Windows 10: USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update

Discus and support USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a problem with my USB3 ports. Prior to upgrading to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10, both my USB2 and USB3 ports worked fine. If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mike Craft, Nov 7, 2016.

1. USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update

Hi,

I have a problem with my USB3 ports. Prior to upgrading to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10, both my USB2 and USB3 ports worked fine. If I plugged in my external USB3 drive into a USB2 port, the white light on the drive illuminated and the drive operated using USB2. If I plugged the same drive into a USB3 port, then the blue light on the drive illuminated and the drive operated at the higher speed of USB3.

Having updated my system to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10, I can only make the external drive operate on USB3 if it is plugged into a USB3 port when I power the PC up, or reboot. If I power up the PC with the drive disconnected and then plug it into a USB3 port at a later time, then it only operates as a USB2 device.

Can anyone suggest why the USB3 drivers only seem to load when the PC powers up with a USB 3 device connected??

Regards,
    Mike

:)

Mike Craft, Nov 7, 2016

2. Win 10 Upgrade killed my USB3 ports, need solution

I used the USB3 ports before installing Win 10 on my Dell Inspiron. Now the USB3 ports do not work. Devices plugged into the ports simply do not show up in File Explorer. Suggestions on other sites included update drivers, but the MS driver update feature
    says the best driver is already in place.

I welcome suggestions and references.

Thank you.

Charles Le Grand, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Windows Phone 8 isn't playing nicely with the PC

I have also noticed that my phone never works on USB3 ports, only USB2 works correctly.

Matthew McDermott, MVP, Nov 7, 2016
  4. USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update

Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with this some more and it definitely looks like the USB3 drivers are not being loaded at power-up unless a USB3 device is connected at the time. Once the drivers have loaded. I can disconnect and move my USB3 device to any other USB3 port and it works.

Can anyone suggest a reason why these drivers are only being loaded if a device is connected at power-up and give my any clues on how to make them load by default as they did before the Anniversary upgrade??

Regards,
    Mike

Mike Craft, Nov 9, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    I can suggest a reason, but it may not be a valid one: device enumeration occurs during boot-up, and drivers get loaded to match devices found. In your case, for some unfathomable reason, the system is not detecting USB 3 from the ports themselves, but has to find a device for them to register and be loaded. Here's a highly relevant snippet from the board layout info in the manual:

USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update [​IMG]

It will be interesting for you to determine if the ports you're talking about come from the Intel Chipset or the added VIA USB 3 hubs. I've seen weird issues with VIA hubs before, but the Intel stuff is usually pretty solid. Sorry to say, though, I'm unfamiliar with this particular Gigabyte mobo, though.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 9, 2016
  6. It's been awhile since reading a USB 3 overview but as I recall it, USB 3 identification begins in the initial hardware handshake that occurs between the Root hub on the m/b and the downstream USB device. This h/w signalling on the USB bus cable indicates when the data bus and both ends are ready and able start send/receive data. A USB 3 device indicates bus speed by an added signal on one of the wires that makeup the bus. That's part of how they accomplish backward compatibility. USB 3 sends a signal during the handshake a USB 2 device does not.

Only when the hardware handshake is completed successfully, the device sends (and Windows expects to read) device data. The USB device sends its Descriptors (burned into its firmware) which identify the device (so windows can find a suitable driver) and also has a USB 3 flag set. (By the way, when the hardware handshake fails is when Windows gives that familiar "Unrecognized USB Device" message. Windows knows a device is out there but the h/w handshake sequence failed so Windows can't receive Windows identification data. The device is "unrecognized")

So I'd reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers. Also check if there any newer release. Also check if there's a BIOS update.

ComputerGeek, Nov 10, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    I agree with CG's explanation and analysis. I'm guessing it's most like the VIA drivers that are causing your difficulties, though.
    Good luck!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 10, 2016
  8. USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for replying. I took the covers off of the PC this morning, but it is impossible to work out which ports are direct from the Z77 and which ports come off of the "via" hub. The manual for the motherboard does not give enough info. Anyway, I tried a USB 3 device on all of the available ports with the same results, so I guess that until I can find an updated driver from Gigabyte, I will just have to leave a USB3 device plugged in all of the time.

Anyway, many thanks for the ideas.......

Regards,
    Mike

Mike Craft, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update

1. USB3 Ports not working correctly after Win 10 Anniversary Ed Update - Similar Threads - USB3 Ports working

2. USB ports not working correctly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB ports not working correctly: I am having issues with the USB ports on my HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 1809 My USB 3.0 external HDDs (various) either randomly disconnect, go into sleep mode after about 10 minutes or display a USB device not recognised notification when plugged in My USB 2.0 TV...
  3. USB ports stop working after Win 10 1909 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB ports stop working after Win 10 1909 update: I have a friend with a fairly old Packard Bell oneTwo M3700 all-in-one machine which had been running Win 10 Home 64 bit 1809 quite happily for many months. Without warning in its wisdom the machine decided to install 1909 - all appeared to go fine with no errors reported and...
  4. Cannot login to win 10 anniversary update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot login to win 10 anniversary update: Of course after I set everything to not need password login my PC and MS reset everything back to login with password or PIN. Sure these are all saved, on drives etc. only accessible from the PC environment. There is a lot of bad information on how to successfully recover...
  5. Win 10 Ann Ed - "Shutdown without updating"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Ann Ed - "Shutdown without updating": Hi ALL, My main desktop PC updated to Win 10 Ann Ed without any problem as did my sister's desktop. I was over to my sister's house the other day and doing something on her PC when I went to shut it down I was offered 4 choices: Restart with updates Restart without...
  6. Win 10 Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Anniversary update: My Laptop, running Win10 Pro 64-bit, updated yesterday, and I am now on this version. Is this the latest? i.e. the MS Anniversary update? [img] 58665
  7. USB3 ports on Logilink PCI ExpressCard are not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB3 ports on Logilink PCI ExpressCard are not work: Okay, I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro 64Bit to windows 10 Pro 64bit. Everything ran smooth and fine. But my USB3 ports mounted on a Logilink product (Art. PC0058) PCI ExpressCard 2xUSB3 work only as power supply. The error indicated by device manager point to USB Root hub...
  8. Problem update win 10 anniversary 75%

Problem update win 10 anniversary 75%: I have read a lot of people have this problem. at 75% the installation failed. i have try with media tool e windwos update but it's the same i have on the pc avira comodo firewall malware antibytes and malware anti exploit [img] caricare immagini 58685
  9. ISO for Anniversary Win 10 update

ISO for Anniversary Win 10 update: Does anyone have a link for the ISO file (to make a bootable DVD) for the Anniversary Win 10 update? Thanks, Gerry 64809
  10. Computer doesn't restart correctly after anniversary update

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer doesn't restart correctly after anniversary update: Anytime I restart my computer or the power goes off it doesn't restart correctly. Basically, there is a black screen with a spinning circle with dots and it will stay that way for hours. The only solution I've found is to insert the windows 10 anniversary update usb I made...