Windows 10: USB2 and USB3 Host controller code48 after first reboot.

Discus and support USB2 and USB3 Host controller code48 after first reboot. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay, I upgraded from Windows 7 64Bit to windows 10 Home 64bit. Everything ran smooth and fine. I first get into windows (after the "Hi" screen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Snake3169, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Snake3169 Win User

USB2 and USB3 Host controller code48 after first reboot.

Okay, I upgraded from Windows 7 64Bit to windows 10 Home 64bit.

Everything ran smooth and fine. I first get into windows (after the "Hi" screen and setting up apps screen) and I see my desktop. I install the latest video drivers first thing. I go to reboot and when It boots back into windows.

NONE of my USB devices are working at all. I had to use splashtop (remote desktop service) to connect to my windows 10 PC to be able to control it at all. Come to find out.

ASmedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (3 of the listed)

and

Intel C600/X79 series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Controller #1 (and #2)

all had exclamation points in front of them.

I click on them and it is giving me a code 48

which is windows is blocking the driver from starting because it has known issues with windows.

NOW it was working FINE until I rebooted the computer. It has done this TWO times.

I try to update the driver.. it says I have the best driver installed.

I try to manually update the driver using C:/windows as the place to look.. it says I have best driver installed.

I try to uninstall the driver and let windows install it again... same results as above.. it just gets the exclamation mark again immediately.

I tried uninstalling, rebooting.. same results.

I tried looking on Asus's website for USB drivers for windows 10. They have NO USB drivers for windows 10 at all listed under my board. (Asus Rampage IV Formula)

Is there anyway to stop windows from blocking the driver? I also tried checking intel's website for USB drivers for windows 10.. nothing.

Also I tried installing the Intel Chipset Software that is listed on this site, though for some reason it won't let me install it. It keeps asking for SetupChipsetx64.msi, and keeps looking in a folder in which it doesn't exist.. and the .msi is not in the folder that you extract from the download either.

How are manufacturers this unprepared for a OS launch?

is there something I am missing here? any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Snake3169, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Takfuji3 Win User

Plugging in Kindle is crashing windows 10 after summer update

Indeed, the fix is machine dependent. Have tried my four Win 10 machines.

The result is this:

Dell Vostro 460, Win10 64bit

with PCI USB3 card added

Fixed
    USB2
    Intel 6 series/C200 series chipset

Fixed
    USB3
    TI USB3 HCI host controller

Dell Vostro 1220, Win10 32bit
    Not Fixed
    USB2
    Intel HCI9 Family USB Universal Host controller

Surface Pro, Win10 64bit
    Not Fixed
    USB3
    Intel 7 series/C216 chipset

HP Spectre13_4100_X360, Win10 64
    Fixed
    USB3
    Intel USB3 eXtensible Hst Controller

Takfuji3, Jul 30, 2015
  3. DarelDark Win User
    Plugging in Kindle is crashing windows 10 after summer update

It's amazing, look in the same Microsoft
    Surface Pro is not fixed the
    bug. That is what they must assert
    Microsoft customers for them: nothing.

I've been using Windows since its
    2.36 version (on MS-DOS
    3.30), if I remember correctly,
    and debugging of an OS always takes time,
    but go back, that is, that certain
    devices that are current and modern
    become incompatible is something that surprises
    me. I do not understand how you can
    be so careless.

DarelDark, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Snake3169 Win User

good to see this forum has been a lot of help *Biggrin

Snake3169, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    Could be no one knows what a UBS is and don't want to ask. I presume you mean USB. Most modern computers have basic support for USB 2.0 ports but need drivers installed in Windows for USB 3.0. It would appear that's a Custom computer with the ASUS motherboard and should have come with USB 3.0 drivers on the CD or DVD. The brand of the USB 3.0 controller will vary by motherboard manufacturer, my Notebook has the Intel version but my Desktop w/Gigabyte motherboard uses the Renesas controller. Frequently the Chipset drivers need to be installed if doing a clean install of a newer Operating System. Could also be Win10 doesn't fully support drivers for Win7 [and earlier].

Berton, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Snake3169 Win User
    Yes. I obviously mean USB. Problem is. I have upgraded 3 times now. It does it every single time after the first reboot. I have the latest USB drivers from my manufacturer.

Snake3169, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    Given we're two days after release, have a raft of installation issues, hardware not working, BSODs etc you may understand we've been a little busy. Comments like this aren't going to help your cause.

What I would recommend is performing a clean install now you've upgraded. Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Boozad, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Peav Win User

Hi There,

I'm having the same issue - but with the intel C200 / 6 Series mainboard.

Couldn't understand what was causing it at first, but then remembered that I had VNC installed. Remoted on to the pc and checked device manager - all usb disabled with code 48 error - installed default MS ones and the same issue.

However, booting into safe mode causes the issue to go away. Once back in Win 10 the usb work until next shutdown.

My next option is to Clean install incase there is a driver conflict.

Regards

Kev

USB2 and USB3 Host controller code48 after first reboot. [​IMG]

9. Peav Win User
    Quick update - clean install appears to have resolved the issue -completed around 6 reboots and one full power down, with the power cable removed and all is well.
    Win10 appears to install a driver dated 2006 Provided by MS so you may need to install this one for you to get the system to work.
    One thing I did notice - Win10 is a lot faster after a clean install!

10. Snake3169 Win User
    So basically the ONLY way to fix it is a clean install?

Snake3169, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Snake3169 Win User
    and this sounds like a bug with windows upgrade.

Snake3169, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Snake3169 Win User
    Anyone else have this problem while upgrading?

Snake3169, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Peav Win User

Looks like it's a bug. You could try rolling back to your previous OS, install the Microsoft Standard usb controller driver and run the upgrade again? But mine is working fine after a clean install.

14. Snake3169 Win User
    Where would I get the Microsoft standard USB controller driver from?

Snake3169, Aug 1, 2015
  15. Peav Win User
    Go in to the properties page for the USB device and select update driver - then select the standard driver not the intel one.

Thema:

1. USB2 and USB3 Host controller code48 after first reboot. - Similar Threads - USB2 USB3 Host

2. PC case front panel recognizes USB3 key or drive, but not USB2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC case front panel recognizes USB3 key or drive, but not USB2: as the title says, I have no problem to get USB3 key of HDD to show up in Windows explorer when I plug them in my PC case front panel but any USB2 device is not recognized at allif I plug these devices at the back of the Motherboard, they show up normallyany advice how I...
  3. Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?

Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?: Tried to mount a usb2 hard drive in a usb3 port just now with no joy. Not positive, but I think I've done this before. Running version 20H2 and there was a recent update. My laptop also has a usb2 port but it's in an inconvenient location. Should usb2 drive in usb3 port be...
  4. Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?: Tried to mount a usb2 hard drive in a usb3 port just now with no joy. Not positive, but I think I've done this before. Running version 20H2 and there was a recent update. My laptop also has a usb2 port but it's in an inconvenient location. Should usb2 drive in usb3 port be...
  5. Move HDD from USB2 to USB3 enclosure, Windows sees drive but not files

Move HDD from USB2 to USB3 enclosure, Windows sees drive but not files: I have 3 external 2TB HDDs, each in their own USB2 enclosure (Dynamode), used as part of my archiving arrangement. I've used those enclosures for 3 or 4 years with no problems. I decided to move to USB3 for performance improvement. So to see what the real world improvement...
  6. USB2 and USB3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  7. USB2 and USB3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  8. Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket

Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket: My computer is eight years and I am presuming it has USB2. I am not interested in speed but want to use a WD Element with a 3 USB for an external back up. Is it workable please? 117406
  9. Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket: My computer is eight years and I am presuming it has USB2. I am not interested in speed but want to use a WD Element with a 3 USB for an external back up. Is it workable please? 117406
  10. USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket: Hi there crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket. Now if I plug a USB3 HDD (Toshiba) into a USB2 socket where I've connected a powered USB2 hub I'm getting copy speeds of around 76 mb/s. The same HDD...