Windows 10: Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer

Discus and support Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello My "old" (10 yea rs) computer crashed (motherboard and processor) but the system disk is still readable I had a new computer built with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Serge007, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Serge007 Win User

Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer

Hello
    My "old" (10 yea rs) computer crashed (motherboard and processor) but the system disk is still readable
    I had a new computer built with the latest hardware
    When I sttart to boot from the "old" system disk, after a few seconds, I have a "Blue Screen Of Death" (I have no time to the message !)

The problem is probably that the new hardware is completely different from the old one

Is there a way to boot the old system so I could at lease get back some data ?

Thanks for your help Have a good day

:)

Serge007, Jul 20, 2018

2. Migrating old Win 10 system to New computer

My granddaughter's old laptop has a fried motherboard and she has many Apps and files for graphics work (no games) that she needs to transfer to a new laptop computer. There is an older backup but alas not a recent one.

The existing hard drive has the free Win 10 update (from Win 8) and I was hoping to migrate the whole System/Apps/Data to the new computer but the hard drive is an MBR disk and the new computer is UEFI and won't boot the old drive which I have connected
    with a USB enclosure while changing the boot type to Legacy. Presently, I have no means to access the old drive system, but can read the files as an external USB hard drive. There is a lot of data and older graphics apps that would take forever to re-establish
    individually to the new drive.

My options are:

1.) Backup the old hard drive and restore to a GPT disk, but the new computer can only read it as an external drive, and probably not the system.

2.) Copy the old hard drive to new hard drive but this will lose App settings in the registry.

3.) Convert the old drive from MBR to GPT if possible without losing Apps data and settings.

4.) Magic? - other suggestions would be appreciated.

My grand daughter is paranoid that any of the above will cause loss of data/settings, and I am trying to be her knight in shining armour, with arts college starting in a few days.

Michael

mfoster3139, Jul 20, 2018
  3. xarzu Win User
    new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Jul 20, 2018
  4. Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer

Non-system disk or disk error in Windows 10

Hi Aixa,

The Non-system disk or disk error usually occurs when the
    computer is unable to find an operating system on any of the storage devices. When this happens, the computer won't be able to load your
    Windows operating system. To determine what's causing this issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • What steps have you done so far to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Kristoffer Abs, Jul 20, 2018
Thema:

Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer

1. Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer - Similar Threads - old system disk

2. System Using 90% Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Using 90% Disk: Hi,I am a Windows 10 user!I am getting a problem of 100% Disk usage of which A task named System is using 90%.My laptop is becoming slow day by day.The only thing I am doing is being in an Online meeting with MS Teams.Any help would be appreciated.My PC Specs:-Lenovo Ideapad...
  3. System Using 90% Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Using 90% Disk: Hi,I am a Windows 10 user!I am getting a problem of 100% Disk usage of which A task named System is using 90%.My laptop is becoming slow day by day.The only thing I am doing is being in an Online meeting with MS Teams.Any help would be appreciated.My PC Specs:-Lenovo Ideapad...
  4. Transfer old hard disk to new computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer old hard disk to new computer?: Hello, I would like to transfer my HDD with Windows and all games to my new PC (different CPU, different board and RAM), because the game installations take hours with my internet. Can I take over this without problems or do the drivers overlap? Alte Festplatte in neuen...
  5. Putting old disks into new system. Windows doesn't show them.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Putting old disks into new system. Windows doesn't show them.: I've put together a new PC with an SSD and it's been working well for a couple of weeks. I wanted to put a couple of old drives out of another system into this one. One drive has a linux install (1TB drive), and the other one (2TB) was just files. I was hoping to to set up...
  6. Using an old computer's name on a new replacement

Using an old computer's name on a new replacement: I am getting a new computer to replace one that died. I'd like to use the old computer's name as other devices are linked to it in a home network. Will this cause any problems?...
  7. Old to new computer in system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old to new computer in system: Hello. When I try to get an app in my MS account it states it is downloading to my old computer not my mew one. It downloads but does it matter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-to-new-computer-in-system/187f43c9-ad1d-4c76-81fb-2c2cff0ace5e
  8. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  9. Install old computer on new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install old computer on new computer: I have an HP LaserJet 1018 printer. There is no driver for Windows 10. This printer was installed on my Windows 7 laptop when I upgraded to Window 10. After the upgrade, the printer still worked fine. I now have a new Windows 10 laptop and I would like to be able to use...
  10. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...: I need to create a new boot disk for a laptop I was using. I have the Windows 10 Home system disk that WAS in that laptop. I want to take the O/S OFF that disk and put it on a DIFFERENT disk.... I plugged both disks into a different PC, fired up Easus Todo Backup and did a...