Windows 10: User name or password is incorrect message upon restart after FCU

Discus and support User name or password is incorrect message upon restart after FCU in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Since after installing Fall Creators update I am facing a very weird issue for which I don't seem to find any solution anywhere. Whenever I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by IronZorg89, Oct 28, 2017.

1. User name or password is incorrect message upon restart after FCU

Since after installing Fall Creators update I am facing a very weird issue for which I don't seem to find any solution anywhere. Whenever I restart/reboot my PC, the first screen that shows up even before the login screen is:"The user name or password is incorrect"How can that be, when I have not even had a chance to enter any user name or password. After clicking OK on the infamous message, then I will have the login screen where I can enter my credentials (user name & password). After that, everything will go smooth.The problem is nerve-racking, frustrating, freaking aggravating. I even changed my password but to no avail. I also ran a repair install with no luck either. Two temporary solutions I found didn't appeal well to me:- netplwiz settings: Untick Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer (I don't want to leave my computer unprotected)- Enter the following command in Run box: shutdown /r /t 0 (I don't want to do that every time I am restarting my PC).I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue after installing Fall Creators Update. It seems that this problem is not new and has been around since Vista & Win 7 especially after an upgrade.

:)

IronZorg89, Oct 28, 2017
  2. NanP_help Win User

User Name or Password is incorrect message

I fully appreciate David Haz's post as well as everyone else. When I got David's initial post, I followed the instructions and set the "feature" to off. Now I am confused. I would have to conclude that Microsoft or some other third party (who knows
    whom) is trying to log into my system which I find unacceptable without giving prior permission.

Guess I will leave this "feature" off until the "bug" is resolved. Would prefer to have the option to return to Windows 7 and forget all this nonsense.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,

NPetty

NanP_help, Oct 28, 2017
  3. David Haz Win User
    User Name or Password is incorrect message

We appreciate the feedback you provided. This option speeds up the Windows sign-in process to sign in and set up your PC after an update or restart. If the option is enabled, all your opened applications and their corresponding resources will be preserved
    while doing a restart of the system. However, it may take some time to reopen the applications, depending on the performance of your computer.

This option is enabled by default after you have upgraded or updated to Windows 10 version 1709. Though, you can turn this option on or off at your convenience by following the steps mentioned before.

If you have further questions about using this option, feel free to post back to us.

David Haz, Oct 28, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

User name or password is incorrect message upon restart after FCU

This isn't a new problem - it has happened to me since Windows 7 at least (now and again).

Try toggling netplwiz on and off a few times restarting in-between - it often resets it.

5. I have tried this "Once" but not a few times. I am going to try the latter and see what gives. Thanks!

IronZorg89, Oct 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Quite easily. In netplwiz you can untick 'Users must enter a username and password to use this PC' then set up a user to automatically sign in.
    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

If you enter an incorrect name and/or password for the user to automatically log in (which you are allowed to, it's not checked) then you'll see that message at startup. To clear it, open Netplwiz and either tick the box, or untick it and correct the user's details.

In your case, looks like something in this area got misconfigured during the upgrade to FCU. Should be easy to reset.

As a side note, sometimes an incorrect password here can be useful. For a family PC where security isn't an issue, some choose to have no passwords for their users. In this case, then at startup there won't be a prompt to choose a user, it will automatically sign in as the last user who was signed in. To get a choice of users at startup, you could set a user to log in automatically, but with an incorrect password.

7. I have just finished trying it three times and restarting in between. It didn't work. I think I am going to go for a clean boot procedure and I will post back.

IronZorg89, Oct 29, 2017
  8. User name or password is incorrect message upon restart after FCU

Thanks for your assistance, Bree. The thing is I want to be able to restart the computer as it used to be before FCU, i.e., right-click the Windows logo button at the far extreme left of the Taskbar and hover over "Shut down or sign out" and then click on Restart and not having this mind-boggling message: "The user name or password is incorrect".

I really don't want to leave my computer unprotected. I have three accounts on my PC: mine as the administrator, a standard user account, and a local Administrator account. I have also tried what you have suggested in netplwiz, — untick the: "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" where one is asked to select the user and then enter user name and password — It works, but it is just a temporary solution. As I just mentioned to "Ix07" above, I am going to try a clean boot procedure and will post back. I am pretty sure some apps either from UWP or from my desktop is causing the issue.

IronZorg89, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  10. I had it "Verify" your Microsoft account as I mentioned in your thread (tutorial): Add Shutdown to desktop context menu. That's when after receiving the code from Microsoft on my phone, I thought everything was OK. Meaning I don't have Verify anymore as suggested in Option One of the tutorial you are referring to.

My gut feelings are telling me to try a clean boot procedure, because every time I click on "Restart" I have this very first message: "This app is preventing you from restarting" to which I always click on "Restart anyway". The point is I don't know diddly-squat about which app it is, since there is only a nameless generic icon beside the message.

Thanks anyhow, I will post back.

IronZorg89, Oct 29, 2017
  11. I have tried the clean boot procedure by following the Tenforums' tutorial to a T, but couldn't find the culprit. My guess is, since one has to "Hide all Microsoft services" while clean booting, it has got to be one of those from Microsoft. I have not tinkered around with the latter for fear that I might not be able to restart at all. Probably, I will give it a try at Microsoft Services tomorrow and see what happens..

IronZorg89, Oct 29, 2017
  12. Eureka!!!. I really found the solution to the problem and it was something very simple. All one has to do is to go to Settings (gear icon) > Accounts > Sign-in Options. In the Sign-in options page, scroll down up to Privacy. Underneath the latter, put the toggle to "OFF" for "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart". That really did the trick, because after that I restarted the PC twice, just to make sure and I never saw again the message " The user name or password is incorrect". I did it for both of my PCs which rebooted directly to the logon screen.

User name or password is incorrect message upon restart after FCU [​IMG]

A big thank you at @Brink, @ Bree, @ Ix07 for your help and support.

IronZorg89, Oct 29, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  14. I don't know exactly what had happened. First off, Automatic Update on both PCs is always turned off as per choice. Second, For FCU I din't wait for Microsoft to give me the signal through Windows Updates; I went directly to their site and got it from "Update Assistant" on the same day October 17, 2017. Finally, my credentials for the subscription to Office 365 are the same I used to log in to my PC. They must have changed the settings during the update, for I never had this problem before with previous builds.

At any rate, I really nailed it this time around and I am so glad that it is all over.

Thanks again for your support, Shawn! *Party *Party

Update: @ Brink,
    I got the tip on how to fix the problem from a tech support friend.

IronZorg89, Oct 29, 2017
  15. It would be helpful if you could explain what this option does. I read the tutorial but I’m still not clear on one point. Even with the slider turned on I must enter my PIN in the login screen after a Windows Update is installed. What would be different if I turned it off?

radiowaves, Oct 30, 2017
Thema:

1. User name or password is incorrect message upon restart after FCU - Similar Threads - User name password

2. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  3. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  4. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Incorrect User Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect User Names: When I transferred my system to a new computer, the user names are incorrect for my microsoft acct and I am unable some of my documents. How can I fix this?There is also an unknown account manager....
  6. Incorrect password message

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Incorrect password message: For several days now, I've gotten an 'Incorrect Password' message when unlocking my computer. This never used to happen and I know I'm slowly entering the correct password-caps lock is not on. I can't even click on OK after the error message because it's greyed out-the only...
  7. Incorrect User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Incorrect User Name: I am the sole user of my PC and so I set it up to by-pass the password entry screen and boot straight into the start screen. Two weeks ago I started to receive an error message on start up. The message tells me that the username or password is incorrect, try again. When...
  8. The user name or password is incorrect at logon screen

The user name or password is incorrect at logon screen: Hi, I've installed Ubuntu side by side with Windows 10. After selecting to boot windows from grub bootloader I get a logon screen with the message: [img] When I press enter the logon process goes as usual I enter my password and login. How can I disable this...
  9. 'incorrect user name and password'

'incorrect user name and password': I am a beginner with windows 10. When I log in I now get 'incorrect user name and password' and I see I have now got two User Accounts in my own name. How do I get rid of the wrong one? (I'm sure this has been asked many times but I couldn't find it in FAQs). Since it...
  10. Incorrect Password after changing 'user'

Incorrect Password after changing 'user': Hello all. Newbie here and not very tech savvy. I was working on my laptop just fine this morning and when using a specific program noticed it was saving work as a previous user. So I went to accounts and changed the user name to mine. Now when I start the computer and am...