Windows 10: Using a GPU with the output cable plugged in to integrated graphics

Discus and support Using a GPU with the output cable plugged in to integrated graphics in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey, I have a quick question; Is it possible to use my Nvidia 8600GTS card (plugged into PCIe x16, 6 pin power) without actually having the monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Margister, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Margister Win User

Using a GPU with the output cable plugged in to integrated graphics

Hey, I have a quick question;
    Is it possible to use my Nvidia 8600GTS card (plugged into PCIe x16, 6 pin power) without actually having the monitor plugged into it? I am currently using my AMD A10-7800's integrated graphics because I only have a VGA cable and slots on my monitor, so is it possible to use the Nvidia card while being plugged into the motherboard instead of the actual card?

:)

Margister, Aug 9, 2016
  2. JesusPo Win User

After Creators Update, when I install any display driver, my computer restarts and I get a never ending loading screen.

Thanks for all the tips!

I only had to disconnect my DVI because my Integrated Graphics were enabled. I uninstalled the drivers and installed them again. After rebooting my computer and plugging in the DVI cable into de GPU's DVI Slot, my computer boot up to the black screen again.

I disconnected the DVI cable and connected it into the MotherBoard's DVI Slot and it boot up successfully, after that I did a chkdsk /f/r. Started my computer with the DVI cable connected to the GPU's Slot and it is now working!

There's still an issue though, if I install, what it seems of, a graphics driver I boot up to the black screen, so I need to go back to the Integrated Graphics and uninstall what I installed (i.e. Duet).

Any ideas of how to solve it?

JesusPo, Aug 9, 2016
  3. vasnik Win User
    LiveKernelEvents 141 and 117

Would plugging the hdmi cable on the hdmi output of the motherboard work? Cause the gpu is watercooled and Its very hard for me to remove it. If not is there any other way I can bypass it?

vasnik, Aug 9, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Short version: no.

However, the GTS 8600 card probably has DVI-I output(s), so you could use a DVI-to-VGA adapter to plug a VGA cable into the nVidia card.

It's just a passive adapter, so it's very cheap ($4 in the USA, at least). They are often included when you buy a graphics card. If you have any PC enthusiast friends, they are likely to have a few lying around. If I didn't have to deal with international postage, I'd offer to send you one for free.

bobkn, Aug 9, 2016
  5. stormy13 Win User
    All things considering, unless there is a compelling reason for using the 8600 you would be better off using the integrated?APU instead. The APU is far and away faster and much more feature advanced than that old 8600 (which is fast approaching 10 years ago when it came out).

stormy13, Aug 9, 2016
  6. Margister Win User
    Eh, I remember last time this card was plugged into a PC of a friend of mine, games ran quite good, albeit it may just have been a better processor, I have an AMD A10-7800 with integrated graphics (1GB VRAM) and they had an Intel Q6600 with that GTS 8600 and games ran much, much faster than with my current setup.

For some reason, while some games like BF3 and such run quite fast, Skyrim and Minecraft lag and stutter, even in low resolutions like 720p

Margister, Aug 9, 2016
  7. bobkn Win User
    Good point.

I'm accustomed to think of integrated graphics as poor, but a) that is less true for the AMD APUs, and b) the GTS 8600 dates from 2007.

bobkn, Aug 10, 2016
  8. Margister Win User

If you read my post above yours, I actually said that his combo of Intel Q6600+GTS 8600 ran games much faster than my AMD A10-7800

Margister, Aug 10, 2016
  9. bobkn Win User
    I read it. By one benchmark:

PassMark Software - Video Card (GPU) Benchmark Charts

The A10-7800 is considerably better than the GTS 8600. Proves nothing about the performance in specific games.

Why not try it? A DVI to VGA adapter is cheap.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using a GPU with the output cable plugged in to integrated graphics - Similar Threads - Using GPU output

2. High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics: On my laptop, my high performance GPU is set as Radeon graphics instead of GTX 1650, and I cannot be bothered to select a specific GPU every time I install something that requires GPU horsepower. Does anyone have a solution to this?Thanks...
  3. High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High Performance GPU Stuck as Integrated Graphics: On my laptop, my high performance GPU is set as Radeon graphics instead of GTX 1650, and I cannot be bothered to select a specific GPU every time I install something that requires GPU horsepower. Does anyone have a solution to this?Thanks...
  4. Nvidia Optimus: integrated graphics + Nvidia GPU. How to use Nvidia GPU for everything. Do...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nvidia Optimus: integrated graphics + Nvidia GPU. How to use Nvidia GPU for everything. Do...: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Ten-year-old Dell XPS L502x laptop Intel HD Graphics 3000 Nvidia GeForce GT 525M Nvidia Optimus technology, switches between integrated graphics and Nvidia GPU On Nvidia site, final driver release for my card is "GeForce Game Ready...
  5. Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU: Hello. I have had this issue where my computer isn't using my Nvidia GPU when I game or anything else. It instead is using Intel Integrated Graphics. This has been occurring ever since I switched out my HDD for a new one. I have already installed the latest driver for it...
  6. Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU

Laptop Using Integrated Graphics Instead of actual GPU: Hello. I have had this issue where my computer isn't using my Nvidia GPU when I game or anything else. It instead is using Intel Integrated Graphics. This has been occurring ever since I switched out my HDD for a new one. I have already installed the latest driver for it...
  7. No display on PCIE GPU but displays on Integrated Graphics

No display on PCIE GPU but displays on Integrated Graphics: Hello. So I just bought and installed a ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce GT 710 1GB and installed it on my Lenovo M97 tower. After I boot, it goes to the windows loading logo like usual, and the after it loads it goes to no signal. I've already reinstalled the driver's, went into bios,...
  8. No display on PCIE GPU but displays on Integrated Graphics

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No display on PCIE GPU but displays on Integrated Graphics: Hello. So I just bought and installed a ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce GT 710 1GB and installed it on my Lenovo M97 tower. After I boot, it goes to the windows loading logo like usual, and the after it loads it goes to no signal. I've already reinstalled the driver's, went into bios,...
  9. No display on PCIE GPU but displays on Integrated Graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Windows not using integrated graphics

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not using integrated graphics: My laptop has suddenly stopped using integrated graphics. I have the latest intel drivers and windows updates etc. Every post I search online is about how to use the dedicated gpu instead of integrated which is unhelpful because I want the opposite. I want to run the desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor plugged into gpu but using integrated graphics