Windows 10: Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive

Discus and support Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have 2 hard drives and both are 500gb. First hard drive have installed Windows on it and all the programs. If i was to install Vmware on my second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by newin10, Dec 3, 2016.

1. newin10 Win User

Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive

I have 2 hard drives and both are 500gb.

First hard drive have installed Windows on it and all the programs. If i was to install Vmware on my second hard disk and then install windows on it, would i get better performance?

My host OS would be running on first hard drive, and vmware would be running on 2nd hard drive. Because when i had only one hard drive my disk would be at 100% most of the time. Or is it not possible to do it? Right now my disk is at 48% with 2 tabs opened in Chrome.

:)

newin10, Dec 3, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

"Clean Install" Windows 10

Hi,

It will be fine on a second hard drive... provided it is actually a 2nd hard drive, and not just a 2nd partition on the OS hard drive...

slance310, Dec 3, 2016
  3. 2nd Hard Drive

Device manager tells me that my 2nd HD is working properly but win10 cannot see it ( file explorer)?

Any help appreciated.

David Davey, Dec 3, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

You would get a marginal performance improvement but vms have quite a high cpu overhead so do not expect a huge performance increase.

cereberus, Dec 3, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

VM's actually do NOT have a huge CPU overhead - unless of course there is a lot of intensive CPU type work being done on the VM - normal workloads don't incur a huge overhead.

The BIGGEST factors on VM performance are of course availability of RAM and HDD / SSD speed.

Assuming you have sufficient RAM in your computer the best way to gain best performance for your VM is to run it off an SSD. If you have to use Spinners - then get one with the fastest RPM (7200 at least) and THE LARGEST CACHE SIZE POSSIBLE -- I suspect that as there are a load of cheap high capacity 5400 RPM HDD's on the market but with tiny cache amounts -- these really KILL performance - even if you have an I7 processor.

A decent graphics card helps as well -- also the Host shouldn't be under too much load if you want concurrent decent performance from the VM.

Again often it's the efficiency of the HDD that is the biggest blockage into vm performance -- followed by RAM -- these days not having enough RAM is rarely an issue --even cheap laptops have 8 GB -- more than enough to run a Windows host and any sort of VM - other Windows or a Linux VM etc.

If you keep VM and HOST OS'es on the same HDD you will get quite a considerable performance degradation --especially at VM power on (boot) -- you'll probably see the HDD light on continuously for several minutes as the VM powers on. On an SSD you can usually get away with it though.

Added

--BTW even on an external SSD a VM should perform quite nicely -- best if you use a SATA-->USB3 connector but even with a USB2 connector it will work fine.

A good use for any older 110 / 120 GB SSD's you might have over from earlier models --good use for these BTW.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 4, 2016
  6. I tried using vmware's virtual disk on my 2nd drive. It works with no problems at all.

RoasterMen, Dec 7, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I don't think the OP was worried whether "It worked" but whether performance would be better -- the answer is probably YES 99.999% of the time.

The better the quality / speed of HDD's (even better SSD's) then the better performance you'll get.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 7, 2016
  8. Usethis2 Win User

Jimbo is right. Separate hard disks for different VMs help performance, and SSDs are a whole lot better than mechanical drives. When you set up a new VHD, make sure to pre-allocate as much space as you can for the VM instead of letting it grow/shrink.

Usethis2, Jan 23, 2017
  9. GregoryP Win User
    Yes, you will get better performance. Second important factor - RAM.

GregoryP, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive - Similar Threads - Vmware 2nd hard

2. PC won't boot when using 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC won't boot when using 2nd hard drive: So I'm trying to connect this hard drive to because it's dying and I want to get some stuff off it. I connected it to my working PC and it never gets to the login screen it just sits at the spinning circle forever. I made sure that my computer wasn't trying to boot off the...
  3. PC won't boot when using 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't boot when using 2nd hard drive: So I'm trying to connect this hard drive to because it's dying and I want to get some stuff off it. I connected it to my working PC and it never gets to the login screen it just sits at the spinning circle forever. I made sure that my computer wasn't trying to boot off the...
  4. 2nd hard drive constantly restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2nd hard drive constantly restarting: Every few seconds one of my other hard drives non-C sounds like it is trying to start but fails and tries again. Access/opening/saving to these drives seems fine. They are used for extra image storage and one is a scratch drive for Photoshop. This had been a problem at 2...
  5. 2nd hard drive not showing win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd hard drive not showing win 10: I'm trying to take a sata hard drive (with existing data) from an older win 10 machine and add it as a second drive on newer win 10 machine (also sata). First time I've done it. I've watched YT videos on how to configure the 2nd drive but it's based on the 2nd drive showing...
  6. How do I use a 2nd hard drive as an "extension" to the first?

How do I use a 2nd hard drive as an "extension" to the first?: As in, how can I install apps there automatically? My first hard drive has finally run low on space, but my second one shows up as (D:), and apps won't install there. submitted by /u/GoToBed-ItsPast9pm [link] [comments]...
  7. Help! 2nd hard drive problem

Help! 2nd hard drive problem: When my pc was still windows 7 my 2nd hard drive and its partition titled "my shit" was fully accessible and its where i safely kept my personal photos and videos from the last 15 years. My PC forcably swapped to windows 10 and my unobservent ass didn't even notice "my shit"...
  8. Adding 2nd hard drive to Optiplex 755

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding 2nd hard drive to Optiplex 755: I installed a 2nd hard drive, was expecting a separate drive, but it just added it's volume to the first drive. Would like to use it as a 2nd drive for back-up purposes. Windows 10,...
  9. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive: I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the computer I get a screen I have never seen before on this computer. It is the American Maegtrends bios screen I believe. I've seen...
  10. Cant get 2nd hard drive working

Cant get 2nd hard drive working: Hello again, So not super long ago, I got my self a 1 TB hard drive to replace my 300 GB. Now that 1 TB is SATA, and my 300 GB is IDE. Now I got my 1 TB working as my main drive with windows, But I cant get my 300 GB IDE drive working now as a 2nd drive. (I use to use that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to install vmware on secondary hd

2. vmware how to install vm on second hard drive