Windows 10: Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10

Discus and support Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 How to Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Outsider418, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10

How to: Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10

How to Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10

packaged apps (aka: Microsoft Store apps), and packaged app installers.

AppLocker defines DLL rules to include only the .dll and .ocx file formats.

The following table lists the default rules that are available for the DLL rule collection.

Any DLL file not allowed by the default rules below will automatically be blocked by default unless you create a new rule to allow it for a user or group.

If you want to block a DLL file allowed by the default rules below, you will need to create a new rule to block (deny) it for a user or group.

[table][tr]Purpose Name User Rule condition type [/tr] [tr][td]Allows members of the local Administrators group to run all DLLs[/td] [td](Default Rule) All DLLs[/td] [td]BUILTIN\Administrators[/td] [td]Path: *[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Allow all users to run DLLs in the Windows folder[/td] [td](Default Rule) Microsoft Windows DLLs[/td] [td]Everyone[/td] [td]Path: %windir%*[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Allow all users to run DLLs in the Program Files folder[/td] [td](Default Rule) All DLLs located in the Program Files folder[/td] [td]Everyone[/td] [td]Path: %programfiles%*[/td] [/tr] [/table]

*Warning Important: If you use DLL rules, a DLL allow rule has to be created for each DLL that is used by all of the allowed apps.

*Warning Caution: When DLL rules are used, AppLocker must check each DLL that an app loads. Therefore, users may experience a reduction in performance if DLL rules are used.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to use AppLocker to allow or block specified DLL (.dll and .osx) files to run for all or specific users and groups in Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to use AppLocker.

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and close the elevated command prompt when it has finished. (see screenshot below)

*note This command is to make sure the Application Identity service is enabled, set to Automatic, and running. AppLocker cannot enforce rules if this service is not running.
    *Arrow sc config "AppIDSvc" start=auto & net start "AppIDSvc"

Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Open Local Security Policy (secpol.msc).

4. Expand open Application Control Policies in the left pane of the Local Security Policy window, click/tap on AppLocker, and click/tap on the Configure rule enforcement link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Advanced tab, check the Enable the DLL rule collection box, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Enforcement tab, check the Configured box under DLL rules, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Expand open AppLocker in the left pane of the Local Security Policy window, right click or press and hold on DLL Rules, and click/tap on Create Default Rules. (see screenshots below)

*note If this step is not done, AppLocker will block all DLL files from running by default unless allowed by a created rule.

8. Right click or press and hold on DLL Rules, and click/tap on Create New Rule. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

10. If you would like to specify a user or group to enforce this rule on, click/tap on Select. (see screenshot below)

*note The default setting is Everyone for all users and groups.

A) Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Find Now button. (see screenshot below)

C) Select a user or group you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

D) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

11. Select (dot) Allow or Deny for what you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

12. Select (dot) Path, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

13. Do step 14 (file) or step 15 (folder/drive) below for the file or folder path you want to specify to allow or block.

14. To Specify a DLL File Path to Allow or Block
    A) Click/tap on the Browse Files button. (see screenshot below)

B) Select if you want to allow or block a .dll or .ocx file in the drop menu at the bottom right corner. (see screenshot below)

C) Navigate to and select the .dll or .ocx file you want to allow or block.

D) Click/tap on Open, and go to step 16 below.

14. To Specify a Folder or Drive Path to Allow or Block All DLL Files in the Folder or Drive
    A) Click/tap on the Browse Folders button. (see screenshot below)

B) Navigate to and select a folder or drive you want to allow or block all DLL (.dll and .osx) files in.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 16 below.

]
    16. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

17. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

18. Click/tap on Create. (see screenshots below)

19. Your new rule for "DLL Rules" will now be created. (see screenshot below)

20. Repeat steps 8 to 19 if you would like to create another new rule to allow or block another DLL file for a user or group.

21. When finished, you can close the Local Security Policy window.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Outsider418, Dec 5, 2017

2. Block a DLL with Applocker

Hi all,

On my organization we want to implement Applocker to block unauthorized DLLs. So far, I've created a very simple test, I've created an exe file that loads a function stored on a DLL. I created the program using visual studio and C#.

Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 6f2c0613-d5bb-4701-ac86-8d5fbbf047d6?upload=true.png

I followed the instructions posted here to block the DLL that my EXE file uses to work using Applocker.
    This are my settings

Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 a296efb7-61f2-42a9-9661-dd35c92fd9fd?upload=true.png

Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 b695c03b-a2cf-4400-a535-d2280777fe6d?upload=true.png

Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 89f752ff-185f-4e2a-9fc3-cfa9433ac3cb?upload=true.png

For my surprise this don't stop my program from loading the function in the DLL. Is there a way to achieve this using Applocker?

OliverCaceres, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
  4. ahmd Win User

Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10

How to set up AppLocker restrictions on Windows 10 Pro?

Dude, thanks for the info and sorry for my late reply. I've been bashing my head against it but I still can't make it work. I did everything like it says there but it still didn't do anything. It doesn't block anything. The only difference that I see in your tutorial is this line:

Like I said I have Pro.

5. chisle Win User
    Applocker not blocking -- Win10Pro, Applocker configured, AppIDsvc run

• Applocker: configured blocking of apps and executables
    • Applocker rules: set to enforcing
    • Service: AppIDSvc is running

I've been trying to get Edge and a couple other utilities blocked on the laptop to keep distractions to a minimum for my child who uses the computer to study.
    However, even after rules are defined, and they are set to enforcing as blocked, the apps and executables are still available to them -- even after a reboot.

I have followed the instructions here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral
    However, there is still no blocking of the apps or the executables.
    Thank you for your consideration.

chisle, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Applocker - audit mode - EXE and DLL - What's that program?

Hello the Community,

I'm going to implement Applocker. I'm in the Audit phase. Everything is running smoothly.

So far, the only log that I find strange is the follow :

%11 was allowed to run but would have been prevented to run if the Applocker policy were enforced.

Any idea what the 11% stands for? Which file or dll? ...

Kind regards,

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy / PC

Laurent Maene, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10

1. Use AppLocker to Allow or Block DLL Files from Running in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - AppLocker Allow Block

2. How do I block executables from running using applocker in a corporate / enterprise...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I block executables from running using applocker in a corporate / enterprise...: Hello, I am looking for helps blocking executables and unwatned apps from being ran on corporate and field PCs. We have windows pro and enterprise editions and I am looking for what would be the most efficient way of doing this. I have tried configuration profiles in intune...
  3. How do I block executables from running using applocker in a corporate / enterprise...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I block executables from running using applocker in a corporate / enterprise...: Hello, I am looking for helps blocking executables and unwatned apps from being ran on corporate and field PCs. We have windows pro and enterprise editions and I am looking for what would be the most efficient way of doing this. I have tried configuration profiles in intune...
  4. AppLocker Allowed Executable Runs Denied DLL

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AppLocker Allowed Executable Runs Denied DLL: I am testing AppLocker's functionality to assess suitability for protecting a windows application from tampering. My goal is to test the robustness of its rules in the face of DLL hijacking. As a test I have a simple executable compiled from C# that displays a window and...
  5. Block a DLL with Applocker

in Windows 10 Customization
    Block a DLL with Applocker: Hi all, On my organization we want to implement Applocker to block unauthorized DLLs. So far, I've created a very simple test, I've created an exe file that loads a function stored on a DLL. I created the program using visual studio and C#. [ATTACH] I followed the...
  6. Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Windows Installer Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Windows Installer Files in Windows 10: How to: Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Windows Installer Files in Windows 10 How to Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Windows Installer Files from Running in Windows 10 packaged apps (aka: Microsoft Store apps), and packaged app installers. AppLocker defines Windows...
  7. Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Script Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Script Files in Windows 10: How to: Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Script Files in Windows 10 How to Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Script Files from Running in Windows 10 packaged apps (aka: Microsoft Store apps), and packaged app installers. AppLocker defines script rules to include only...
  8. Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Executable Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Executable Files in Windows 10: How to: Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Executable Files in Windows 10 How to Use AppLocker to Allow or Block Executable Files from Running in Windows 10 packaged apps (aka: Microsoft Store apps), and packaged app installers. AppLocker defines executable rules as any...
  9. Windows 10 1703 - no "blocked" message from Applocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 1703 - no "blocked" message from Applocker: Trying to whip Win10 Enterprise into shape for our environment and just did my first Applocker policy (created the rules on a Win10 machine, exported and imported into my policy on our domain controllers). It worked mostly as expected. On the account of which the policy was...
  10. Applocker not blocking -- Win10Pro, Applocker configured, AppIDsvc run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applocker not blocking -- Win10Pro, Applocker configured, AppIDsvc run: OS: Win10Pro Applocker: configured blocking of apps and executables Applocker rules: set to enforcing Service: AppIDSvc is running I've been trying to get Edge and a couple other utilities blocked on the laptop to keep distractions to a minimum for my child who uses the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com