Windows 10: User received an Illegal File Process error

Discus and support User received an Illegal File Process error in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a client that said they are getting this error multiple times over the past week and the PC either restarts or they are restarting it. I ran SFC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jdbradford, Jul 18, 2017.

1. User received an Illegal File Process error

I have a client that said they are getting this error multiple times over the past week and the PC either restarts or they are restarting it. I ran SFC and it said Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I then ran DISM and it says the source files could not be found.
    I have never run that tool before and hope some of you may have some guidance.

J

:)

jdbradford, Jul 18, 2017
  2. petrib Win User

how do i UNPROTECT music files!!!?!?!??!

If you have received DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected files, then "unprotecting" it might be illegal depending on the laws and regulations in the country where you are.

If it that is what you want, then as this is a global (world-wide) Nokia-operated discussion board, I don't think the moderatrors can allow any discussion regarding illegal or even potentially illegal activities.

You're best off finding the same music so that you get the legal ownership or license to its use youself.

petrib, Jul 18, 2017
  3. Cannot update Windows 10 wilb the normal process

When checking for updates recently, the process does not show any available updates. I ran the Troubleshooter for Windows update and received the following trouble report.

Windows Update Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

The system cannot locate the resource specified. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Users/hanki/AppData/Local/ElevatedDi...

HarryIngle, Jul 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

User received an Illegal File Process error

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    Option 7 for command format

That's from the extensive and professional quality Tutorial format which you're free to browse and search
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index Windows 10 Tutorials

There are threads discussing this - simply search the forum for
    DISM source not found
    e.g.
    DISM unable to locate Install.wim file Solved - Windows 10 Forums

This utility may be of interest (makes it easier):
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
    - see post #2 and reference to source not found, which is quite common.

You may end up doing an in-place upgrade repair install. which keeps all programs and data and most settings
    (See the Tutorial section for a tutorial - basically boot normally then start Windows setup.exe from a Windows boot medium or mounted iso)
    If the user has the Creator's build, that's easy, as the current build is that.
    If the user has the Anniversary build, then an in-place upgrade repair requires the Anniversary iso (using a Creator's build iso would upgrade the PC)

dalchina, Jul 19, 2017
  5. Thank you for this information. I will try it on the PC shortly.

J

jdbradford, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

User received an Illegal File Process error

1. User received an Illegal File Process error - Similar Threads - User received Illegal

2. Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters: I returned to some work from last week and it seems there was a code-related mishap - a number of files and folders have somehow been created from my code, using the start of each line of code itself as a file / foldername string: Directory of...
  3. Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting Files and Folders with Illegal Characters: I returned to some work from last week and it seems there was a code-related mishap - a number of files and folders have somehow been created from my code, using the start of each line of code itself as a file / foldername string: Directory of...
  4. Onedrive Illegal files transfert

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive Illegal files transfert: Hello,I moved few monthes ago on Windows 11 fresh installation.I never opt in on Onedrive client side. Never. I have no use of this tool.Since the last OS update, Onedrive software certainly has picked up my Xbox Game Pass credentials and uploaded my PRIVATE FILES on this...
  5. Onedrive Illegal files transfert

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive Illegal files transfert: Hello,I moved few monthes ago on Windows 11 fresh installation.I never opt in on Onedrive client side. Never. I have no use of this tool.Since the last OS update, Onedrive software certainly has picked up my Xbox Game Pass credentials and uploaded my PRIVATE FILES on this...
  6. illegal state change requested error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    illegal state change requested error.: i just got the new forza 5 horizon and noticed when i try to make a convoy/party on pc it asked me to login and i did and it prompted me that there was a illegal state change requested and it can't sign me in. however i can login to my account fine on google or any browser...
  7. Error code: Status illegal instruction

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error code: Status illegal instruction: Hello, I would like some help with an issue that occurs while i'm watching a youtube video on my laptop. It happens a lot lately and is very annoying. So, while i'm watching a video, the page stops working and the message "oops something went wrong" appears on my screen...
  8. Error! Illegal memory address

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error! Illegal memory address: Hello, I am trying to run an old pc game on my laptop. I’ve changed the graphics to suit the old game, I’ve downloaded DirectX but an error keeps popping up “Illegal memory address”. Does anyone know what this means and how I can fix it please? submitted by...
  9. IS IT ILLEGAL?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    IS IT ILLEGAL?: I am not a legal expert, and would like to know if it is in theory illegal to share (for free) a functional, NOT-ACTIVATED, non-malicious, windows ISO, that has been stripped down to be less hardware intensive with performance tweaks prepared to a friend, considering they...
  10. illegally encrpted files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    illegally encrpted files.: A number of my files have be encrypted by unknown source; who requires payment of $500 to decrypt the files (see below). How do I decrypt said fails without paying the ransom?...