Windows 10: Use Local account with Windows Store

Discus and support Use Local account with Windows Store in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Local account with Windows Store How to Use Store without Switching to Microsoft Account in Windows 10 [img] Information The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by xbliss, Aug 5, 2016.

1. xbliss Win User

Use Local account with Windows Store

How to: Use Local account with Windows Store

How to Use Store without Switching to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Use Local account with Windows Store [​IMG]
    Information The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download and install for their Microsoft account in Windows 10 PCs and devices.

There are several reasons why users will continue using local accounts in addition to Microsoft accounts. In my case for instance I like to set up Windows 10 PC with a local adminitrator account and add my my Microsoft account as a standard account. Other users might have other reasons to use local accounts.

Whatever reason you have to use a local account, if you want to use apps from Windows Store you will need a Microsoft account. If you don't have one you can create a new Microsoft account.

However, to download and install apps from Windows Store you don't have to switch to a Microsoft account. You can continue using a local account to sign in to Windows, and use the Microsoft account only to sign in to Windows Store to download apps.

This tutorial will show how to continue using Windows with a local account using Microsoft account only to sign in to Windows Store to be able to install apps.
    Note The screenshots in this tutorial are made in Build 14342. The process itself is however the same in all Windows 10 versions and builds.

Preparations: Create a Microsoft account if you don't have one
    Create new Microsoft account with an outlook.com email address:

Create new Microsoft account using your existing third party email address:

Using Windows Store when signing in to Windows with a local account
    1.) To open Windows Store, click / tap its icon in Start:

2.) Search for an app, click / tap the button showing its price ("Free" if the app is free). A Choose an account dialog opens, click / tap Microsoft account:

3.) Enter your Microsoft account credentials, click / tap Sign in:

4.) If prompted for verification, enter the last four digits of your phone number, click / tap Next, enter the code you received and click Next:

5.) Click / tap Sign in to just this app instead:

Warning Do not enter your current Windows password, do not click Next in this dialog! In doing so you will convert your local Windows user account to a Microsoft account.

6.) Store starts now to download and install your chosen app:

7.) You are still using a local account to sign in to Windows. your chosen app has been installed. You can now download additional apps from Store still using a local account in Windows:

That's it!

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

xbliss, Aug 5, 2016

2. Windows 10 Local Account

And we get a tutorial that shows us how to create a dang account instead of how to get our . Like we are stupid! Ugh!

local account, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Local Account

I am logged into my Microsoft account and I want to log into the current I have used for years. When I followed instructions, it wants me to create a new instead of just adding the current one. How do I add the current one that
    has all of my settings already established on my computer?

Thanks.

Staci

local account, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Kari, Aug 5, 2016
  5. glockster Win User
    I'm having an issue with a fresh install of Windows 10 (Pro) Version 1511 (Build 10586.545) using a local account to log in. I am able to open the Windows store app and have tried using the the process described in this thread as well as using the login icon in the app, neither bring up a login screen or wizard to add my Microsoft account to store.

I created a new user on my PC using my Microsoft account and the app store works just fine from there, except I'm unable to see the installed apps logging in as the local user.

I noticed MS if having some issues with the MS store for about a week or so. Has anyone experienced this issue or know how to fix it for a local user? Thanks in advance!

glockster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Use Local account with Windows Store - Similar Threads - Local account Store

2. use windows 10 with microsoft account or local account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    use windows 10 with microsoft account or local account?: i rememebr it was a requirement to sign into my new pc with a microsoft account, so i made one, but i dont find a use for it and i saw one of my friends use a local account. i want to log out of my microsoft account on my pc and delete the account, i dont use any microsoft...
  3. Use microsoft store on local account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use microsoft store on local account: I just converted my win10 machine to local account, but found out that microsoft store does not work on local account. All guides online seem to be 2-3 yrs old and not work. How to use it on local account? Am on win10 pro version 1909 submitted by /u/f36a [link]...
  4. Wanting to use a local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wanting to use a local account: I have windows 10 and want to switch to using a local account, but when I bring up my account info, the saying "Switch to a local account" is no where to be found. It shows up on my other computers, just not this one. Any thoughts why it isn't there and what can I do to...
  5. use local account instead

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    use local account instead: I recently signed in to my microsoft accunt on my notebook, and now I'm forced to login using my microsoft account which i don't want to. So I tried to changing settings in user accounts to permit me login with my local account instead, but whenever i get to the ''current...
  6. Using Local and MS accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  7. Local account and signing into Windows Store

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local account and signing into Windows Store: I used a local account, not my Microsoft account, when signing into my computer when it had Windows 8.1, and that's also the case after installing Windows 10. When I try to sign into the Windows Store with my MS account, I get a message that says "sign into this device for...
  8. Local Account and Store Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Account and Store Access: I'm trying to use a local account and access my Store account (a Microsoft account) while signed into that local account. I presume I solved this with Windows 8/8.1 because that's what I have going. Can someone refresh my memory? I'm going to write the process down this time!...
  9. Using MS Store to install apps with Local Account?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using MS Store to install apps with Local Account?: I know that in Win 8.1 you can use your local account, go to the MS Store and install applications by simply selecting the app and installing it. At most, the system will want you to validate using your MSA, but not insist on switching your account to the MSA. In Win 10...
  10. Can I use Local Account to log in but Microsoft Account for Store

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I use Local Account to log in but Microsoft Account for Store: Title says it all. I like to boot up and log in with no password but I want to use my Microsoft account when I am fooling with store apps. Is this possible? 14892