Windows 10: Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10

Discus and support Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10 How to Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10 When you rename... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 11, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10

How to: Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10

How to Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10

When you rename a drive, file, and folder in Windows, the name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > |

Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10 [​IMG]

In Windows 10, you can use the Emoji Panel to include an Emoji in the name of a drive, file, and folder.

Emoji are ideograms and smileys used in electronic messages and Web pages. Emoji are used much like emoticons and exist in various genres, including facial expressions, common objects, places and types of weather, and animals.

When you use an emoji in a drive, file, or folder name, the emoji will be a basic black and white version.

*Warning Any drive, file, or folder that includes an emoji in its name, you will not be able to link to it in a command prompt or when sharing over a network. If this is an issue for you, then do not include an emoji in the name. Otherwise, using an emoji in the name could help make it less accessible to unwanted sources.

This tutorial will show you how to use the Emoji Panel to include an emoji in drive, file, and folder names in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. While on your desktop (Win+D) or in File Explorer (Win+E), rename the folder you want to use an emoji in its name. (see screenshot below)

2. While renaming, press the Win + period (.) or Win + semicolon (Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10 ;) keys to open the Emoji Panel. (see screenshot below)

3. You can use a combination of numbers, letters, and emoji for the name. When finished renaming, close the Emoji Panel, and press Enter to save the new name. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 11, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10 :)

Frogger, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

No emojis!

Hi Bob,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. When you say “having NO EMOJIS”, may I know where exactly you are looking for the emojis?
    2. What is the build of Windows 10 running on your system? To check that, press the
      Windows key and R key, type winver and press
      Enter.

I understand your interest in emojis and we are glad to inform you that the emojis have been introduced into the Windows 10 operating system. If you are looking for a way to access it, I would suggest you to refer the article on

Windows 10 Tip: Get started with the emoji keyboard shortcut
    to get access to smiley faces, people, celebration emojis etc. in your Windows 10 operating system.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Oct 27, 2019
  5. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Jaune Bel Win User
    How to fix emoji keyboard not showing up using shortcut

Hi,

This issue is often caused by a corrupted or missing data file. To better isolate if this is a user profile specific or an emerging issue, we suggest that you create a new user profile and try to use the same keyboard shortcut to get the emoji keyboard to
    show up. Here's the link for the steps on how to:
    Set up accounts

In the meantime, we'll give you the steps for a workaround to access the emojis. Here are the steps:

• Right-click on the Taskbar.
    • Select the Show touch keyboard button option and a keyboard icon will show up on your
      Taskbar.
    • Click the keyboard icon and select the emoji button.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

Jaune Bel, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Use Emoji in Drive, File, and Folder Names in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Emoji Drive File

2. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  3. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  4. Files names not showing in folders windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files names not showing in folders windows 10: At the beginning of this week my folders started to not showing the files and folders names, also in some others programs the text is missing too. Is there any way for solving this issue without reinstalling windows.Thanks for your help...
  5. File folder name

File folder name: When I'm trying to type a name into a new file, it will stop me after so many characters. What is going on? How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-name/87c6a0f0-b69b-4506-ac4f-3d340bdc3f21
  6. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  7. Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder: I used to be able to open and search a Windows 10 folder for documents whose name contains a pattern of letters and Windows 10 would display all the documents with that name pattern separately. I could then copy and paste everything displayed into another folder to work on...
  8. TIL Windows supports emoji drive names

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    TIL Windows supports emoji drive names: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/instilledbee [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i0nqwm/til_windows_supports_emoji_drive_names/
  9. How to add Emojis to File and Folder names in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Emojis to File and Folder names in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]For users who find visual elements more appealing, Windows 10 has made it easier to identify files and folders by adding Emojis to their names. Yes, Microsoft has made it possible for Windows users to use Emojis in the names [...] This post How to add Emojis...
  10. Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Folder and File Names stuck to the left: I had Windows 10 briefly about a year ago, and I downgraded to Win 8.1 soon after. Frankly, other than the annoying million hour updates, I hated hated hated how folder and file names suddenly after one of the major updates were all stuck to the left, and there was no...