Windows 10: USB3 external HDD speeds what are you getting

Discus and support USB3 external HDD speeds what are you getting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks what sort of HDD speeds should you guys be getting say copying files from external USB3 HDD to an internal spinner (not SSD). (Cheap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

USB3 external HDD speeds what are you getting

Hi folks

what sort of HDD speeds should you guys be getting say copying files from external USB3 HDD to an internal spinner (not SSD).

(Cheap 5400 RPM drives -- not "Black" or super fast SCSI ones and no RAID in operation).

Same File system on both HDD's (EXT4 in this case as I'm using Linux so no NTFS overhead in conversion. On Windows similar result with NTFS - a bit slower though - but that's windows NTFS limitation).

I'm getting around 260MiB/s (bits) so about 85 MB/s (bytes/sec)

USB3  external HDD speeds what are you getting [​IMG]

Is that sort of "normalish"

Or could I expect more.

USB3 in theory has almost as much "throughput potential" as e-sata but it never seems to work out quite as fast as I would like.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017

2. USB3 External Backup Drive Never Shuts Down (Always Runs), Should It Shut Down When Idle?

I am trying to figure out if my USB3 external HDD should go into idle/sleep when inactive?

1) I am running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell X51-R2 (w/ (2) 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM).

2) I have a connected an external USB3 Vantec NexStar base for my backup (w/Western Digital HDD).

3) I have installed Acronis True Image 2018 for daily backups.

My backups run fine but the external HDD in the NexStar base is always running.

Is there a setting in Windows where I can tell the USB3 External HDD to sleep and then wake when called upon? Or should the
    USB3 External HDD always be running (seems to me that would shorten the life of the HDD)?

WilliamCurtindale, Feb 5, 2017
  3. Hdd USB3 external VERBATIM

I see the HDD 4 Teras, on the devices manager, but not with the HDD of the computer ( c: ) , so.... i am not able to do nothing with it. Is a new one disk the 4 TERAS external with USB3. How can i put it work? Tks ALL.

Manuel NunesGrangeia, Feb 5, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

That sounds about right. I have seen speeds of around 90MB/sec, but that's about the max.

pparks1, Feb 5, 2017
  5. Clint Win User
    WD 3TB USB 3 My Book external HD to Seagate 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM.

USB3  external HDD speeds what are you getting [​IMG]

Clint, Feb 5, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Yeah, I think the MyBook runs a 7200 RPM 3.5" drive. I've only run with smaller 2.5" drives on the USB 3 ports.

pparks1, Feb 6, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Thanks guys

around 70 / 90 MB/s in bursts (or up to about 250 Mibs sustained) is fine when you aren't transferring TB worth of data !!!! -

So it's obviously OK to be able to use these sorts of HDD's for extra storage on a NAS - especially if backing up a NAS without it taking forever - and also as a quicker way to upload content rather than over a Network (especially a Wifi one --ugh !!!).

As a test though data transfer on Linux with ext4 seems to outperform Windows considerably (when both disks are running SAME File system - e.g NTFS-> NTFS or EXT4->EXT4 i.e no overhead due to SMB / CIFS or FUSE (Linux ntfs read/write) for SUSTAINED file copying -- Windows can copy small files quite quickly but say copy a 7GB UHD video file and the rate slows to about half of the Linux -- maybe Windows file system set up wrong.

Thanks again for the info on USB 3 speed. It's hard to get "Real use" performance as on the box you get things like max theoretical speed - and with old slower clunky HDD's you are never going to get any where near 3 Gib/s !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 6, 2017
  8. pparks1 Win User

Even with some SSDs you aren't going to get 3 gigabits per second in the real world.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB3 external HDD speeds what are you getting - Similar Threads - USB3 external HDD

2. HDD speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD speed: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this?This was asked back in 2018 and your reply Nikhar Khare was to explain how to view disk performance. Not an answer to the question.Do you have a helpful reply to: "Has MS solved...
  3. HDD speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD speed: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this?This was asked back in 2018 and your reply Nikhar Khare was to explain how to view disk performance. Not an answer to the question.Do you have a helpful reply to: "Has MS solved...
  4. Speed of HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speed of HDD: I have filled my 1TB 4 Years old HDD Hard Disk Drive upto 150GB though it is quite slow.I have tried everything defragmentation, indexing, background apps, startup apps, clearing up space. I know that SSD may solve these problems but I am not instresed in investing an amount...
  5. Speed of HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speed of HDD: I have filled my 1TB 4 Years old HDD Hard Disk Drive upto 150GB though it is quite slow.I have tried everything defragmentation, indexing, background apps, startup apps, clearing up space. I know that SSD may solve these problems but I am not instresed in investing an amount...
  6. Hardware issue-USB3 external Disk.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware issue-USB3 external Disk.: USB [mainly] USB3 CABLE connectors: The new SSD disks are really a pain keeping connected as the Connectors are so small they do not to stay connected. The female connector is small not like the older BIGGER USB1 and USB3 did. The slightest wiggle they come loose and Windows...
  7. Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port: I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution.... My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3 port. The mouse is about 3 feet away from the receiver. My mouse is a Logitech M310. I don't have the problem if a USB 2...
  8. Speed up USB3 File Transfer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Speed up USB3 File Transfer: I was copying some large Hyper-V vhds to an external ssd from an internal ssd via usb3, and I was getting a sedate 130 MBS even through the ssds can handle close to 500 MB/S and USB3 can handle up to 480 MB/s. Of course, we all know that in the real world, you are lucky if...
  9. Upload speed to Onedrive servers. What are you getting?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Upload speed to Onedrive servers. What are you getting?: What kind of upload speed are you guys getting to your Onedrive server? I have a 1Gb/1Gb connection and get a max upload of about 80Mb/s (10MB/s). I was hoping to upload large gigabyte files utilizing my 1Gb upload pipe. 84826
  10. USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket: Hi there crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket. Now if I plug a USB3 HDD (Toshiba) into a USB2 socket where I've connected a powered USB2 hub I'm getting copy speeds of around 76 mb/s. The same HDD...