Windows 10: Using A Friends Unused Product Key & Driver Question

Discus and support Using A Friends Unused Product Key & Driver Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I am currently running Windows Vista on my computer, but would like to upgrade to Windows 10. I have a few questions. My friend, who has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OurWarPaint, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Using A Friends Unused Product Key & Driver Question

Hello
    I am currently running Windows Vista on my computer, but would like to upgrade to Windows 10. I have a few questions.

• My friend, who has a Windows 7-running computer, is willing to give me their product activation key for their free Windows 10 upgrade. Would it be possible for me to download the Windows 10 ISO file, then use my friends product activation key when it asks for one?
    • I know that I will lose my files and programs if I do not back them up to a USB or external hard drive before installing Windows 10, but will Windows 10 also wipe the drivers I have installed on my computer? (Such as my graphics card driver, sound drivers, printer drivers, etc.)
    Thank you!

:)

OurWarPaint, Aug 4, 2015

2. windows 10 vs windows 7

If you have an available (otherwise unused) license of Windows 7 (product key and installation media - or at least a retail product key/license) - maybe; it depends on whether or not the hardware in the system in question is supported by its manufacturer
    (or individual component manufacturers) with the operating system (Windows 7) you want to run via device drivers, etc.

Windows 10 PRO or Home?

Shenan Stanley, Aug 4, 2015
  3. downgrate windows 10 to 8.1

You have Windows 10 Pro installed and a copy of Windows 8.1 (with product key) you can use? (Downgrade rights.)

OR...

You have an unused Windows 8.1 _____ edition with product key you can clean install and the hardware in question is supported by the manufacturer when Windows 8.1 is installed?

Shenan Stanley, Aug 4, 2015
  4. pvnam95 Win User

Using A Friends Unused Product Key & Driver Question

1) I think you can clean install Windows 7 then activate with your friend product key but it is illegal. Then you can upgrade by extracting ISO and just click setup.exe
    2) you will lose file in C if you clean install windows 10( by burning ISO to USB) but if you upgrade like above, you will keep your file. I don't know about driver, but Windows 10 work well with wifi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, sound..

pvnam95, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

Using A Friends Unused Product Key & Driver Question

1. Using A Friends Unused Product Key & Driver Question - Similar Threads - Using Friends Unused

2. Unused Windows 11 product key activated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unused Windows 11 product key activated?: Hi. I recently had a customer who had purchased a win11 product key from a local retailer for use on her laptop. My windows 11 installer confirmed my suspicion that her machine was not compatible so I installed win10 and this was automatically activated by the laptops inbuilt...
  3. Unused Windows 11 product key activated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unused Windows 11 product key activated?: Hi. I recently had a customer who had purchased a win11 product key from a local retailer for use on her laptop. My windows 11 installer confirmed my suspicion that her machine was not compatible so I installed win10 and this was automatically activated by the laptops inbuilt...
  4. can I share a used product key with my friend

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I share a used product key with my friend: can I share a used product key with my friend? PS thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-share-a-used-product-key-with-my-friend/c1056540-d991-41d8-879e-d7640a160efd
  5. can I share a used product key with my friend

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I share a used product key with my friend: can I share a used product key with my friend? PS thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-share-a-used-product-key-with-my-friend/c1056540-d991-41d8-879e-d7640a160efd
  6. can I share a used product key with my friend

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Product Key Question

Product Key Question: I just built another PC but I am not sure if I used my product key on an older PC. How can I verify if I used it already and will I lose data on my older PC if I happen to use the product key on my new PC?...
  8. Product Key question

Product Key question: Who do I have to call if I want to transfer my Windows 10 operating to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-question/53ebe7a4-d316-4e9d-8c23-aa97a1474d72
  9. Product Key Question.....

Product Key Question.....: Hi, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the 'MediaCreator' setup tool (for some reason, I never received a notification about my reserved copy) and it activated itself without a problem. I plan to do a clean install at some stage, so I also downloaded...
  10. Product key question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product key question: I am going to install Windows 7 via ISO file when it calls for a product key do I use my win7 key? Thanks 10453