Windows 10: Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host

Discus and support Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is it possible for HyperV to use a different network connection (say wireless) for the VM, while the host machine uses the wired connection? If so, how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GatsbyGlen, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host

Is it possible for HyperV to use a different network connection (say wireless) for the VM, while the host machine uses the wired connection? If so, how does one set that up?

Thanks!

:)

GatsbyGlen, Jan 31, 2018
  2. SarahKong Win User

Hyper-V Virtual Machine not recognised

Ok that's why you can't add it... Virtual Machines are stored in a .vhd or .vhdx file. The xml file is used for the VMs but you also have to have a valid vhd

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-vs-relatio...

Are you trying to import one you used previously or just trying to create a new VM?

SarahKong, Jan 31, 2018
  3. HP2294 Win User
    Hyper-V host cannot RDP into local clients running in an internal network

I have installed Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machine and are running a few different test machines on it. My test machines have two Nics -- One is disabled and primarily used when I need them to connect with the internet for various downloads etc. The other
    Nic is connected to an internal switch on the host with hardcoded IP's allowing the VMs to always communicate with each other.

My problem is when I attempt to RDP into the VMs from the host machine I am not able to reach them. IF I log into the machines first through the Hyper-V console and toggle a Nic (i.e. disable/enable one of the nics) I am able to RDP into the VM until it
    is rebooted again (My host is a laptop so they are being shutdown nightly).

I did mess around with the network settings on a previous setup and had it working -- but I am unable to reproduce the same settings. Currently the host is all "auto" setup by the system with three switches:

• External linked to my Wireless Nic
    • External Linked to my Physical Nic
    • Internal switch used for the VM's communicate amongst each other
    Any ideas on what network settings I am missing that will allow me to connect to the VM's instantly through an RDP connection? (I can console connect but prefer using RDCMan).

Thanks,

HP

HP2294, Jan 31, 2018
  4. Plankton Win User

Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host

Yes....during the hardware setup of the VM. You simply select what network adapter you want to use.

Plankton, Jan 31, 2018
  5. It appears I have to create a virtual switch in HyperV and point that to the wireless network adapter. However, I first have to connect the host via wireless in order for the VM to connect. I was hoping I could just connect with the VM to the wireless, and then hardwire the host.

GatsbyGlen, Jan 31, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    If the host isn't on wireless, the VM can't be on wireless, either. All network hardware has to "get physical" at some point for it to be usable inside a VM. While I understand your wishes quite well, I also hope you understand why those wishes are doomed without a physical wireless connection being made somewhere down the line...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host

1. Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host - Similar Threads - Different Network Hyper

2. Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network: Hi, My situation is as follows:I'm in a dorm room with a single ethernet port, and no wifi. Currently I'm using my windows PC to act as a router for all my other devices, with a wifi antenna attached to it. Currently I'm making use of the Hotspot, but it's not that reliable...
  3. Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network: Hi, My situation is as follows:I'm in a dorm room with a single ethernet port, and no wifi. Currently I'm using my windows PC to act as a router for all my other devices, with a wifi antenna attached to it. Currently I'm making use of the Hotspot, but it's not that reliable...
  4. Hyper-V guest VM blocks host's network connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V guest VM blocks host's network connection: Hi, I have a weird issue on my Windows 10 Enterprise and I've spent hours to solve it in vain. I have HyperV enabled with several VMs created. I have an external virtual switch created for my Wifi connection that is used by the VMs. Everything was running just fine for a...
  5. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V: Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in...
  6. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host: Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on...
  7. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  8. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  9. Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.: Not a big deal as easy enough to get round issue but I discovered something odd when using rdp. I have a vm and in enhanced mode, it is sett up to show host drives in the VM and this works fine. If I remote connect to Host using Splashtop, I can see the Host drives in...
  10. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...