Windows 10: User Account on Bootup of Computer

Discus and support User Account on Bootup of Computer in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. My wife and I use the same computer at home and each have a user account. On Windows 7, when the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Rio, Feb 1, 2016.

1. RIO
    Rio Win User

User Account on Bootup of Computer

I just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. My wife and I use the same computer at home and each have a user account.

On Windows 7, when the computer started, the first screen we would see is both user accounts and select the appropriate one. Windows 10 (as many of you already know) seems to go directly to the user account that was on at shutdown. Is there any setting I could make to offer the choice of both user accounts each time on boot up?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:)

2. srg11291 Win User

Turn off password on Windows 10

Found in: Windows 10 Remove Password on Bootup

Windows 10 Remove Password on Bootup

If this account is your account, then we may follow the advice suggested by
    _mynonA_, either empty the password or change it to automatically logon.

For the steps to make a user account to automatically logon, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Run Box, type control userpasswords2, click
    OK;

2. Select the wanted user account under the Users tab, clear the
    Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
    check box, click Apply;

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box, type your password, and then click
    OK;

4. In the User Accounts Box, click OK.

srg11291, Feb 1, 2016
  3. after windows update

i can only see the other account(where all data is saved) located under c:\users, i cannot see it on bootup or in the program you directed towards me

LudvikHansen, Feb 1, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi Rio and welcome *Smile

Yes you should see the various accounts that can be used to login to W10 appear at the bottom left of the screen. The fact that your wife's is not yet there makes me wonder if she has not yet been added as a user. When you are logged in go to the User Accounts ( just type user in the search box) and see if she is there. If she is not there it does beg the question as to why her account was not picked up during the upgrade.

To add her you will need to go to the new Settings area and select Accounts. In the screen (shown below) you will be able to add her as a user. If she had lots of personal files that were not backed up you may need to look in the Windows.old folder in your C:\drive to see if you can retrieve them.

User Account on Bootup of Computer [​IMG]

philc43, Feb 2, 2016
  5. RIO
    Rio Win User
    Thanks Philc for the welcome and answering my post. I think, perhaps, that the way I phrased the question might have created some confusion. My user account and my wife's is working fine on Windows 10. We can easily switched back and forth between them.

My question regards what happens when we turn on the computer each morning and it boots up.

Example: Last night I was the last one to use the computer and shut if off. Early this morning my wife started up the computer and it went directly to my user account automatically. She then had to use Windows 10 to shift over to her user account. What I would like (as Windows 7 did) is each time the computer is turned on for the first time of a day to stop and offer the option of which user account we would like to start with.

Thanks again for the help.

6. davidhk Win User
    I might have misunderstood your post also.

Unless you have set the computer to go directly to your desktop without entering password, when you are at sign in screen, you should see you and your wife's accounts listed at bottom left.
    Isn't that so ?

davidhk, Feb 2, 2016
  7. RIO
    Rio Win User
    davidhk, you might have given me the clue I needed. Neither one of these user accounts has a password. Never have in Windows 7 and still don't after upgrade to Windows 10. Even with no password in Windows 7 it always stop at the user accounts on boot up for a selection. So now I'm thinking that when Windows 10 see no password it just defaults to last user without stopping.

After 37 years of marriage it is not a matter of security, but, rather, a convenience so each of us can have custom desktops, programs, shortcuts, browser links, etc.

I'm going to go back to user accounts in Windows 10 to add some passwords and see what happens. I'll let you know what the results is.

Thanks for the help.

8. davidhk Win User

That is what has happened.

You setup no password at startup, so, the system goes straight to the last user account before it was shut down.

davidhk, Feb 2, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    You could set the system to PIN number to sign on.

lx07, Feb 2, 2016
  10. RIO
    Rio Win User
    That was it. Once I created passwords then Windows 10 stopped for a selection. And, in reality, I guess not many people would create a user account without a password. I just assumed that the upgrade from Windows 7 was going to "act" in a similar manner. I'll definitely go with the '123' suggestion. Or maybe leave computer on constantly and just turn off the monitor.

Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions.

11. davidhk Win User
    Good and you are welcome.

Please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User Account on Bootup of Computer - Similar Threads - User Account Bootup

2. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Black Screens on Bootup: My computer black screens when I boot it up and never reaches the log in screen or loads windows. I've tried using commands with the keys on my keyboard, but no keys actually bring up anything on my screen to actually make a change. My cursor doesn't show up on the screen...
  3. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Black Screens on Bootup: My computer black screens when I boot it up and never reaches the log in screen or loads windows. I've tried using commands with the keys on my keyboard, but no keys actually bring up anything on my screen to actually make a change. My cursor doesn't show up on the screen...
  4. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer is stuck at bootup screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer is stuck at bootup screen: I was using Blender and pushed a render a little too far and caused it to crash and then the computer crashed as well. When it started up, it said it needed to be repaired. Did all that, said it was collecting info but stayed frozen and so I restarted. Nothing was happening....
  6. Clone user accounts on the same computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clone user accounts on the same computer: Good day everyone, is there a way to clone an user account to a new one on the same computer? I previously posted I have problems with icons but no one was able to give me an answer on how to fix it...
  7. Multiple Users Accounts in Multiple Computers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Multiple Users Accounts in Multiple Computers: Hi, My name is David Gebert, I am in charge of setting up a new system for my local fire department that I am a member of. We will be installing 2 new desktops, 2 laptops, plus the current 2 laptops we own. We are also planning on adding about 3-6 more computers or...
  8. User Account from Computer Name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account from Computer Name?: New laptop Windows 10 Home setup resulted in C:\Users\Public and C:\Users\<Hydra> folder - Where <Hydra> was the Computer Name assigned during config process. Logon is via "John Doe" Microsoft ID and the only User appearing under Control Panel -> User Accounts is "John Doe",...
  9. No user account computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No user account computer: Is there a way to run Win10 without any user account, a completely open computer? There seems to be no way to complete an install of windows without a phone number or e-mail account. Isn't there a way to run a computer with Win10 that doesn't require any user, a "public"...
  10. NET USER and Initial Bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    NET USER and Initial Bootup: Good Day, I disabled the Admin account but I have a user that just reboots the system and hits F8 and boot to the prompt thus running the Net User command. How do I prevent this? I have the WIN10 Pro machine joined to the Domain but doesn't make a difference. I...