Windows 10: Uselessly sized Aero Peek and Taskbar icons, anyone working on resize?

Discus and support Uselessly sized Aero Peek and Taskbar icons, anyone working on resize? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Screenshot should say it all. 3x27" monitor span, used to nice useful Aero Peek windows in Win 7 and 8.1, I can't see how this little thumbnail at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015.

1. mrpeters Win User

Uselessly sized Aero Peek and Taskbar icons, anyone working on resize?

Screenshot should say it all. 3x27" monitor span, used to nice useful Aero Peek windows in Win 7 and 8.1, I can't see how this little thumbnail at 59x59px is of use to anyone.

The icons on the taskbar also now seem to be the middle cousin between Windows XP "Quick Launch" and Windows 7/8/8.1 taskbar icons.

Other than DPI scaling (which makes the rest of my screen that is perfectly sized look like garbage) has anyone delved into how to increase the size of these icons?

I don't have an exact number, but the icons in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 were at least 64x64. I have them measured in Windows 10; We have 48x48px "bounding boxes" with icons themselves at around 24x24px. I have good eyes, so maybe I'll get used to it, but I'd be willing to put some clever minds together and see if there is a way to increase these without blurry DPI scaling.

Maybe this was already addressed in testing, but I wasn't able to find any information on resizing these babies, and I sure would like to do so!

Uselessly sized Aero Peek and Taskbar icons, anyone working on resize? [​IMG]

:)

mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015

2. Taskbar Aero-Peek doesn't work with more than one window

Hi Alex,

Double check if Aero Peek is enabled:

• Click Start Menu
    • In the search box, type in performance
    • Select Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
    • Under the Visual Effects Tab, make sure the following are checked:
    • Enable Aero Peek
    • Enable desktop composition
    • Use visual styles on windows and buttons
    5. Click OK.

If that didn't work, run the Aero Troubleshooter.

• Click Start Menu
    • Type in troubleshooting
    • Press Enter
    • Select Display Aero desktop effects
    • Click Next.
    Let the troubleshooter finish the process and it will restart the Aero Peek feature.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Joanna 777, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Need help with task bar issues

Go to Control Panel > Advanced (or Advanced System Settings) > in the section Performance click on "Settings..." button > in the custom list of Visual Effects uncheck "Enable Aero Peek" > click "Apply" button

You can also find this by searching for the word "appearance" with Cortana/Taskbar search.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 30, 2015
  4. DJ Steve Win User

I take it in the task bar you have the buttons set to the normal size and not set to small? If yes then I have no real answer to your problem.

DJ Steve, Jul 30, 2015
  5. mrpeters Win User
    DJ Steve -- Correct. "Use small taskbar buttons" is NOT checked. You should see how hilariously small they get when I do check it! *Smile

mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015
  6. mznGTR Win User
    My solution to most things right now is StartIsBack

mznGTR, Jul 30, 2015
  7. mrpeters Win User
    Link? Free or Paid?

mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015
  8. mznGTR Win User

I use the free version

mznGTR, Jul 30, 2015
  9. mrpeters Win User
    That did the trick for the icon size, but I don't want the old start menu. I like the Windows 10 which is a perfect blend for me. So, we know it can be done. Maybe I'll reach out to the developer.

mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015
  10. mrpeters Win User
    Tried setting every one of the Shell Icon Size (About Icons (Windows)) everywhere possible in the registry, but no love.

Would love to know how he is doing it with StartIsBack. I really don't want a new shell, just custom icon sizes!

mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015
  11. mznGTR Win User
    If you go to the properties menu of StartIsBack, go to switching and set "When I press Windows key" to "Show Start Screen" instead of "Show Start menu". That way you can have large taskbar icons and the standard win10 start menu

mznGTR, Jul 30, 2015
  12. mrpeters Win User
    Yeah -- really don't want to use a third party application to accomplish this. Clearly, there is a way to adjust the icon size. I'm willing to pay him for that information, but no response yet.

I would have expected AppliedDPI or Shell Icon Size to do the trick, but no such luck!

mrpeters, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Uselessly sized Aero Peek and Taskbar icons, anyone working on resize?

What is your screen resolution?

You can try changing DPI scaling
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display

or Settings > System > Display

This is a global setting methinks - everything gets larger.

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2015
  14. mrpeters Win User
    5670x1080

125 dpi ruins everything, except icons. Those look normal at that point, but my fonts are oversized and blurry as hell. I think this issue has been well documented when using higher DPI. Clearly, I don't need a higher dpi since StartIsBack does what I want, I just don't like relying on third party apps that give me more features than I care to have.

mrpeters, Jul 31, 2015
  15. Ok, thanks, I thought that might not be the solution you wanted. MS will have to address this at some point, screen resolutions keep getting higher and higher

Consider Startisback as a temporary workaround.

Slartybart, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Uselessly sized Aero Peek and Taskbar icons, anyone working on resize? - Similar Threads - Uselessly sized Aero

2. Resize Taskbar & Time size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resize Taskbar & Time size: Is there any way to resize the taskbar in Windows 11? Too big for me.What about changing the time size? It's pretty small and I'd like it to be a bit bigger. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-taskbar-time-size/492c87d3-9148-4430-9142-741c849c5201
  3. Resize Taskbar & Time size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resize Taskbar & Time size: Is there any way to resize the taskbar in Windows 11? Too big for me.What about changing the time size? It's pretty small and I'd like it to be a bit bigger. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-taskbar-time-size/492c87d3-9148-4430-9142-741c849c5201
  4. Aero Peek "Sticking"

in Windows 10 Support
    Aero Peek "Sticking": Hi Peeps, got a bit of a strange one. When I hover over task bar items my aero peek pops out just as it should. Problem is that it does not always go back. It will just sit there and I have to click on it (or pop out another peek and click that) to get it to go away. I have...
  5. Win10 aero peek graphic issue (2nd)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 aero peek graphic issue (2nd): Tested with Win 10 1903. Same issues as my old post which was closed for unknown reasons. 1709 was the last version without this bug. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-aero-peek-graphic-issue-2nd/c86c4b5a-e4f5-4250-8cfb-aaa82fdfc9f2
  6. I can't turn off Aero Peek.

I can't turn off Aero Peek.: Since our Windows Update, Peak had enabled itself and I can't turn it off by either of the methods. I had read that there is an Aero Peek troubleshooter, but it's unclear to me where it is....
  7. Windows "aero-peek" reqularly only presents blank program icon

Windows "aero-peek" reqularly only presents blank program icon: Windows "aero-peek" reqularly only presents blank program icon (see image attached). This happens with several different programs but most often with spotify. [ATTACH]...
  8. Win10 Aero Peek graphic issue

Win10 Aero Peek graphic issue: Since I updated to the latest Windows 10 version (1803) I have issues with aero peek. It has some sort of graphic errors. See the screenshots that illustrates the issue. Games and other applications are working fine without any graphical issues. Drivers are up to date....
  9. How to completely turn off Aero Peek

How to completely turn off Aero Peek: I have done everything I can to turn off Aero Peek. I'm referring to the thumbnail previews you see when you mouse over an open item on your bottom taskbar. For example, if I have Word open but am looking at my desktop, if I mouse over the "Microsoft Word" icon in the taskbar...
  10. Aero peek not working and multiple thumbnails not showing up

in Windows 10 Support
    Aero peek not working and multiple thumbnails not showing up: I think this happened after I've set visual effects to "adjust for best performance" and set it back to custom and enabled all settings later on. Here are screenshots of settings i currently have set: [img] [img] Desktop peek is working fine, but when I hover over...