Windows 10: Use Recovery Image or User Data Corrupted backup of Windows 10

Discus and support Use Recovery Image or User Data Corrupted backup of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 . System started with error messages but a restart usually resolved. Performed backup using the Windows 7 backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Newfie, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Newfie Win User

Use Recovery Image or User Data Corrupted backup of Windows 10

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 . System started with error messages but a restart usually resolved.
    Performed backup using the Windows 7 backup , system image and user data
    System running extremely slow again, could not resolve it. Took 30 minutes to boot.
    Repair shop found hard disk was failed, replaced it and did a clean install of Windows .

I am ready to do a restore of either the system image or user data from my backup. The backup is on an external USB drive, created using the backup and recovery program from Windows 7 available in Windows 10. There is a very strong possibility that my only backup has errors on it because the hard drive was failing when the backup was done. So, I am looking for the easiest way to repair any Windows files that are corrupted while keeping the user accounts and data in place should I use system image restore? Had many non Windows programs installed like Nero 2013, Mozilla Thunderbird email etc.

I know a reset with keep user apps will fix the corrupted Windows files but I would have to reinstall all non Microsoft programs and data. That is a lot of work...
    What is the sequence to restore back the user data ? Do I create the user accounts first and then reinstall the non Windows programs and finally restore the user data??.??
    If I restore the system image the only thing I have to correct is any possibly corrupted Windows files? I would not have to reinstall non Windows 10 programs and data.

Do I have to download Windows 10 as an iOS file , place it on a USB or on my desktop so if there are corrupted Windows 10 files. Do I have all the media already available??

Or, should I create the user accounts, then download and install all previously installed non Windows programs like Nero 2013 or Windows live mail and then restore the user data ? A lot of work indeed

In summary, I have a clean install of Windows 10 , a system image and user data from a backup taken while I had a failing hard drive. What is the best thing to do to restore my user data and what order do I do things in and what media do I need to have before I start i.e. An iOS copy of Windows 10 on my desktop or on a USB drive?
    I would appreciate your help

:)

Newfie, Sep 25, 2015

2. Recover with corrupted backup to Windows 10 hard drive failure

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 . System started with error messages but a restart usually resolved.

Performed backup using the Windows 7 backup , system image and user data

System running extremely slow again, could not resolve it. Took 30 minutes to boot.

Repair shop found hard disk was failed, replaced it and did a clean install of Windows .

I am ready to do a restore of either the system image or user data from my backup. There is a very strong possibility that my only backup has errors on it because the hard drive was failing when the backup was done. So, I am looking for the easiest way
    to repair any Windows files that are corrupted while keeping the user accounts and data in place should I use system image restore? Had many non Windows programs installed like Nero 2013, Mozilla Thunderbird email etc.

I know a reset with keep user apps will fix the corrupted Windows files but I would have to reinstall all non Microsoft programs and data. That is a lot of work...

What is the sequence to restore back the user data ? Do I create the user accounts first and then reinstall the non Windows programs and finally restore the user data??.??

If I restore the system image the only thing I have to correct is any possibly corrupted Windows files? I would not have to reinstall non Windows 10 programs and data.

Do I have to download Windows 10 as an iOS file , place it on a USB or on my desktop so if there are corrupted Windows 10 files. Do I have all the media already available??

Or, should I create the user accounts, then download and install all previously installed non Windows programs like Nero 2013 or Windows live mail and then restore the user data ? A lot of work indeed

In summary, I have a clean install of Windows 10 , a system image and user data from a backup taken while I had a failing hard drive. What is the best thing to do to restore my user data and what order do I do things in and what media do I need to have
    before I start i.e. An iOS copy of Windows 10 on my desktop or on a USB drive?

I would appreciate your help

PaulCardoulis, Sep 25, 2015
  3. Is My Understanding of Windows Bare Metal System / Images Backups vs. File Backups ... and Restores Correct?

So my understanding of it is like this, there are two types of backups, and they are Image Backups and Data / User File backups...

• Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Can be created with wbadim system state backup
        • Then if the Data / User File Backups are included in it, they can be removed by mounting the Image Backup, and removing the Data / User Files from it to save on space (see
          this
          )
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Excludes the Data / User File Back
        • Includes installed programs and OS system files.
        • On Windows, you'll probably also want to remove any temp files from the image such as:
          • pagefile.sys
          • hiberfil.sys
          • swapfile.sys
      • When?
        • It's best to make this after you have the machine setup the way that you want with the programs already installed on it, and after updates are installed, you'll want to back it up again...this isn't always possible, but it's likely the best time to do this.
    • Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Usually a full backup is created and then incrementals or differentials after that (and of course use a strategy like GFS)
      • When?
        • Run more frequently than image backups, these backups are scheduled and run when few people are using the system...
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Only includes the data /user files, and it does not include any of the system files and program files like the Image Backup.
    Then when you need to do disaster recovery, you restore the Image Backup first, and then when it's been recovered you add back in the
    Data / User File Backups to the system.

I know that the Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
    can be removed from the xvhd file back created in the system state backup to decrease it's size by mounting it and deleting said files
    . But I'd like to know if I first restore the
    Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups), and then restore my Data / User File Backups will I still be able to use the machine as it was when I did the backups?

Is my understanding of this correct? Is there anything I missed?

Thank you,

Andrew J. Leer

Andrew Leer, Sep 25, 2015
  4. Newfie Win User

I am responding to this post asking users to please review my post and offer suggestions. I need to het this machine up and running yesterday and I can only turn to fellow users, like you or help.

Newfie, Sep 25, 2015
  5. Newfie Win User
    Did an sfc and dism commands to find and repair Windows 10 files

Newfie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Use Recovery Image or User Data Corrupted backup of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Recovery Image User

2. Corrupt HDD + BitLocker + Data Recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupt HDD + BitLocker + Data Recovery: Hey guys, I have a BarraCuda 500GB 2.5 HDD. The HDD is failing. I checked with HD Tune Pro and it only gets about 2% error scan before it just fails and won't scan anymore. Lots of damaged blocks. The HDD is encrypted with BitLocker. I have the 48 number key. The laptop where...
  3. Recovery Of Deleted User data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Of Deleted User data: I have an old user on my hp-all in one PC that i have deleted and i want all the data from that user back the name of the user is sreedeep sreederhan my new user's name is aarav sreedeep...
  4. Backup and Recovery of Windows Image.

Backup and Recovery of Windows Image.: Hi, I want to maintain a System Backup image so that whenever something goes wrong with my laptop I can restore Windows to the exact same point at the time of my Backup. Restore Point is an Option if Windows is working fine, But I want a backup that can recover everything...
  5. system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system image backup fails. Migrate user data only ?: welp, this hard drive is fubar. Can't create a system image in any program because certain LBAs cause every backup software to hang and fail. So the next best option is to just migrate user data. Will Chrome browser data and cookies be transferred properly? Last time I...
  6. Local APP Data corrupted. *With images*

Local APP Data corrupted. *With images*: Hey! So I got a notification earlier "Your pc is running out of space" even though it should be mostly empty. I did a scan with spacemonger and got some shocking images. Seems like there is some error on my pc that makes it believe that my appdata maps really old ones from...
  7. Windows 10 Image backup

Windows 10 Image backup: Since I upgraded to SSD system drive I get an error 0x8078004F when attempting an image backup. Thought this was because I had EFI partitions on two drives. Deleted one and kept the one on the system drive but still no good. I would appreciate some ideas Lee Brooker...
  8. Windows 10 Image Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Image Backup: Hi, Please help me as fast as you can! I have created a WindowsImageBackup and saved it to an external hard drive with another folder having my personal files on in. so now my hard drive have 2 folders the imagebackup and personal folder. after creating the windows image it...
  9. Recovery from corrupt user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery from corrupt user profile: I normally log on to my laptop (Windows 10, 32-bit) using my Microsoft account. Just over a week ago, it developed a fault, telling me that I had entered an incorrect password. I knew this wasn't the case as I can still log on to my other computer using the same Microsoft...
  10. image backup windows 10

image backup windows 10: recommendations for windows 10 image backup ? many thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/image-backup-windows-10/4777c933-ca9d-463a-aa5e-5bdd2d8f1858