Windows 10: User accounts and users are different

Discus and support User accounts and users are different in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi I have two accounts on my laptop: Bryan as admin and James as my local account which I use for my daily workings. All my work is save to a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Abstemious, Dec 31, 2015.

1. User accounts and users are different

Hi
    I have two accounts on my laptop: Bryan as admin and James as my local account which I use for my daily workings.
    All my work is save to a different partition on the hard drive.

I now notice that if I go to C:\users, I have my admin account but there are two other user accounts James and James.lenovo15.

Originally I found James and James-2 user accounts so I moved the James-2 folders and files to my work partition (just so I didn't lose the info before deleting it). When I signed in again, I could only sign in as a "guest" using the James-2 password.

I have now spent a coupe of days deleting the user account under the User Accounts setting. Then deleting the James account in the only place it appears (C:\Users); and creating a new Local User account in the user accounts (using Bryan admin). However, I find that in C drive I still have two James users - James and James.lenovo15.

I think that when I just deleted the James account in C:\Users it must have left some residual elements somewhere and it recreated itself and the new local account which I names simply James was forced to add to the name .Lenovo15 to prevent conflicts.

Although I doesn't affect the running of the computer, having both users takes up considerable space. James user 4.7 gbs while the new James.lenovo15 has 1.7 gb.

Has anyone any idea how to resolve the matter?

:)

Abstemious, Dec 31, 2015

2. Different user accounts, different not working apps.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience cause to you. I will be glad to help you with this.

I appreciate your time and effort trying to fix the issue. Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1.

For the issue with admin, I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if this helps. Visit the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-10

Method 2.

For the issue with start menu and search bar, go to the below link and try the suggestion provided by M. Hamer

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 31, 2015
  3. Different user accounts, different not working apps.

I have Windows 10 pro 1511

The admin account can not open the calendar, weather, mail, store, xbox...etc apps. The windows start and search are working fine.

The user1 account has a non functioning windows start and search button. The store app, which was pinned to the task bar, works fine.

The problem began after I downloaded an AoE game, under the user1 account. I am waiting for a response from the developers of the AoE game.

I have tried the app troubleshooter (could not find a problem). I also tried resetting the windows store, but I was given a purge error of some sort. These options did not fix the problem.

I have tried the sfc method which found no problems.

I have tried the clean boot following the instructions for windows 8/8.1 and windows vista/7. The problem is after I hit the restart button and computer starts with everything remaining on. Non of the disable commands worked on the service side. The Startup
    stuff remained disabled though. This option did not fix the problem.

I have also tried to use a system restore point, but was unsuccessful. It ran into a problem and requested a new restore point. I had no new restore points.

I am looking to see if anyone can assist me. I'm thinking about resetting my PC, but got spooked by the wording. Apparently it requires a re-loading of windows.

BonnieYazzie, Dec 31, 2015
Thema:

User accounts and users are different

1. User accounts and users are different - Similar Threads - User accounts users

2. Different user accounts with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different user accounts with OneDrive: I am using Windows 10 with Onedrive and I am totally confused about my user / computer accounts.I have an Access database that references files on my primary machine at: C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\My Files..On a secondary machine on a different network the files are...
  3. Different user accounts with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different user accounts with OneDrive: I am using Windows 10 with Onedrive and I am totally confused about my user / computer accounts.I have an Access database that references files on my primary machine at: C:\Users\David\OneDrive\Documents\My Files..On a secondary machine on a different network the files are...
  4. Different user accounts with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Uninstalled apps for different user accounts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Uninstalled apps for different user accounts: I'm trying to figure out how I can keep uninstalled apps uninstalled from different users accounts. So basically if I'm logged in on my admin account and I uninstall a bunch of apps and then I have someone else log in on their account and those same apps that I uninstalled on...
  6. Run as different user: How to give permissions to a secondary user on the primary user account.

Run as different user: How to give permissions to a secondary user on the primary user account.: I am having a problem with the application Canon Digital Photo Professional DPP. It is not responding. I created a secondary admin account and tested the application and it works fine on that account. The only problem is that account cannot access the drives on my computer...
  7. User accounts on different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Customization
    User accounts on different hard drives?: I currently have a hard drive from another computer that I use as an external drive D2 I'd like to know if it's possible to create a user account on my current drive D1 that would run on D2. I guess you could say 1 tower, 1 screen, 2 hard drives for 2 "computers"...
  8. Different user accounts for different purposes - save on resources or no?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different user accounts for different purposes - save on resources or no?: Is it valuable, from an installation/removal/resources perspective, to create different user accounts for different purposes? Same physical user. Perhaps there is The Audio/Video profile, the 2D/3D Design profile, the Image and Publishing profile, and the Gaming profile....
  9. Different Users

Different Users: I have a computer that I own but was used thru Raymond James a Company. I had 3 users Daniel King, Nancy Wiles and Patrick King I had Turbo Tax loaded on for the last 3 years. Under Daniel King, We all left Raymond James, I can get on the computer as Patrick King but I...
  10. Moving desktop from different user account

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving desktop from different user account: I have 2 user accounts with the DESKTOP folder listed. Either one opens the desktop files and sub-folders. I'd like to move the default location of DESKTOP from one user account to another without creating any redundancies, deletions or problems. Can this be done? *Cool*Cool...