Windows 10: USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

Discus and support USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket. Now if I plug a USB3 HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

Hi there

crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket.

Now if I plug a USB3 HDD (Toshiba) into a USB2 socket where I've connected a powered USB2 hub I'm getting copy speeds of around 76 mb/s. The same HDD plugged into the USB3 socket is only giving me speeds of around 30 mb/sec. I'm copying the same file from an internal SSD.

So far I haven't seen any advantage in using the USB3 socket over a USB2 powered hub -- is this W10 not having proper USB3 support yet,

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 25, 2015

2. Lumia 950 usb

My pc (windows 10) won't recognize my Lumia 950 via usb3 using the lead supplied with the phone. It does work if I reach round the back of the pc for the only usb2 socket. Do I have to settle for this slower connection on a 21st device?

CraigHoughton, Nov 25, 2015
  3. Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard USB3 ports not recognised in Win 10

I can't get Win 10 to recognise either the port or a USB3 device connected to it.

I've applies the latest BIOS 2501 successfully and the BIOS sees the HP drive attached but, although HP Portable 1TB's light remains on , the Win 10 Device Manager neither sees it nor the port. The drive works fine on a USB2 port. I've tried to update divers
    using Devise Manager but all are "up to date"

I have noticed that Show Hidden Devices show Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). Properties says:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Tried update this driver and reconnecting the HP drive. Also tried this USB3 socket with a USB2 Flash Drive, this was also not seen.

Seems like there's a problem with the Win 10 driver for the Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard's USB3 ports.

Any ideas what I can do?

JohnMalpass, Nov 25, 2015
  4. edobson Win User

Have you checked to see if your USB 3.0 driver is up to date? Windows 10 definitely does support USB 3.0 so it sounds more like a driver or hardware issue.

edobson, Nov 25, 2015
Thema:

1. USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket - Similar Threads - USB3 HDD slower

2. Move HDD from USB2 to USB3 enclosure, Windows sees drive but not files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move HDD from USB2 to USB3 enclosure, Windows sees drive but not files: I have 3 external 2TB HDDs, each in their own USB2 enclosure (Dynamode), used as part of my archiving arrangement. I've used those enclosures for 3 or 4 years with no problems. I decided to move to USB3 for performance improvement. So to see what the real world improvement...
  3. Reliable USB3 powered hubs?

Reliable USB3 powered hubs?: Greetings. I have purchased and used a few usb3 hubs. All have failed over time. Even the powered ones. Anyone have recommendations for ones that are reliable that will support 5 or more usb drives/sticks ? thx. 137196
  4. USB2 and USB3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  5. USB2 and USB3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB2 and USB3: Win 10 seems to sort problems its own way. On Win 7, there's no trouble about plugging in USB 2 devices. But when I plug in my camera [PRAKTICA Z250 - not a Smithsonian exhibit] on the Win 10 pc the pics don't download with an on-screen choice, no matter how I set up the...
  6. Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket

Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket: My computer is eight years and I am presuming it has USB2. I am not interested in speed but want to use a WD Element with a 3 USB for an external back up. Is it workable please? 117406
  7. Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    Will a USB3 work in a USB2 socket: My computer is eight years and I am presuming it has USB2. I am not interested in speed but want to use a WD Element with a 3 USB for an external back up. Is it workable please? 117406
  8. USB3 HDD slower than ext laptop HDD USB2==>SATA cable

USB3 HDD slower than ext laptop HDD USB2==>SATA cable: Hi there WD passport (small self powered 2 TB USB3 drive) has appalling performance compared with an OLD laptop HDD that I connect via a USB2==>SATA cable to USB2 port. Same file (2GB mp4 video) copied to a directory on the SSD. External laptop HDD connected via...
  9. Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?: Hi. My brother in law has asked me if I can install broadband in his shed, he has shown me photos of the wired sockets he has but he is unsure what they are and I can't tell for sure from that pic. Could you tell me if that socket in the photo is for a ethernet plug or a...
  10. USB2 and USB3 Host controller code48 after first reboot.

USB2 and USB3 Host controller code48 after first reboot.: Okay, I upgraded from Windows 7 64Bit to windows 10 Home 64bit. Everything ran smooth and fine. I first get into windows (after the "Hi" screen and setting up apps screen) and I see my desktop. I install the latest video drivers first thing. I go to reboot and when It...