Windows 10: User Account changed from Admin to Guest

Discus and support User Account changed from Admin to Guest in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Dear people of the Tenforums, I could use your advice. On Saturday I decided to give new Windows 10 (it picked Home Edition by itself) a try.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gorkee23, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Gorkee23 Win User

User Account changed from Admin to Guest

Dear people of the Tenforums,

I could use your advice.

On Saturday I decided to give new Windows 10 (it picked Home Edition by itself) a try. Previous version was Windows 7.

After a flawless install I have seen that something on my C: partition is using a lot of disk space. It was Windows.old file which I have successfully deleted by using Disk Cleanup. But last night I see Windows.old has reappeared back, which is quite a surprise, so I wanted to delete it again.

But now UAC blocks my every effort because User Account "doesn't have Administrator permission". The Yes button in the UAC is greyed out, I can only click No which leaves me where I was. The Account is reduced to what appears to be Guest. Naturally, I ended up more or less completely cut off from making any serious alteration to anything. I can't delete folders of importance, change account status (back to Admin), nothing ... I can only use the computer ...

Another issue is that my otherwise empty D: partition has 3 files (one of them is named "WindowsImageBackup"), they together take more than 100G of hard disk space. As a Guest it's impossible to open or access them to see what's in them, let alone delete them. Does anyone know what they are?

I know that Win 10 is supposed to delete Windows.old by itself after 30 days (I hope "WindowsImageBackup" too), but is there any way for me to solve the issue of account status - to return to Admin - and do it by myself alone as soon as possible?

It all seems like some bug or something, it's quite frustrating and I tried to do a Repair Install, but as a Guest you're pretty much stuck.

:)

Gorkee23, Jan 12, 2016

2. Issue after adding a second login account

I may be confused by your response, but here is what I was trying to explain in my original post.

I had only those two accounts; the original admin one and the one labeled Guest User. When I had the Guest User added and I restarted the machine, only the Guest User was available. If it was functioning correctly, it should have offered to log in to either
    my account, the admin account, the one with my name and the one labelled Guest Account. My account, the admin account, labelled with my name, was not available to choose to log in to. That was the issue. I did not change MY account to Guest User. I added a
    second account labeled Guest User.

When I removed Guest Account to try and force windows to offer me the only other account available, my account, the admin account, the one labelled with my name, it simply showed nothing, no account choices, to log in to.

I never removed my account, the admin account, the one labelled with my name. Just the one labelled Guest Account.

Warhammer486, Jan 12, 2016
  3. ajay kp Win User
    Win10 not allowing to change account type from guest to admin or admin elevated

Hi

my current user acc info shows as "

dell

local account

Guest account

password protected

"

And there is no other user account other than this in pc

I am using/testing upgrade to windows 10 pro

On start up by default it becomes as a guest account

Now I want to change my account type you get UAC notify as pls give admin password

and click yes but with out giving the text field to type for admin username and with out pass word text field. Also the YES will be greyed or inactive.

I am left with only option of click NO to proceed and quit!!!??? why?

I request any one to guide me please to solve this

Tks in advance
    Win10 not allowing to change account type from guest to admin or admin elevated

ajay kp, Jan 12, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

I suggest you try to enable the built in administrator account, log out and then back into the new admin account and then see if you can change your user account back to being an administrator account.

Here are the tutorials you will need to do this:

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/enable-or-disable-elevated-administrator-account-in-windows-10.7493/?filter[1]=User Accounts

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/change-account-type-in-windows-10.9055/?filter[1]=User Accounts

Notice that there are several options for doing each change - you may need to try more than one before you find the one that works for you.

Hope this helps!

Phil

philc43, Jan 14, 2016
  5. Gorkee23 Win User
    Dear user philc43,

Thank you for the reply.

I have managed to solve the problem:

1. Enter the Safe Mode (it turns on in-built Administrator account automatically)

2. Open Command Prompt and type: net localgroup administrators UserName /add

3. Substitute UserName with the actual user name and press Enter.

(Close Command Prompt, Log-Off as the Administrator to exit Safe Mode. Sign In with your personal account to return to Normal Mode again.)

That's pretty much it, further details can be found here: Option IV (Section 6).

First it took me forever to figure out how to enter Safe Mode, because Windows 10 have that altered completely.
    Then I spent an hour and a half to exit the damn Safe Mode: one can reboot as much as he wants, system is stuck in there. Luckily I logged off as Administrator and system shuts the Safe Mode down to switch back into Normal Mode.

Gorkee23, Jan 17, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Hello Gorkee23,

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for describing the process that worked for you because it will be a great help to others in the same situation.

I had not come across the problem that safe mode persists on reboot so that was interesting.

*Smile

philc43, Jan 17, 2016
  7. Gorkee23 Win User
    No problem. *Smile

After I returned to Normal mode I had two accounts: one was mine, the other was Administrator.

You have to remove or shut down the Administrator account afterwards.

To see how this is done, I searched the Internet, that information is not too hard to find.

Gorkee23, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User Account changed from Admin to Guest - Similar Threads - User Account changed

2. W10 admin/MS account user is "guest" and "wdagutilityaccount", no password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 admin/MS account user is "guest" and "wdagutilityaccount", no password: Hi, I don't understand my W10 account. I have a MS account, and the W10 settings shows me this MS account. But in fact my account name, folder, etc. has only the first 5 letters "klicl" of my MS account. And the "net user" command shows a "guest" and "WDAGUtility" account. In...
  3. W10 admin/MS account user is "guest" and "wdagutilityaccount", no password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 admin/MS account user is "guest" and "wdagutilityaccount", no password: Hi, I don't understand my W10 account. I have a MS account, and the W10 settings shows me this MS account. But in fact my account name, folder, etc. has only the first 5 letters "klicl" of my MS account. And the "net user" command shows a "guest" and "WDAGUtility" account. In...
  4. W10 admin/MS account user is "guest" and "wdagutilityaccount", no password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Issues with local account changed from local admin to guest

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with local account changed from local admin to guest: I wonder if you will be able to advise on the following issue:. I have recently changed the local user profile from admin to guest. The user can no longer see things saved to the desktop and to his local machine , favorite tabs in chrome are missing and he can no longer...
  6. how to keep users on guest accounts from changing guest password on Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to keep users on guest accounts from changing guest password on Windows 10 Home: I do a little bit of IT work for 3 hotels in the town I live in. I'm actually the group sales manager for these hotels but because I know a little bit of computer stuff it's fallen to me to do the IT work.When I set up the guest computers for these hotels I originally had it...
  7. Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.: I typed the command netplwiz, and changed my only user from admin to device owner. I figured this would give me more access to the computer, but instead, I'm now considered a guest user. I cannot perform anything that requires admin rights. Is there any way to fix this...
  8. Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.: I typed the command netplwiz, and changed my only user from admin to device owner. I figured this would give me more access to the computer, but instead, I'm now considered a guest user. I cannot perform anything that requires admin rights. Is there any way to fix this...
  9. My admin account changed to guest! WTH!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    My admin account changed to guest! WTH!!: Hi guys, need some help I haven't been able to find anything useful in the forums thus far. I was making some changed in my admin account (I'm the only user) so I didn't have to enter a password after every login and after some changes found my account to have been converted...
  10. Admin account turned into guest account after Microsoft name change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Admin account turned into guest account after Microsoft name change: Hello everybody, I hope somebody can help me with this as I've been searching through all forums for the past 4 hours and i'm about to loose my head. A couple weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account name (It seemed that some games needed that as my name has special...