Windows 10: Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10

Discus and support Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 How to Change to Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Stephanie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Stephanie Win User

Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10

How to: Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10

How to Change to Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10

Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial will no longer work starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015.

You can use this instead: How to Turn On or Off to Use Full Screen Start in Windows 10

Information Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 with the Start screen from Windows 8 merged together as one.

This tutorial will show you how to toggle to use the old resizable Start Menu or Start Screen at will in your user account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set Start Menu or Start Screen in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties
    • Option Two: Set Start Menu or Start Screen using a BAT File

EXAMPLE: Start Menu

EXAMPLE: Start Screen in Start and Apps view

OPTION ONE [/i] Set Start Menu or Start Screen in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties
    1. If you have not already, you will first need to enable using the resizable Start menu.

2. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar, and click/tap on Properties.

3. Do step 4 or 5 below for what you would like to do.

4. To Use Start Menu instead of Start Screen
    NOTE: This is the default setting on a desktop PC.
    A) Check the Use the Start menu instead of the Start screen box, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below step 5)
    5. To Use Start Screen instead of Start Menu
    NOTE: This is the default setting on a touch PC (ex: tablet or laptop).
    A) Uncheck the Use the Start menu instead of the Start screen box, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Sign out and change settings button to apply. (see screenshot below)

Note If you click/tap on Cancel, then it will undo your setting change.

Warning Be sure to save anything you have open before clicking on the Sign out and change settings button.

7. You will now be signed out of Windows, and you will then need to sign back in to Windows.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set Start Menu or Start Screen using a BAT File

Note The .bat files below are to change the registry DWORD values in the key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

EnableXamlStartMenu DWORD

0 = Enable resizable Start menu

EnableStartMenu DWORD

0 = Use Start Screen
    1 = Use Start Menu

1. Do step 2 or 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Start Menu instead of Start Screen
    NOTE: This is the default setting on a desktop PC.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_Start_Menu_instead_of_Start_Screen.bat

Download
    3. To Use Start Screen instead of Start Menu
    NOTE: This is the default setting on a touch PC (ex: tablet or laptop).
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_Start_Screen_instead_of_Start_Menu.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop and run it.

5. If prompted, click/tap on Run.
    NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the downloaded .bat file.

6. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close, and your screen flash while applying the changes to your registry and to restart explorer.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file(s) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Stephanie, Oct 1, 2014
  2. kj59 Win User

Windows 10 - can use start menu or settings or click on sertain things with my mouse, can still use the keyboard

to answer you questions

1. I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, when i got the option to. but like i mentioned the problem started occur a couple of months after the upgrade. i recently did a clean instal to try to fix this

2. I ran the sfc /scannow with no problems/ errors found. I also ran
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and the command was not valid/file missing so that didnt work tried 3 times will try again soon

what does this command do?

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

now another question

if i chose the option reset pc and chose clean instal. Basically it just cleans the disk and run the instal of windows local on my computer. i'm starting to think it might be something wrong with the instal files of windows and each time i instal i still
    get the same result. i will try to instal it from an external device with a different windows file, and old version perhaps and then install the patches using windows update do you think that would work?

thank you for your help its highly appreciated Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 :)

kj59, Oct 1, 2014
  3. kj59 Win User
    Windows 10 - can use start menu or settings or click on sertain things with my mouse, can still use the keyboard

Hi, i have experienced this problem now for a while and decided to ask the community and see if anybody have the same problem/solution for the problem.

What have i done to try to fix this

- Re-format disk and reinstalled a clean version of windows 10

- Tried with 4 different mice

- Re-installed drivers for the mouse /downloaded fresh ones from the companies websites

- Tried different usb ports both 2.0 and 3.0

- went in to mouse settings to see if there was an option or usb driver missing

Sitrep

this started a month after i got windows 10 and sometimes i can click on the start menu and options tab but it seems like most things interfere since if i start a program or game the problem occur or even if i wait between 10min to 2hours the problem also
    occurs

i can still klick on the desktop and in certain areas programs if the problem is "active"

kj59, Oct 1, 2014
  4. Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10

Thanks for info

I like the original start screen, but this new start menu looks interesting

good to be able to swap between them

paulsalter, Oct 1, 2014
  5. LittleJay Win User
    Hi Shawn. I upgraded a copy of W7 to W10 and noticed that the option to use the Start Screen is grayed out and can not be checked. So I will try out option 2 and see if it works. Thanks for the info!

LittleJay, Oct 1, 2014
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Barry,

Interesting. May be an issue with upgrading.

Brink, Oct 1, 2014
  7. Pendaws Win User
    Very good Shawn, I will be using this soon. *Smile

Pendaws, Oct 1, 2014
  8. LittleJay Win User

Hi Shawn. The 2nd option worked just fine! Thanks much!

LittleJay, Oct 1, 2014
  9. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, Shawn. *Smile

I'm glad that we have the option.

Tony K, Oct 2, 2014
  10. dencal Win User
    Brink. In your opening post, I quote see your attachment.
    Unless I have misunderstood you cannot "toggle" between the Start Menu and the Start Screen as is possible in W8.1 by just simply pressing the Windows key, or perhaps by using another key in W10.
    This would then satisfy those who would like both options available without having to alter Taskbar and Navigation Properties.
    Even better still toggle between the Apps Screen and the Start Menu.

dencal, Dec 2, 2014
  11. Tony K Win User
    The WinKey doesn't toggle between Start Menu and the Start Screen in 8/8.1, nor any other key or key combo. WinKey opens the Start Screen as it does the Start Menu in 10TP or prior OSs. It'll open the Start Screen in 10 if configured to use instead.

Tony K, Dec 2, 2014
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 2, 2014
  13. dencal Win User

I should have stated that the WinKey toggles between the Desktop and the Start Screen in W8.1.
    It would be in my opinion invaluable to have the same option in W10, though that might not be possible due to the fact that the WinKey is already in use in W10 to bring up the Start Menu on the desktop.
    As already stated I know you can configure to be either one or the other, see my original post, but it would be handy to do both without resorting to reconfiguration each time.

dencal, Dec 2, 2014
  14. dencal Win User
    It does indeed.
    As usual you come up with the perfect answer, but is this your own concept? and will something similar hopefully be incorporated by Microsoft in W10 when they eventually release it to the general public

dencal, Dec 2, 2014
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, they were both created by me.

Hopefully Microsoft will incorporate not having to sign out/in to change using the Start screen/menu using the same method.

Brink, Dec 2, 2014
Thema:

1. Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Start Menu Start

2. windows 10 slow start menu on start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 slow start menu on start: Hello, it seems last post was blocked but user clearly said problem in not fixed and i have same form time to time. onece a month maybeI was able to see something that may be small tip to devs. While start menu couldnt be working i was able to observe on task manager that in...
  3. windows 10 slow start menu on start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 slow start menu on start: Hello, it seems last post was blocked but user clearly said problem in not fixed and i have same form time to time. onece a month maybeI was able to see something that may be small tip to devs. While start menu couldnt be working i was able to observe on task manager that in...
  4. windows 10 slow start menu on start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Using Start Menu as a desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using Start Menu as a desktop?: Hi all Does anyone know if it's possible, within Windows 10 or using a third party program, to make the Start menu full-screen and to have it permanently replace the desktop as the thing that shows when you minimise all windows/hit the Start button/hit the Desktop button?...
  6. start menu on windows 10 wont start

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu on windows 10 wont start: start menu is not functioning https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-on-windows-10-wont-start/608b0ad1-f64f-408a-8b04-492465794afa
  7. Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen: This thread is meant to showcase the new Windows 10 Start menu with tiles or the more familiar Windows 8 Start Screen. You can use either the Start Menu or Start Screen by following Brink's Tutorial [img] Start Menu [img] Start Screen 1994
  8. View Poll Results: Do you use the Start menu or Start screen

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Do you use the Start menu or Start screen: I use the Start screen, I started with the Start menu but just feel more comfortable with the Start screen. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html 2115
  9. Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu: After nearly two years of controversy, Microsoft has finally decided to bring back the Start menu in Windows 10, trying to address complaints received after the removal of this traditional feature from the Windows 8 modern operating system. Surprisingly, however, after...
  10. Start Menu Will Replace Start Screen in Threshold

in Windows 10 News
    Start Menu Will Replace Start Screen in Threshold: Not an option, but rather a new thing Paul Thurrott To date, our understanding of the new Start menu that's coming in "Threshold," the next major Windows release that may or may not be called Windows 9 when it ships next year, is that it would augment the existing Start...