Windows 10: User account now has wrong microsoft email tied to it

Discus and support User account now has wrong microsoft email tied to it in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I had my local user set up on my windows10 pc. Only a local user, no microsoft email login Last week my son used the PC to go on and check his... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by vexorg, Feb 16, 2018.

1. vexorg Win User

User account now has wrong microsoft email tied to it

I had my local user set up on my windows10 pc. Only a local user, no microsoft email login

Last week my son used the PC to go on and check his email. He used the inbuilt mail program, now it thinks my local user has his email. And it also counts my time on the computer towards his screen time.

I cannot find anywhere to change this, or ideally remove the email from my local account. The other accounts appear to have created users in the user of computer management. But under setting-> Accounts then it still have the microoft account tied to my local user.

The settings->Accounts give me to option to manage his account, but not remove. If I add my own live.com account then this can be removed.

So how do I get his Microsoft account off my PC and free my local user again.

:)

vexorg, Feb 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 Mail app - upgrade created a default email account that is incorrect and I can't delete/fix it.

I have been having the same problem, and now my email has stopped working also.

The application is showing my primary outlook email as an exchange based gmail account, which is clearly wrong.

The mail app is now asking me to "fix" the problem, suggesting that I delete and re-add the account which I cannot do as it is the email address tied to my Microsoft Account.

I would also greatly appreciate a fix.

AshtonOwen, Feb 16, 2018
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Accounts on Windows 10 have major problems

fwiw

When you make the install with your email login... it shortens that email address down for the user name,,, user\rjohn I am guessing that is the beginning of your email address ? that's the official Microsoft account - tied to your email address.

You might look in Control Panel / user accounts .... and click on manage another account... there you will see everybody that has an actual login account.

'Mike P, Feb 16, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 16, 2018
  5. vexorg Win User
    Didn't work. I had already deleted the email account as I didn't want the thousands of junk emails on my drive.

The problem seems to be the Microsoft account below that email option in step 3. I cant disassociated that from my local account. If I go into manage that account then it takes me to his Microsoft web account manager.

vexorg, Feb 16, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 16, 2018
  7. vexorg Win User
    There seems to be a difference in opinion.

If I check with control panel->User accounts, I see my name with "Local Account, Administrator". There are no other accounts if I try to "manage another accounts".

If I check with settings->Accounts->Your info, Then I have my name and his email under it.

Under settings->accounts->Email and apps accounts, then his microsoft account is listed, and only manage option, no delete/remove.

If I go to computer management->Local users and groups->Users, then I see my user as a local user, plus all the family users with a little arrow point down on top of them. If I delete the extra users then they just reappear after a restart.

vexorg, Feb 16, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

In Settings->Accounts->Your info, do you see a "Sign in with a local account instead" or "Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically link" link?

Brink, Feb 16, 2018
  9. vexorg Win User
    No, that's option is not there. See images of settings and control panel.

I cant remove that Microsoft account in the apps part. And if I go into Microsoft family, it still shows him active on my pc when I'm on it.

I've searched the registry for his email address, I cant find where windows stores that link to his account.

vexorg, Feb 16, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hmm, I'm not sure how to remove an account from "Accounts used by other apps".

You might see if having him remove your PC from his Microsoft account like in Option Three below may remove it.

*Arrow Sign in to your Microsoft account

Brink, Feb 16, 2018
  11. vexorg Win User
    I've tried that. The PC is just added back in as soon as I log on again.

vexorg, Feb 16, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I admit that I'm stumped as well. *Confused

Brink, Feb 16, 2018
  13. vexorg Win User

Well, gave up. And reading about on other sites, that admin email address seems impossible to change. Not helped by my PC seeming to be stuck between Microsoft account and local account.

Created a new admin user. Copied all my files and set it all up again. Deleted the old user.

Good as new, well, once I get everything back in place again.

vexorg, Feb 16, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    That is not applicable here, yours was a normal administrator account.

It's referring to the built-in Administrator account getting linked to an MS account, something that's possible in a few exceptional circumstances and impossible to undo.

15. vexorg Win User
    It was a normal admin account, but something went wrong with it when my son logged in. Maybe because windows 10 was an upgrade from admin account on windows 7, it was never tied to a Microsoft account. Or maybe because he has monitoring by Microsoft family. Either way it screwed up my local admin account.

vexorg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User account now has wrong microsoft email tied to it - Similar Threads - User account has

2. Logging in to Microsoft account with the wrong email?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logging in to Microsoft account with the wrong email?: I received an email today that there has been suspicious login activity on my Microsoft account, associated with my Gmail address. My Microsoft account is rarely used and is under a Hotmail address. Now here is where it gets weird.If I start the login process with my Gmail...
  3. Logging in to Microsoft account with the wrong email?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Logging in to Microsoft account with the wrong email?: I received an email today that there has been suspicious login activity on my Microsoft account, associated with my Gmail address. My Microsoft account is rarely used and is under a Hotmail address. Now here is where it gets weird.If I start the login process with my Gmail...
  4. Logging in to Microsoft account with the wrong email?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wrong Microsoft account email address

Wrong Microsoft account email address: I was trying to help set up my girlfriends Lenovo lab top and I used an incorrect email address for the administrator Microsoft account.I tried setting up an e mail account with that user name and it has been taken.It has not been verified.Can I change the administrator...
  6. Wrong Microsoft account email address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong Microsoft account email address: I was trying to help set up my girlfriends Lenovo lab top and I used an incorrect email address for the administrator Microsoft account.I tried setting up an e mail account with that user name and it has been taken.It has not been verified.Can I change the administrator...
  7. User account linked to wrong microsoft account

User account linked to wrong microsoft account: Sometime after making both my wife's computer and my computer discoverable and allowing them to share files, my wife's only user account on her computer was somehow linked to my microsoft account. It shows her user but my account in the settings app. How can I change this so...
  8. Windows key is tied to a University email account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows key is tied to a University email account: Hi all, TL;DR: My old Windows key is tied to a University email account that I no longer have access to and I am unable to reactivate my Windows 10 now after a clean install. Is there any way of proving my purchase or somehow retrieving the old key? This all started when I...
  9. user account tied with school account screw up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    user account tied with school account screw up: Ok I didn't realize this at the time but I started school last year at a local community college and I'm an IT major. I've been out of computers for a long time and starting this I purchased a laptop got a copy of windows 10 education from the school and installed it on my...
  10. User Account Folder has Wrong Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account Folder has Wrong Name: Just got a new Tablet PC. As it took me through the initial setup process, it truncated my User Name to the first letter. For example, for my username I entered 'Fred' but when I hit Enter the name was shown as 'f' and no way to get back to that screen to change it. After...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. user account now has wrong microsoft email tied to it