Windows 10: Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

Discus and support Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 You can use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

How to: Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

How to Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. Windows 10 includes a touch keyboard for PCs.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16215, a microphone button has been added to the touch keyboard so you can now use dictation to input English or Chinese text on desktop. Currently only available for English (United States) and Chinese (Simplified) input methods.

This tutorial will show you how to use touch keyboard voice dictation on the desktop in Windows 10.

Besides dictating text, you can also use voice commands to do basic editing or to input punctuations. Below are some examples of English dictation voice commands:
    • Say “press backspace” to inject a backspace character
    • Say “clear selection” to unselect the text that has been selected
    • Say “press delete” to inject a delete keystroke
    • Say “delete that” to delete the most recent speech recognition results, or the currently selected text
    • Say “delete last three words” to delete the last three words
    • Say “stop dictating” to terminate the dictation session
    • Say “end spelling” to terminate spelling mode
    • Say “go after <word or phrase>” to move the cursor to the first character after the specified word or phrase
    • Say “go to the end of paragraph” to move the cursor to the end of the paragraph
    • Say “move back to the previous word” to move the cursor to the left side of the previous word
    • Say “go to start of <word or phrase>” to move the cursor to the first character before the specified word or phrase
    • Say “go to the start of paragraph” to move the insertion point to the start of paragraph
    • Say “go down to next sentence” to move the cursor forward to next sentence
    • Say “go to the end of the sentence” to move the insertion point to the end of the sentence
    • Say “move to the start of the word” to move the insertion point to the start of the word
    • Say “go to the left” to inject a left arrow into input
    • Say “move right” to inject a right arrow into input
    • Say “select <word or phrase>” to select the specific word or phrase
    • Say “select that” to select the most recent speech recognition result
    • Say “select next three words” to select the next three words
    • Say “start spelling” to switch to spelling mode
    • Say “comma” (or “period”, “question mark” etc.) to input the punctuation “,” (or “.”, “?”, etc.)

Here's How:

1. Click/tap on the microphone button in the top left corner of the handwriting panel, or press the dictation hotkey Win + H. (see screenshot below)

Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. When you see it Listening, you can start dictating into your microphone. (see screenshots below)

*note You will also hear a sound to let you know when it's listening and has stopped listening.
    (Win+H)

(Touch keyboard)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 24, 2017

2. Windows 10 touch keyboard has stopped appearing

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

A quick question before we proceed:

What is the KB number of the update you have installed?

To know the KB numbers of the failing updates, follow the below steps:

• In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
      • In the left pane, click View update history.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to enable touch keyboard when there is no keyboard attached to the device.

• Press the Windows key
      or click on Start icon.

• Click on Settings.

• Click on Devices.
    • Click on Typing.
    • Scroll down and toggle on: Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached
      to your device.

Method 2:

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.

2. Open the Keyboard and close it (just to check if it’s working).

2. Next click on Action center and select Tablet Mode.

3. Once you are in Tablet mode, again Right click on the Task bar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button.

5. Open the Key board and check if it’s working in Tablet mode. Next check if it’s available on the task bar in both desktop and tablet mode.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Dictation touch keyboard Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the Microphone stays locked on the Touch keyboard, if you are using any application that requires the Microphone feature. If you switch between applications that doesn’t require Microphone, you will not be able to see Microphone icon on the
    Touch keyboard.

However, I would suggest you to post a screenshot of the Touch keyboard so that we can assist you with the appropriate steps.

Please refer how to include a screenshot
    in your post
    to upload the screenshot.

Note: Make sure you don’t capture any personal information while taking the screenshot.

Please get back to us with the details to assist you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Add the Touch Keyboard Icon to the Action Center

Hi Doug,

Adding the touch keyboard on the items in Action Center is currently not available in Windows 10. However, you can change the settings to automatically show the touch keyboard when you use the device in tablet mode. If you'd like to do this, you can
    follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Open Settings.
    • Select Devices.
    • Go to Typing.
    • Under Touch keyboard settings, switch on Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there’s no keyboard attached to your device.

If you want to provide a feedback or suggestion to Microsoft to have the touch keyboard available in Action Center, you can post it
    here.

Let us know if the suggestion above works for you.

Keep us posted.

Ruz San, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Dictation not working.

Hello Lina,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Are you using dictation in Windows or Office application?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Did you make any changes to the computer before this issue started?

I suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps:

Step 1: To dictate text:

1. Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Windows Speech Recognition.

2. Say "start listening" or click the Microphone button to start the listening mode.

3. Open the program you want to use or select the text box you want to dictate text into.

4. Say the text that you want dictate.

Step 2: You may refer Microsoft article related to Dictating text:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042244/windows-10-use-dictation

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14198/windows-7-dictate-text-using-speech-recognition

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking "Yes or No.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Problem in windows 10 Touch Keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can get the touch keyboard icon:

• Right Click on the task bar on empty place and
    • Select the option which says Show touch keyboard button

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Use Dictation on Desktop from Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Dictation Desktop Touch

2. Laptop touch screen and touch keyboard use statistics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop touch screen and touch keyboard use statistics: We would like to collect stats on how often a laptops touch screen is used and when the windows touch keyboard is activated. Is this information logged and how can we retrieve this? or how can we log this information?We hope to use this data to determine if we should continue...
  3. Laptop touch screen and touch keyboard use statistics

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop touch screen and touch keyboard use statistics: We would like to collect stats on how often a laptops touch screen is used and when the windows touch keyboard is activated. Is this information logged and how can we retrieve this? or how can we log this information?We hope to use this data to determine if we should continue...
  4. Unable to sign into Windows using the touch keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to sign into Windows using the touch keyboard: I currently have my device set up to use the touch keyboard. After I updated to Windows 11, version 22H2, and restarted Windows, I find that I’m no longer able to enter my password at the sign-in screen. When I tap on the touch keyboard to try to enter my login password,...
  5. How to start dictate on Windows 11 without using the keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to start dictate on Windows 11 without using the keyboard?: I'm not a fan of keyboard shortcuts, but I was perfectly happy using Win + H to start speech-to-text typing in Windows 11. I was really enjoying the new ability to use speech typing in notes too. Then last week's update messed it up, but I'm not sure. Now all keyboard...
  6. How to start dictate on Windows 11 without using the keyboard?

How to start dictate on Windows 11 without using the keyboard?: I'm not a fan of keyboard shortcuts, but I was perfectly happy using Win + H to start speech-to-text typing in Windows 11. I was really enjoying the new ability to use speech typing in notes too. Then last week's update messed it up, but I'm not sure. Now all keyboard...
  7. How to start dictate without using the keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to start dictate without using the keyboard?: I'm not a fan of keyboard shortcuts, but I was perfectly happy using Win + H to start speech-to-text typing last week. I was really enjoying the new ability to use speech typing in notes too. Last week. Then comes Microsoft to come along with yet another big update to just go...
  8. How to start dictate without using the keyboard?

How to start dictate without using the keyboard?: I'm not a fan of keyboard shortcuts, but I was perfectly happy using Win + H to start speech-to-text typing last week. I was really enjoying the new ability to use speech typing in notes too. Last week. Then comes Microsoft to come along with yet another big update to just go...
  9. Windows 10 Touch Keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Touch Keyboard: So I bought a s****y new Windows 10 tablet with all kinds of bells and whistles. My only problem is that I apparently type too fast for the on screen keyboard. When you hold a letter, it comes up with some obscure charcters that nobody will ever realistically use, myself as...
  10. How to Use Dictation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Use Dictation in Windows 10: How to: How to Use Dictation in Windows 10 How to Use Dictation to Talk instead of Type in Windows 10 You can use Dictation to convert spoken words into text anywhere on your PC with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. In the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, Dictation...