruencies between the numbering assigned by the partition wizard and that shown in the image of the windows partition per windows.

Delete System Reserve Partition on Disk 2 as shown on the Wizard and then apply.

Then proceed with command prompt entries, verbatim, correct?

Thank you again.

10fused, Nov 25, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes. That will delete your System Reserved Partition, and then rebuild it with only the Microsoft default boot files in it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
Thema:

1. USB Update to 1709 from 1703 "cannot update system reserve partition" - Similar Threads - USB Update 1709

2. Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition: Every time I Try to Update, I Get the Error Message: We Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition I tried Deleting My Fonts but It Still Shows the Error...
  3. Cant update the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant update the system reserved partition: Initially when I upgraded to windows 11, I used to receive updates, after almost 6 months of use of windows 11 I am getting these type of issued while upgrading to the next version of windows. Please help me regarding this issue.I have uploaded the screenshots of windows...
  4. Cant update the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant update the system reserved partition: Initially when I upgraded to windows 11, I used to receive updates, after almost 6 months of use of windows 11 I am getting these type of issued while upgrading to the next version of windows. Please help me regarding this issue.I have uploaded the screenshots of windows...
  5. Not able to update System Reserve Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to update System Reserve Partition: I'm attempting to update a Win10Pro VMWare image and I'm receiving a notice that the System Reserve partition can't be updated. I'm presuming size of the SRP but I could be wrong. Here's the error message:This PC can't run Windows 10We couldn't update the system reserved...
  6. Can't update system reserved partition.

Can't update system reserved partition.: I cant update windows. Every time I try I get the cant update system reserved partition error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-update-system-reserved-partition/dfc732c2-5b49-43b0-afd9-62f6cbbd7aa8
  7. Can't Update from 1703 to 1709 or Later

Can't Update from 1703 to 1709 or Later: Hi, I am completely stuck trying to update my pc from 1703 to anything later. It always gets to about 28% after the reboot and then rolls back to the previous version. I've tried just about everything I can find on the internet to try to get it to update. I've tried the...
  8. Updating from 1703 to 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating from 1703 to 1709: I'm on 1703 with a 365 day deferral. I want to try a manual update to 1709 so I can experiment with getting comfortable with it before the 1703 October 9 eol, but the only resources I can find is for 1803. 111596
  9. Can't Update System Reserved Partition

Can't Update System Reserved Partition: Received this message whilst trying to upgrade my Acer Laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 256 GB SSD to Windows 10 Home. [img] I've previously upgraded my Desktop from Windows 7 Pro SP1 256 GB SSD to Windows 10 Pro & subsequently performed a clean install with no...
  10. Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?

Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?: Hi Guys, I don't think this is a big issue, rather an oddity?... I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1703 on a new PC. Single hard-disk, newlly partitioned as follows: Partition 1: 40GB, set to "Primary, Active) - This is where Windows was...