Windows 10: User friendly way to test SSD HD

Discus and support User friendly way to test SSD HD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is there a user friendly way to test an SSD HD? Have downloaded a few bits of software that give a load of numbers and no explanation of how bad the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by woldsweather, Feb 14, 2016.

1. User friendly way to test SSD HD

Is there a user friendly way to test an SSD HD? Have downloaded a few bits of software that give a load of numbers and no explanation of how bad the drive is?

:)

woldsweather, Feb 14, 2016
  2. FE_975 Win User

Windows 10 - New PC, move user accounts from SSD to HD, securely

Ive just got a new W10 PC. It has a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HD.

I Turned it on, created one (local Admin) account, installed W10, and updated.

I now have to create three user accounts that I wish to be on the HD not the SSD, and to be secure from each other such that user 1 cannot see the files of user 2 and user 3 etc.

I signed into User 1 and as a test used the Documents folder location move option to move it to the HD. It moved OK and took the documents with it.

But when I signed into user 2, I could see and open these documents, which I do not want.

Question - Whats the easiest way to move these folders and keep them secure to each user? Can I move the profile in one go, or do I have to move Documents, Photos, Music and Video for each user one at a time?

Thanks

FE_975, Feb 14, 2016
  3. FE_975 Win User
    W10 home - Move program files securely from SSD to HD

I have a new W10 PC, it has a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HD. I wish to create a secure Program Files and Program Files (x86) on the HD, such that any future programs can be installed to it. BUT, I want them to be secure, such that a standard user can see and execute them
    but cannot delete or alter them.

If I install a program like firefox ( example ) to the HD, I can get it to install there but any user on my system seems to be able to also write to the folders and even delete them. Not perfect. If I install it to the default SSD then it is secure.

Question:

Is there any easy way to make all future Programs install to the HD, even if I have to manually tell it to do so each time, in a secure way?

Thanks

PS, See this post for original question -
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-new-pc-move-user-accounts-from-ssd-to/23b66112-4e3c-4def-97f6-d026333539cc
    Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

FE_975, Feb 14, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

User friendly way to test SSD HD

Why do you you think the drive is going bad?

Winuser, Feb 14, 2016
  5. Pre boot tests came up with beeping and an error

6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Many manufacturers have software to monitor their drives, like Samsung's Magician. These will give basic diagnostic status.

A program a lot of folks like is HD Tune. Another is AS SSD Benchmark, Crystal Disk, SSDLIfe.

Please explain "Pre boot tests". That could mean a few things.

7. Winuser Win User
    The first thing I would suggest is backup to another drive anything you don't want to lose. Even if the drive isn't going bad it always pays to have backups.

Winuser, Feb 14, 2016
  8. User friendly way to test SSD HD

No need . Only windows on the SSD with errors. All data on 4 other drives.

9. THe pre boot test are from the BIOS

10. I have run some of these you mention and I get a lot of meaningless numbers so I was hoping for one that said - your have a bad drive or similar layman termsa.

11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Beeping, and errors on POST (Power On Startup Test) mean that there is a hardware problem or BIOS problem.
    The POST will signal GOOD with one beep on systems that still have a motherboard speaker.

You can clear up many POST problems by doing a "CMOS Reset" (or ClearCMOS, or CLRTC)

If there is a hardware problem, and you suspect it is the SSD, you can test by physically disconnecting the SSD (unplug the data and power connectors with PC off) and then starting the computer. You should disconnect ALL hard drives for this test.
    The OS will not start of course. You will get an error message telling you there is no operating system. That's OK. You just want to see if you get the POST error without any hard drives installed.
    Let us know the results.

Now Dells also have their own diagnostic startup process and this can occur after the POST. It is important to know when you get the beeping.
    If it is the Dell diagnostic beeping then you can usually find a diagnostic code (either with lights or alpha-numerical LEDs) that can be looked up to see what they error could be caused by.
    Let us know if this is the case.

I gave you the instructions to post images on TenForums so you could post the hard drive diagnostic results. Someone here can look at those and tell you what the numbers mean.

Typical ClearCMOS/CLRTC Procedure:

• Note all your current BIOS settings
    • Find the CLRTC jumper block on your motherboard (check your manual)
    • Shut down the computer > remove the power cord.
    • Remove the 3v motherboard battery.
    • Move the CLRTC jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3.
    • Touch a metal part of the case and Press and Hold the reset button for approx. 30 seconds to discharge all power from the board.
    • Put the CLRTC jumper back on pins 1-2.
    • Replace the 3v battery > replace the power cord > boot.
    • Immediately go back into BIOS and reset all your preferred settings. If the CLRTC worked you will need to reset the date and time in BIOS.

12. b1rd Win User
    Hi woldsweather,

What about some software, as mentioned above, to at least give you a preliminary look at what the condition is?

There's SSDlife Free 2.5.82, that's free (obviously). It will show a basic condition report. Another better option is Hard Disk Sentinel. I'm not sure what the price is, but they might have a 'try before you buy' option. They were giving it away for a day the other week at no charge, so I was able to grab a copy. It is impressive.

SSD Life (Free)

User friendly way to test SSD HD [​IMG]

Hard Disk Sentinel

User friendly way to test SSD HD [​IMG]

13. User friendly way to test SSD HD

[OK many thanks for your help. Some results to follow.

QUOTE=b1rd;569870]Hi ,

What about some software, as mentioned above, to at least give you a preliminary look at what the condition is?

There's SSDlife Free 2.5.82, that's free (obviously). It will show a basic condition report. Another better option is Hard Disk Sentinel. I'm not sure what the price is, but they might have a 'try before you buy' option. They were giving it away for a day the other week at no charge, so I was able to grab a copy. It is impressive.

SSD Life (Free)

Attachment 64455

Hard Disk Sentinel
    Attachment 64456

b1rd[/QUOTE]

woldsweather, Feb 15, 2016
  14. It appears its my data file rather than the OCD SSD that's faulty? This is backed up twice to 2 external HD's so fone there. Worth reformatting it?

woldsweather, Feb 15, 2016
  15. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Feb 15, 2016
Thema:

User friendly way to test SSD HD

1. User friendly way to test SSD HD - Similar Threads - User friendly test

2. Internal SSD HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal SSD HD: I have an Asus which appears to have internally shorted out. The SSD HD has a ribbon cable attached. From what Ive been reading, I may be able to use this drive externally in a little case with a usb (sata-usb) device. Is this possible? The windows 10 operating system also...
  3. Is there a way to test MacOS on a PC?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Is there a way to test MacOS on a PC?: Hello I am thinking about switching from Windows to MacOS. However, I have no idea how the software feels and would like to test it beforehand. I have a computer with AMD processor or one with Intel i3 processor. Is there a way to test the system on it? Gibt es eine...
  4. Windows10 SSD+HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 SSD+HD: Nemrég sikeresen migráltam cca 800 GB-os HD partícióról egy 120 GB-os SSD-re a 18363.535-ös Windows 10-et és szerencsésen sikerült az aktiválása is. Az SSD eléggé megtelt a feltelepített programok miatt, ezért szeretném a régi merevlemez egyik partíciójára vissza migrálni az...
  5. Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD: Good day, I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro and the C: Drive is a 256 Gb SSD drive. The other internal drive D: is a 2 Tb SATA 5400 RPM hard drive. Currently the C: drive has just about everything on it, including all user folders and files. I would prefer to...
  6. Reformatting SSD and not HD

Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  7. Microsoft is a not user friendly!

Microsoft is a not user friendly!: I just downloaded Office 2016 for my iMac. I realize that Steve and Bill didn't always agree, but it would be super helpful if the download/install instructions actually explained how to access services that have been purchased so WE CAN USE THEM. I am relatively tech...
  8. Is this forum user friendly??????????

in Windows 10 Support
    Is this forum user friendly??????????: Hi, I am a new member and yesterday I made my first post. 1) It was supposed to be posted in "Installation & Maintenance" but for some reason found it's way into "Performance & Maintenance" ?????????? LOOK FOR: Windows 10-1803 "corrupted files & sfc /scannow malfunction" 2)...
  9. Is CryptoPrevent 8 user friendly?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is CryptoPrevent 8 user friendly?: I didn't get around to updating to version 8 as this program is easy to forget you have... Now I have reinstalled Windows I will probably reinstall it. I recall someone saying version 8 was not so user friendly as the old version, is that true? Is it still a good additional...
  10. HD too SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    HD too SSD: Almost a year I updated my Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now I would like to replace my DH with an SSD. I will make a clone of the HD to the SSD with AOMEI Backupper Professional. What about my Microsoft Windows License? Will it still be valid? thanks in advance for...