Windows 10: USB3.0 Issues and Internal HDD shows as removable

Discus and support USB3.0 Issues and Internal HDD shows as removable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; To get a SATA/AHCI driver installed you may need to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. But again, I would hold off on this until you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gil, Feb 20, 2016.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

USB3.0 Issues and Internal HDD shows as removable

Funny because I installed this driver yesterday, regardless of this issue.
    If you look at the driver I mentioned, that is Asmedia, which is for Win7 but NOT for the USB header ports. These ports are Intel.

Please see BIOS settings:
    PC

USB3.0 Issues and Internal HDD shows as removable [​IMG]

I'll have to go to sleep now.. I'll reply back in the morning.... thanks for your help!!

2. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Yeah, no problem

You have a SATA/AHCI driver installed. Just see if it is the generic MS one, or an OEM driver.

3. GIL
    gil Win User
    The 2nd Standard SATA AHCI Controller is a generic one.
    I don't know how to install a driver specifically for this one, as Intel is already installed.
    Got any idea?

Update: ok so after searching according to Vendor ID, I realised it's Marvell Storage controller. So I download the Win7 x64 driver from my mobo website by Asus and installed the driver manually and it now appears under Storage Controllers. However, my D driver still shows as Portable Device

4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Your motherboard has 6 SATA ports on the Intel Asmedia SATA controller, part of the default Intel chipset setup.
    Asus and others enhance the standard chipset setup by adding their own stuff, like a 2 SATA port Marvel controller. The driver you installed seems to have been for the Marvel controller.

Normally when you look at the motherboard you will see 6 SATA connectors in one color and two in another color, this makes identifying which SATA port you are connecting your devices to easy. But sometimes the ports are shuffled a bit and it can be not so obvious.

For testing I think you want to be sure that all the internal drives are connected to the Intel SATA ports.

A good test is to do this:
    • Power off > disconnect all internal and external hard drives except the main OS drive.
    • Make sure the main drive is connected to SATA port 0 (or 1, if 1 is first). Consult your manual to be sure where your ports are.
    • Start the computer. Go to Disk Management and check that the disk is listed as Disk 0
    • Restart into UEFI > check that the drive is recognized on the Main Tab, and that it is not set for Hot Swap on the Advanced Tab
    • Shut Down > and connect the second drive, this time to the next port (Port 1). Perform the same tests as above.
    • Repeat for all remaining drives > do external drives last.
    • Report if any drive does not show up in UEFI on either tab, and whether the same drive or a different drive shows up as removable again.

It is important to completely shut down and remove all power from the system (flip the switch or remove the power cord) between hard drive changes. This is to allow the UEFI/BIOS to re-enumerate the drives in their new ports. The OS reads from this table when it starts up.

And just in case, double check that your SATA Mode setting is set to AHCI Mode in the UEFI.

5. GIL
    gil Win User
    Ok. I'll try that tomorrow as this will be a time consuming operation to get to the cables behind the water reservoir and long GPUs.

As for the USB3.0 issues, seems I'm not alone:
    RE: USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded) - 25
    see my last post.
    "I had to try the USB3.0 intel driver version 1.0.10.255 dated as 17/09/2013.
    In order to be successful in installing the driver I had to edit the iusb3hub.inf and iusb3xhc.inf files to accept Windows 10 (delete lines with NTAMD64.6.2 and change NTAMD64.6.1 to NTAMD64.10.0).
    Then I had to turn off driver signature in Advanced Boot options and install the drivers."

Also attached event viewer log if you'd be so kind to have a look on a USB issue it presents right after wakeup (the external HDD was disconnected)
    system_after_wakeup.zip

P.S. - do you recommend this:
    SlimDrivers Download

6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    A screen shot of the event viewer would be much better.

I've never used SlimDrivers, so I could not comment either way.

Have you tested with another USB 3 device?

7. GIL
    gil Win User
    Ok I'll post a screenshot as soon as I can.

It's not a usb device related. This happens regardless of the device.
    Even if nothing is connected, the port will act as usb 2 after PC wakeup.

Update: added screenshot

8. TV2
    TV2 Win User

9. GIL
    gil Win User
    Yes to all your questions.
    I'll try the link you sent and also I'll try this: USB drive or flash problems? How to cleanup and remove old USB storage drivers - TechSpot Forums

Now as promised, an update on the internal HDD issue:
    So it's been resolved! *Biggrin
    Here's what's going on:
    1. my mobo has 8 ports. 4 SATA3, and 4 SATA 2 (excluding eSATA)
    2. Out of the 4 SATA 3 ports, two are Intel and tow are Marvell.
    3. The other 4 ports are Intel SATA 2 (3Gbs)
    4. The Marvell SATA 3 ports can also be used for SSD Caching. I don't know if it makes a difference.
    5. Once removed the HDD from Marvell and stuck it onto Intel SATA 2 port, it's gone from Portable Devices (boot was too fast to get into BIOS).
    So my HDD specs are 164MB/s which will never saturate SATA 2 speeds, so no issues there, unless the 64MB Cache utilise the SATA 3 but I'm sure it's meaning less.

So... now down to USB 3 issues.

P.S. - I've updated my MEI firmware and driver from here: Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware System Tools and ran a test tool pre and post updated and all passed.
    Obviously, this is dangerous process so I was careful to choose the FW that corresponds with my chipset.

10. GIL
    gil Win User
    Forgot to mention that my SSD intel 520 240GB speeds have been hampered a lot!!

11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    That's good news! Congrats on tracking it down.
    Later, when you have time, you could look in BIOS to see what settings you have available for the Marvel controller. You may be able to set it up properly to work as a 'normal' internal drive controller. I just use mine for eSATA ports on my case, so I never played with it.

Always create a new System Restore Point before making any changes to the PC. While it is not always a cure-all, it does make the process of undoing a mistake so much easier.

For USB, same thing. We just need to track down, step by step, what is missing and why.

12. GIL
    gil Win User
    I'm not too sure if it's related with all my messing around with drivers for the USB3.0 issue, but now I'm seeing this Legacy Device under Device Manager> System Devices:

I uninstalled it but it keeps coming back. I didn't have that before and I'm sure I have drivers for it.
    I'm currently running the Asus beta drivers intel chipset for Win10.

13. GIL
    gil Win User

I'm back to square one, mate.
    I can't install MEI drivers or Chipset drivers any more... something is iffy... is there a tool to remove intel drivers completely?

14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I can't be sure, as that VEN & DEV is unusual, but if I were to guess I would say it is the ACPI (Power Management) function.
    I wouldn't mess with it.

15. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Not that I am aware of.

But this is where System Restore can save you. It's pretty good at restoring the system after driver installs.

Do you have a Restore Point to before you messed around with it?

Tip: select an old restore point and then click on "Scan For Affected Programs" to see if it will remove the offending driver installs.

Thema:

1. USB3.0 Issues and Internal HDD shows as removable - Similar Threads - USB3 Issues Internal

2. Internal HDD having some issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal HDD having some issues: Roughly a month ago I bought a PC second hand. Before buying it it appeared to run just fine and it continued to do so once I had it set up at my place. The computer came with 2 hard drives, a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Upon starting to download some software and other items I...
  3. Internal HDD having some issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal HDD having some issues: Roughly a month ago I bought a PC second hand. Before buying it it appeared to run just fine and it continued to do so once I had it set up at my place. The computer came with 2 hard drives, a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Upon starting to download some software and other items I...
  4. Internal HDD having some issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive: Hi, I want the secondary HDD in my laptop to be recognised as removable. This way I hope that the drive can automatically spin down without ever being spun up for no apparent reason by the OS, if set to something like quick removal which should disable write caching on the...
  6. Internal HDD-0 is locked by a password?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internal HDD-0 is locked by a password?: So I plugged in my line in aux cable from my guitar amp into my laptop and it froze, the screen went black, but the backlight was on and I could still hear stuff in the background. So I decided to shutdown my computer by holding the power button fora set amount of time, I am...
  7. New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally

in Windows 10 Support
    New HDD not show in W10 internally or externally: New 1TB Seagate that I've formatted NTFS and used for a month to test a clone. Three partitions, the middle unused, the last has some BU data. When I go into W10 Disk Management it can recognize the disk but says it's not initialized. Obviously why it won't format it via MBR...
  8. Internal HDD not showing in Explorer, shows in DiskMgmt as Unallocated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal HDD not showing in Explorer, shows in DiskMgmt as Unallocated: Booted up from sleep this morning after using the PC fine last night, only to discover that my partition of one of my Seagate drives had vanished from Explorer. Checked Disk Management and it is showing up in there and registers as 'Online' however all the space is now...
  9. Internal HDD not showing in Explorer, shows in DiskMgmt as Unallocated

in Windows 10 Support
    Internal HDD not showing in Explorer, shows in DiskMgmt as Unallocated: Booted up from sleep this morning after using the PC fine last night, only to discover that my partition of one of my Seagate drives had vanished from Explorer. Checked Disk Management and it is showing up in there and registers as 'Online' however all the space is now...
  10. Internal HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal HDD: Hi All.I have a Zoostorm desktop had it at the end of last year. It has a SSD & a Second hdd ''spinner''.All is working well the only issue is when I want to open a document there is a slight delay in the opening of it as all documents pictures etc are all stored on the...