Windows 10: User accounts

Discus and support User accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Trying to navigate through the unfamiliar UI has been quite challenging, although I like the new look. I had win 7x64, and upgraded to 10. Not too... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mike01, May 4, 2016.

1. mike01 Win User

User accounts

Trying to navigate through the unfamiliar UI has been quite challenging, although I like the new look.

I had win 7x64, and upgraded to 10. Not too difficult at all. It was such a good experience, that I decided to keep win 10, and commit to a fresh install. Almost all of my programs are compatible, so why not?
    Made the boot drive from a USB, formatted my hard drive, and went for it. Here's the problem:
    Now, all my settings must be adjusted to my liking, one of which is the password login feature, which should be a request to implement, not automatically assumed that you need it, and will have to undo it later.
    There isn't a clear way to navigate to this setting, and I had to use the cheat, "netplwiz" in the box. Then, I uncheck the box requiring a password to login, and restart to verify. Once restarted, windows automatically created another profile, with my actual name, and I must pick one of two, one having my profile picture and info, and the other having a generic avatar. Even after choosing the correct one, I still must use my password to login. I can only assume that this is because there are two profiles or "users" now, and one is incomplete. There isn't a clear way for me to delete this incomplete other profile, and no ideas for even why windows created it in the first place. I know it's something I changed or otherwise DID, but I need to undo it, somehow.
    Is this clear? Confused? Me too...
    Thanks in advance.

:)

mike01, May 4, 2016
  2. Jessen P Win User

All accounts guest accounts, no user admin

Hi Nimita,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

Enable the hidden Administrator Account and
    try creating user account and check.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt.

To do that you need to do the following:

a) Press
    Windows key + X on the keyboard.

b) Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts
    for permission.

c) Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

Now create a new user account and make this account as an administrator.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-user-account

Note: This also applies to Windows 10

Once you are done creating a new user account disable hidden Administrator Account.

To do that you need to do the following:

a) Press
    Windows key + X on the keyboard.

b) Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts
    for permission.

c) To disable the account follow the same instructions, but run the following command instead:
    net user administrator /active:no

If you have any more suggestions/queries related to Windows feel free to post. We will be happy to help you.

Jessen P, May 4, 2016
  3. All accounts guest accounts, no user admin

Accidentally i deleted my User admin account. Now i can login only as a guest account my laptop. How to make my this guest account new admin. Please help me

nimitaggarwal, May 4, 2016
  4. mike01 Win User

User accounts

Ok, so I wish I could tell you how I did this, but it's so unfamiliar, I don't know what setting I changed, but all is fine now. Just for future development purposes, all profile settings ought to be much easier and intuitive to access. This was unnecessarily difficult, and I can't even answer this post with a solution.

mike01, May 5, 2016
  5. Kupuna Win User
    Mike, I'm glad you solved your problem, but do any fragments of recall remain to help me fish around for a similar solution?
    My system starts with a generic icon saying I entered the wrong password. Clicking that gives me a new box with a second chance to enter my password (which it then accepts). At the same time the second chance is opened, two rectangles appear in the lower left of my screen with two different user names (both mine). I can enter my correct password in response to either of the two rectangles or the main password entry...they all work.
    Sounds like I messed up my user account somehow. Any insights on this? Thanks for the time.
    Greg

Kupuna, May 5, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Sounds like you have your system setup to automatically log you on at boot but it has the wrong password remembered.

Use netplwiz as Mike mentioned. Select your account then check or uncheck User must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

When you click OK and you checked the box you go to the Automatically sign in window where you can enter the correct password.
    If you unchecked the box the window just closes. Go back in and do it again and set the correct password.

Ztruker, May 7, 2016
  7. Kupuna Win User
    Thank you. Worked very well.

Kupuna, May 7, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

User accounts

Good, glad that helped. In checking that out I messed up my system so I need to go fix it now *Redface

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

User accounts

1. User accounts - Similar Threads - User accounts

2. User account missing from lock screen, Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account missing from lock screen, Windows 10 Home: So our C drive was getting full and I deleted some apps and things. Then my husband's user profile disappeared from our home lock screen. We use to see both names on the bottom left for each of us to sign in. I thought I accidentally somehow deleted his account but his name...
  3. User account missing from lock screen, Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account missing from lock screen, Windows 10 Home: So our C drive was getting full and I deleted some apps and things. Then my husband's user profile disappeared from our home lock screen. We use to see both names on the bottom left for each of us to sign in. I thought I accidentally somehow deleted his account but his name...
  4. User account missing from lock screen, Windows 10 Home

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Kiosk mode causes all user account to be black screen after applying provisioning package...

Kiosk mode causes all user account to be black screen after applying provisioning package...: Not a question but I'm attempting to Answer the previous issue from January. I've been running into the same issue but what ended up working for me was I built the provisioning package using Microsoft Configuration Design from the Microsoft store. I was able to build, test,...
  6. Kiosk mode causes all user account to be black screen after applying provisioning package...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kiosk mode causes all user account to be black screen after applying provisioning package...: Not a question but I'm attempting to Answer the previous issue from January. I've been running into the same issue but what ended up working for me was I built the provisioning package using Microsoft Configuration Design from the Microsoft store. I was able to build, test,...
  7. User Account Control keeps popping up with only the no option. Cant install anything to PC....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Account Control keeps popping up with only the no option. Cant install anything to PC....: User Account Control keeps popping up with only the no option. Cant install anything to PC. Do you want to allow app to make Changes to PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-account-control-keeps-popping-up-with-only/09a54232-4000-4cd7-bac1-e8dcd2bdc20f
  8. User Account Control keeps popping up with only the no option. Cant install anything to PC....

User Account Control keeps popping up with only the no option. Cant install anything to PC....: User Account Control keeps popping up with only the no option. Cant install anything to PC. Do you want to allow app to make Changes to PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-account-control-keeps-popping-up-with-only/09a54232-4000-4cd7-bac1-e8dcd2bdc20f
  9. User Account Control keeps popping up with only the no option. Cant install anything to PC....

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. how do I find the other user account on my PC

how do I find the other user account on my PC: I have a new business optiplex computer that is set up for work. I created a new user for personal use with a separate Microsoft account and when I logged in to the personal user account the main work user disappeared. I was unable to get the user to show up on the home...