Windows 10: Users Will Be Able To Enable Bitlocker on Windows 10 Phone Devices

Discus and support Users Will Be Able To Enable Bitlocker on Windows 10 Phone Devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; None of the usual websites seem to have picked up on it, however during Ignite 2015 one of the architects has said that it will be possible for users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by ARC1020, May 7, 2015.

1. ARC1020 Win User

Users Will Be Able To Enable Bitlocker on Windows 10 Phone Devices

None of the usual websites seem to have picked up on it, however during Ignite 2015 one of the architects has said that it will be possible for users to enable Bitlocker on Windows 10 phone devices. Previously Microsoft restricted it to corporate users as it needed to be enabled through Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) or Mobile Device Management (MDM), which normal users didn't have access to.

Source: 'Windows 10 for Mobile Devices: Secure by Design' (50:20 in):
    Windows 10 for Mobile Devices: Secure by Design

Although this is brilliant news and I'm happy that they're finally allowing users to enable it, I think it's still maybe a bit short-sighted, and here's why.

With Universal Apps about to totally change how people use software and 128GB MicroSD cards being affordable now, I can see people wanting to sync ALL their files, music collection, etc. between PC, OneDrive and phone so that their files are always available offline whereever they are and whatever device they're on. But unfortunately, if they want them safely encrypted this announcement only provides half a solution, as the speaker went on to say that Bitlocker for phone devices is still restricted to internal storage only, which means that unless they don't have much data, they're going to have to wait until devices come with more internal storage built-in before they can take advantage of it.

Even then though, I can't help thinking a Bitlocker encrypted MicroSD card would be a better place to store OneDrive/user files on a phone, so that when someone gets a new device they can just swap the card over to the new device, enter the Bitlocker password and all the files are there ready (assuming it isn't locked to the phones TPM and recovery key required). Maybe there's a technical reason they don't want to go down this route, I don't know.

:)

ARC1020, May 7, 2015

2. Lumia 920 Encryption

I know with WP8, encryption is pretty much built throughout the device from secure boot, sandboxed encrypted apps and data encryption is supported, but, enabled by EAS or via a MDM policy.. Not sure if there is a way the user can toggle this feature or not.

This is from the Windows Phone 8 Security Whitepaper:

Device encryption

To help keep everything from documents to passwords safe, Windows Phone 8
    6 encrypts the internal storage of the device, including the operating system and

data partitions. Device encryption is enabled by EAS or device management policy.

Device encryption in Windows Phone 8 uses BitLocker technology to encrypt all internal data storage on the phone. Once enabled, BitLocker conversion automatically starts encrypting the internal storage. With both PIN-lock and BitLocker enabled, the
    combination of data encryption and device lock would make it extremely difficult for an attacker to recover sensitive information from a device.

slashd0t---01, May 7, 2015
  3. garym123 Win User
    Is device memory encryption on or off by default on WP8?

No, this is just necessary to enable bitlocker. Anybody can get an exchange account.

Business users have exchange accounts so it is no problem for the users that actually need bitlocker.

garym123, May 7, 2015
  4. Vladimir Win User

Interesting !

*Smile

Vladimir, May 7, 2015
  5. DavidY Win User
    It's no surprise though - even the basic version of Windows 8.1 has device encryption for devices which meet the InstantGo spec (which tends to be things with solid state storage like tablets), which uses Bitlocker technology, so I'd have been surprised if they'd done anything else.

DavidY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Users Will Be Able To Enable Bitlocker on Windows 10 Phone Devices - Similar Threads - Users Able Enable

2. not able to enable telnet client in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    not able to enable telnet client in windows 10: Hello , i am trying to enable telnet client but i getting the following error message [ATTACH] so tried updating my windows but getting this error [ATTACH] i have win 10 home version 1903 currently installed. 64bit x64 based processor...
  3. Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?: Recently I looked into enabling "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on Windows 10 Pro. After enabling it, I discovered that "Device Encryption" under Settings -> Update and Security -> Device Encryption was already enabled. This is a new Lenovo laptop from 12/2020, bought from...
  4. not able to enable bluetooth on my device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not able to enable bluetooth on my device: Dear All, I have tried 3-4 methods like updating driver ,downloading and updating driver, adding legacy drivers and took multiple restarts of my laptop which i work on windows 10 but nothing above worked for me same goes with my webcam too can anyone help on this it's bit...
  5. Enabling Bitlocker with UEFI Secure Boot enabled renders the device unbootable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enabling Bitlocker with UEFI Secure Boot enabled renders the device unbootable: Hi all, Wondering if some of you may be able to shed some light on this. We've been enabling Bitlocker on some client machines, but have been finding that with this enabled, and the device rebooted, the device can no longer see the bootable device, so gets stuck in the BIOS....
  6. Bitlock not able to Enable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlock not able to Enable: Hi , we have win 10 enterprise Edition . The OS installed through UEFI mode after that i power on the machine . It won't ask the Bitlocker Pin .so i thought i would ask the next logon. i restarted again then also not asking not able to activation manually also. Do the...
  7. Bitlocker Not Enabling

Bitlocker Not Enabling: I just started up Bitlocker, and completed most of the process, but the program ever got around to encrypting. I assume this is due to system administrator lock-out, but I've confirmed I have sys admin privileges. This is a brand-new computer without a network. Attached is...
  8. Enabling BitLocker

Enabling BitLocker: On my personal laptop, I'm trying to turn on BitLocker and I get this notice. Does anyone know and have any detailed instructions on how I can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/enabling-bitlocker/5ff617a2-e9da-44ea-827f-131e28056882"
  9. Enabling Bitlocker with GPO

Enabling Bitlocker with GPO: Once the GPO for BitLocker's settings have been configured and assigned do I still need to manually enable Bitlocker on the specific device or should the GPO kick off the process automatically? 95742
  10. Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging

Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging: I am trying to create a Windows 10 image for my organization, and cannot figure out one particular issue with Bitlocker. It seems that after I sysprep, and throw the image on a new computer, it then has BitLocker partially enabled. What I mean is that when going to the About...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot enable bitlocker the startup options on this pc are configured incorrectly