Windows 10: User Account Name Change

Discus and support User Account Name Change in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Final result of this whole process: JUST CREATE A NEW USERNAME AND START ALL OVER. Weird/odd things keep popping up. The sound issue, random program... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ericnixmd, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ericnixmd Win User

User Account Name Change

Final result of this whole process: JUST CREATE A NEW USERNAME AND START ALL OVER.

Weird/odd things keep popping up. The sound issue, random program errors, and random instability with Windows (I clicked the wifi button in notifications to turn it off the other day to move over to the built-in cellular and Windows became unresponsive forcing a hard reboot).

In preparation for the release of the spring creator's update on Monday, I plan to wipe my hard disk and completely reinstall everything from the Dell recovery disk and then work my way up to the spring creator's update before installing my necessary programs (Citrix Receiver, Nuance Dragon Medical Practice Edition, Office 365, QuickBooks, etc.).

My thought is that there are so many things that were changed that left remnants here and there, that it would be best to just start all over.

(sigh) There goes about 8-10 hours of my time getting everything set up again!

ericnixmd, Apr 5, 2018
  2. ericnixmd Win User

I've managed to change almost every bit of my old username (ericnix) to the new one () on my Windows 10 system.

However, the file directory still has "ericnix" as the directory name.

What would happen if I simply renamed it to "" -- would any program accessing it be automatically updated, or will this open Pandora's box of problems?

:)

ericnixmd, Apr 16, 2018
  3. Change User Account Name, not just Display Name

So when we are young, we create these amazingly descriptive and elaborate names for ourselves that quite frankly become quite cringe-worthy as we get older. But as we go along we gather new products and contacts attached to this name which is all good and
    well, not to mention convenient since they are now all grouped under 1 Microsoft account.

But now you find yourself at 30 years old, stuck with the same username as that you created when you were 14, and it is no longer cool beans. Now you are gainfully employed, hopefully, since you managed to put your foot in the door before needing to, God-forbid,
    give out your Skype contact details which includes that sweet username you created in prepubescent angst to show your school friends just how good you really were at being a 420blazing 360noscoping SniperGhost. This however will get even the average citizen
    with a PHD turned down for the most menial desk job.

Please Microsoft, is there no way to change our actual Account Names, not just our Display Names? Since when you search for one the other will emerge, and some of us would like to retain our accounts for longer than 1 change of heart throughout
    our lifetime.

For the record I am not entirely sure I am posting this in the correct place, since strangely "Accounts" is not a category below. Nevertheless, there it is.

JMParkitect, Apr 16, 2018
  4. User Account Name Change

Change User Account Name, not just Display Name

Unfortunately all my Microsoft licenses are attached to my current Account, Windows 10 etc. All my Skype contacts that I have built up over 10 or so years are also attached to my existing Skype account which is linked to my Microsoft Account. Sometimes
    merging everything under one account can be frustrating when it comes to things like usernames that become set in stone and unchangeable. Had I known I would never get the opportunity to change it again I might have chosen to start a new account at a more
    substantial point, such as changing operating systems, but having had Windows 7 upgraded into Windows 10 kind of had me locked into that account from the start.

JMParkitect, Apr 16, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    There are definite consequences involved. That's why Shawn @Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10. So indeed, you CAN do this. But as you will see and learn as you work through the steps involved there, there's a little more to it than simply renaming the folder itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 16, 2018
  6. ericnixmd Win User
    Thanks for the link. I didn't see the article. *Smile

ericnixmd, Apr 16, 2018
  7. mrgeek Win User
    I've managed to change almost every bit of my old username (ericnix) to the new one (ericnixmd) on my Windows 10 system.

How ? Did you do it the correct way and add a new Local Account named 'ericnixmd' or some other way ? The A would determine best path forward.

However, the file directory still has "ericnix" as the directory name.

Do you see two separate Users in the C:\Users list ?

What would happen if I simply renamed it to "ericnixmd" --

ABSOLUTELY DON'T, NO, DON'T DO IT ! Either follow the tutorial that 'Ed' pointed you to or, if you have two distinct Users in the C:\Users- make SURE the desired name User is an Admin, copy/move the This PC folders contents (eg; Music to Music,etc) from the undesired User to the corresponding folders of the desired one. Sign in with the desired name, go to Accounts and delete the undesired User Account.

Post your progress or success to help others.

mrgeek, Apr 16, 2018
  8. ericnixmd Win User

User Account Name Change

I used the Windows change username feature. However, I've also had to use other tips on here.

I followed the advice above and was successful in changing the username folder. However, it wasn't without issues. I had to create a new profile for Outlook because the email data files were pointing to the old file name, I had to reinstall Dropbox (although I later found a setting where I could change the file path), my desktop background had to be replaced (guess it was pointing to old user directory), etc. I went through and manually changed a bunch of references to "ericnix" in the registry to "" which solved a lot of problems.

This wasn't as easy as I had thought, but hopefully nothing surfaces going forward. I launched all my usual programs (Word, QuickBooks, Amazon Music, iTunes, GoToMeeting, etc.) and all worked as intended except for Outlook and Dropbox. Even Dragon Medical Practice Edition worked.

Here's hoping things are fixed. Perhaps I should've just left well enough alone.

ericnixmd, Apr 16, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    It never is, sir, it never is. But glad you're making progress on the switchover. The real gotcha is that your default user directory spec gets written to the Registry all over the place, and it's hard to run down and fix all of those references. That's why the tutorial is so helpful, IMO.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 16, 2018
  10. ericnixmd Win User
    Tutorial was definitely helpful. Now I'm having issues with my Dell speaker bar not being recognized initially. I click the sound icon and it repairs it, but it loses it on the next reboot. I'm using it right now for a Skype teleconference. My plan is to uninstall the driver and reinstall it to see if that helps. Other than that, things seem to be working smoothly.

I'm doing this because my eventual goal is to create a personal account on my work laptop to separate things. Hence the is for business and ericnix is for personal.

ericnixmd, Apr 16, 2018
  11. ericnixmd Win User
    I can't figure this one out...

I have a Dell AE515 soundbar that has a microphone. It's connected through a WD15 dock and a Dell P2717H monitor.

Before changing my username, anytime I connected my laptop to the dock, it would port sound through the soundbar. Now, I always get an error when rebooting that says the Windows Audio Service isn't running.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers hasn't helped. :|

ericnixmd, Apr 16, 2018
  12. ericnixmd Win User
    So it looks like the audio service isn't loading. When I use the troubleshooter, it fixes it, but it doesn't last after a reboot. It's effecting all of my sound devices.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. Things seem fine until a reboot. I've looked in services.msc and everything is set to automatic loading for Windows Audio and other files.

Any tips?

ericnixmd, Apr 17, 2018
  13. ericnixmd Win User

User Account Name Change

Word to the wise. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

I think I'm going to have to reinstall Windows. ugh

OK, I think I finally got it working. At some point the Windows Audio service logon got changed to local system account instead of the NT local service. Who would've thought that would've made the difference.

I booted a few times and the driver loaded. (At one point it got to where the driver would load, but no sound was being produced. Any attempt to repair the audio system would give an error that the audio service wasn't responding.)

Here's hoping nothing regresses...

ericnixmd, Apr 17, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Apr 17, 2018
  15. ericnixmd Win User
    I was looking at that last night. I was slightly confused (albeit very much sleep deprived): will I have to reinstall apps (Dragon, Office, etc.) and redo customizations (color themes, Windows settings, etc.)?

I'm wondering if the Spring Creator's Update will fix this.

ericnixmd, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

User Account Name Change

1. User Account Name Change - Similar Threads - User Account Name

2. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  4. Changing names of user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing names of user accounts: Is it OK to change the name of a user in the ‘users’ section of File Explorer inside This PC/Windows? I have one listed as ‘new user’ and would rather give it a more meaningful name....
  5. Change name of user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change name of user account: I have an admin user account named "Admin". After I created it, I linked it with my Microsoft account which bears the name of "Shmuel". However, the system still calls the account "Admin". For instance, the path is C:\Users\Admin I want to change the name to "Shmuel", because...
  6. Windows Users Account Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Users Account Name Change: I recently added my microsoft to my pc and it has changed the Users folder to the beginning 5 letters of my email. It is really making me mad I have looked all over on how to fix and its just so ugly with 5 letters from the start of a dumb email address. How can I change it...
  7. User Account Name Change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Name Change: I just got this computer last week, and the last letter of my name is missing. I dont have an option to change it in the Control Panel, nor can I rename the folder through my drive. Is there another option?...
  8. Microsoft Account --> Change "Users" Name.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Account --> Change "Users" Name.: Ok, so I created a Microsoft Account and Windows seemed to assign the first 4 letters of my "sign-in e-mail" as my C: > Users name. What's the best way to change my "Users" name in C drive? Also, how do I delete profile images under "Settings" ? I see how I can switch...
  9. How to change Account Name and User Name?

How to change Account Name and User Name?: I am the sole user of my pc. Under Settings/Accounts my name is:- John Smith my email address Administrator Q1 How do I change this to just:- Pete Administator? Under This PC I have drives C, F and G In C the user is called John In F user called Pete In G...
  10. Change user account name?

Change user account name?: Having created a Msoft admin account in form, say, def7936@...., I then created a local account with admin powers, which I called Forename. However I see that all my local account documents are in C:\users\def79, an abbreviation of the Msoft version, not Forename, as desired....