Windows 10: Use either mouse button at login screen

Discus and support Use either mouse button at login screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; With Windows 8.1 either mouse button could be used at the login screen to select a user account for login. In Windows 10 it seems that only the left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NickJP, Oct 8, 2015.

1. NickJP Win User

Use either mouse button at login screen

With Windows 8.1 either mouse button could be used at the login screen to select a user account for login. In Windows 10 it seems that only the left mouse button can be used at the login screen. With kids, some of whom are left-handed and use the mouse left-handed, this is confusing, as they click on their user name but nothing happens. Once they login the mouse buttons work as they expect, but for the left-handed ones, the mouse doesn't work as they expect at the login screen. The previous Windows 8.1 behaviour was preferable.

:)

NickJP, Oct 8, 2015

2. Cannot enter password on the login screen, screen frozen and mouse does not work

I turned on my laptop and my mouse is fully moveable however if I try to click the text box to login it isn't working and the power button on the bottom hand corner of the screen doesn't seem to be clickable either

I turn on my pic and it crashed at login page- Original Title

finlaymaher, Oct 8, 2015
  3. Windows 10 login screen does not appear

I found I need to use the Esc key to get to the login screen.

Once there my mouse moves around the screen, but neither left or right click work. In order to navigate the screen, I have to use the Tab key through the different options. The login for the admin account has been the default, so far.

I found ALL my mouse (Evoluent 3) buttons were disabled after conversion to W10. Had to rest the buttons for the mouse for EACH account on the computer. My wife was the first to log into her account after the conversion, so I don't know if resetting the
    mouse buttons for the admin account first might have eliminated the need for the individual reset.

cbrueckman, Oct 8, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 8, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Until someone can provide a solution, an alternative is to use the keyboard. Press Enter on the lock screen with the time to see the available user accounts. Use the arrows to highlight your account and press Enter to login. I know it is not very convenient, but is an option. Using the keyboard the kid will not be confused as it is the same for either left-handed or right-handed persons. Another option would be to automatically login to the children account (assuming there are two accounts a children and adults) and if you need to login to the adults account you can just logoff first. I don't remember how to do it right now. Reply if interested and we will be glad to help.

spapakons, Oct 8, 2015
  6. NickJP Win User
    Thanks. The problem with the present mouse behaviour at the login screen is that it is inconsistent. If a left-handed user has been using the machine and left it logged in and locked, the mouse at the login screen is setup for a left-handed user, with the left mouse button not doing anything at all, which confuses a right-handed user who comes along and wants to log themselves in. Whereas if the machine has been freshly booted up or if a right-handed user has left the machine logged in and locked, then it's the right mouse button that doesn't do anything at the login screen.

NickJP, Oct 9, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Yes, I understood that. But if your kids all use the same "children" account, then it is not a bad idea to login automatically to that account to avoid these issues. When in lock screen you just press Enter twice. The first removes the picture with date and time and the next logins to their account, unless they have a password which must type. To login to another account simply logoff first. It doesn't take too much time. Using the keyboard is consistent for both left-handed and right-handed so there is no confusion. It will be weird at first but they will be used to it after a couple of days.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Use either mouse button at login screen - Similar Threads - either mouse button

2. Mouse sticking to side of the screen on login, unable to click buttons with finger or mouse.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse sticking to side of the screen on login, unable to click buttons with finger or mouse.: Using Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 22H2, fully up to date... This just started happening recently about a week ago, my mouse gets stuck and frozen on the side of the login screen, making me unable to use it or the touch option to login properly. I can only do it with my Slim...
  3. Mouse sticking to side of the screen on login, unable to click buttons with finger or mouse.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse sticking to side of the screen on login, unable to click buttons with finger or mouse.: Using Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 22H2, fully up to date... This just started happening recently about a week ago, my mouse gets stuck and frozen on the side of the login screen, making me unable to use it or the touch option to login properly. I can only do it with my Slim...
  4. Windows 10 freezing on welcome or login screen, mouse and keyboard wont work either

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 freezing on welcome or login screen, mouse and keyboard wont work either: My pc boots up normally but when I get to the welcome screen it takes a longer time than it did before to take me to the login screen. Then at the login screen it just freezes and wont let me use my mouse or keyboard ive noticed that my cursor displays a loading icon before...
  5. Using left mouse button and right touchpaper button as Main Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using left mouse button and right touchpaper button as Main Button: I'm right-handed and it seems logical to me to want to use the left-hand mouse button with my 1st Finger on my right hand AND the right-hand side of the touchpad with the same finger as the Main Button on both. However, my Surface Pro won't let me do that, I think........
  6. How to use either mouse button on lock screen?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to use either mouse button on lock screen?: Hi, I am using a Windows 10 machine with four active users. One of them is left handed, the others are not... Ever since I upgraded to Win10 everybody on the machine finds her-/himself using the wrong mouse button at least once a day. On Windows 7 both mouse buttons could...
  7. Windows 10 either freezes after login or black screen before login

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 either freezes after login or black screen before login: The problem from the older thread about graphic driver persisted, but uninstall and reinstalling the same driver didn't do anything to fix at all. It was fine yesterday until I put it to sleep and left it for around 3 hours. The laptop froze a lot when I tried to login in...
  8. Blank screen with no login button on login screen

Blank screen with no login button on login screen: I turned on my HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 operating system. Usually there was no lock screen but the lock screen was displayed. After I clicked the lock screen, the background just went blank. I think the login screen should be shown. The first photo is the lock...
  9. Keyboard, mouse and ease of use options not working on login screen

Keyboard, mouse and ease of use options not working on login screen: In my last two attempts to log in to the my computer I experienced that my keyboard, mouse and ease of use options stopped working. But the thing is that:- Keyboard and mouse are actually working but not when I'm trying to enter my password. Clicking on ease of use options...
  10. No Login Screen and No Power button

in Windows 10 Support
    No Login Screen and No Power button: My wife's computer just updated last week, and now we can't use it. It boots to the "bright" wallpaper, and then when you pull up on the screen to get to the password, the screen dims a little and nothing else. In the past, the screen dimmed a little and asked you for your...