Windows 10: User Problems when trying to share

Discus and support User Problems when trying to share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've followed your tutorial on sharing a folder C:\stuff in my \\comp1 and my laptop, \\comp2 can see the icons of the shared folder \\comp1\stuff... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rapidrain, Aug 23, 2018.

1. rapidrain Win User

User Problems when trying to share

I've followed your tutorial on sharing a folder C:\stuff in my \\comp1 and my laptop, \\comp2 can see the icons of the shared folder \\comp1\stuff under network/comp1

However when I try to look at the contents of \\comp1\stuff I am told I do not have the correct permissions

"Windows cannot access \\comp1\stuff...you do not have permission to access \\comp1\stuff

In both PCs I am an administrator,
    in both PCs I am John Smith,
    and in both PCs I have the same microsoft email id : L: john.smith@outlook.com

I am the same person. it asks for a name and a pw
    I give it "john" or "john smith" or "comp1\john" or "\\comp1\John smith"
    and the network pw but nothing happens

What's going on here? I was able to do it with XP.

:)

rapidrain, Aug 23, 2018

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Aug 23, 2018
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

1. User Problems when trying to share - Similar Threads - User Problems trying

2. users notified when their mailboxes are shared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    users notified when their mailboxes are shared: users notified when their mailboxes are sharedFrom a government regulation and privacy regulation how can we set it so that when a users mailbox is shared in office 365 that the user has the option to be notified. Currently o365 and azure are stuck on their fixed lists and...
  3. users notified when their mailboxes are shared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    users notified when their mailboxes are shared: users notified when their mailboxes are sharedFrom a government regulation and privacy regulation how can we set it so that when a users mailbox is shared in office 365 that the user has the option to be notified. Currently o365 and azure are stuck on their fixed lists and...
  4. Denied access when trying to share folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Denied access when trying to share folder: I am trying to share a folder to another user on the network. I am the admin and I'm logged in, I've gone through all the security settings for the file but when I run the Quickbooks Server it tells me that the file is not shared and that I do not have the appropriate...
  5. Denied access when trying to share folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Denied access when trying to share folder: I am trying to share a folder to another user on the network. I am the admin and I'm logged in, I've gone through all the security settings for the file but when I run the Quickbooks Server it tells me that the file is not shared and that I do not have the appropriate...
  6. Denied access when trying to share folder

7. Wrong password and no administrator user when trying to troubleshoot startup problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong password and no administrator user when trying to troubleshoot startup problems: I was on my computer in the morning. I had a hit on my router and then my computer went black. I did a complete shutdown and turned it back on. When I enter the password, it tells me that it is incorrect. Tried rebooting keeping shift and then tried to fix startup issue. It...
  8. Wrong password and no administrator user when trying to troubleshoot startup problems

Wrong password and no administrator user when trying to troubleshoot startup problems: I was on my computer in the morning. I had a hit on my router and then my computer went black. I did a complete shutdown and turned it back on. When I enter the password, it tells me that it is incorrect. Tried rebooting keeping shift and then tried to fix startup issue. It...
  9. Wrong password and no administrator user when trying to troubleshoot startup problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Explorer hangs when trying to open share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer hangs when trying to open share: I am trying to access a share on my desktop computer from my laptop. I can connect to the share and the share appears on the left hand side in Explorer, but Explorer hangs a lot when I try to get into the share or do other operations such as changing a folder name. Sometimes...