Windows 10: Using a MS Account Questions

Discus and support Using a MS Account Questions in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Currently, I have a Standard User account meaning a NON-Microsoft Account. I am thinking about creating a MS Account just for storing my BitLocker... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by win10freak, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Using a MS Account Questions

Currently, I have a Standard User account meaning a NON-Microsoft Account.
    I am thinking about creating a MS Account just for storing my BitLocker recovery keys, but also, thinking to use it as my main primary account.

Two questions relating to this:

1. If in case I have no Internet connection, can I still logon to my Windows 10 machine using the MS Account?
    2. Will I be able to disable or remove my MS Account in case I choose to go back to my Standard User Account?

Thanks in advance!

:)

win10freak, Nov 4, 2016
  2. Martmcd Win User
    Martmcd, Nov 4, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    MS account question.

I have two-factor authentication on my account plus a strong password, I checked my account activity recently & found that I had an entry saying 'unusual activity was detected', no other information listed other than it was from the US - not anything saying
    what the activity was either. I changed my password just in case but I did not receive any notification that someone was trying to log in to the account/asking for permission.

I'm informed that having 2 step authentication makes it impossible to access/hack an account so my question is did someone access my account & if so why didn't I receive any notification as it obviously wasn't from a known device?

Time Lady, Nov 4, 2016
  4. Using a MS Account Questions

On first Question Yes you can as I have often had to do it

Cant help you on other Question as I have always had an MS Account never a local one

hTconeM9user, Nov 5, 2016
  5. MoxieMomma, Nov 5, 2016
  6. Another question though, I do not care if MS has my BitLocker recovery key, because all I am preventing here is from standard thieves breaking into my house and stealing my laptop. But how secure is using a MS Account vs using a Local Account?

win10freak, Nov 5, 2016
  7. Hi:

I'm not sure anyone can answer that definitively, as we do not work for MS.
    And it's not clear from your question if you are referring to data telemetry/sharing with MS or to overall computer security from malware, etc.

Either way, much computer security hinges on the end-user as the first and last line of defense, in terms of safe computing practices.

The tutorial I provided in my previous reply lists some of the features -- you can read that list and decide for yourself if they are "advantages" or not, in terms of personal data sharing/vulnerability.

These MS articles may also help:

Microsoft account FAQ
    and
    Microsoft account - security info and security codes

I use only a local account on my Win10. So we'll need to wait for others who use a MS account to weigh in with further advice.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 5, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Using a MS Account Questions

In all honesty, it really does not make any difference - it is so easy to get round passwords whether local or MS (not going to say how but any clued up thief would do it in five minutes).

For online attacks, it could be argued an MS Account is safer as it forces a minimum standard for the password whereas a local password could just be a single letter.

The best reason for using an MSA is the ability to link digital licence to MSA.

cereberus, Nov 5, 2016
  9. Like I said, MS does collect data but for advertisement purposes only and I don't care...
    The main reason is because I want to save my BitLocker key to a MS Account so I don't need to plug in my USB stick and save it on there.
    So If I am locked out, I can just type in the recovery ID and get the full key from my phone by signing into the MS BitLocker Recovery key admin portal.

And by having a MS account, will it be less secure from malware?

win10freak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using a MS Account Questions

1. Using a MS Account Questions - Similar Threads - Using Account Questions

2. using MS account issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    using MS account issue: Was having and issue where minecraft wouldn't launch for my kid. I ended up reinstalling windows because window updates was having issue i couldn't fix. Most likely my kiddo powered it of during updates or something. After a fresh install if windows 11 I can't log in with my...
  3. using MS account issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    using MS account issue: Was having and issue where minecraft wouldn't launch for my kid. I ended up reinstalling windows because window updates was having issue i couldn't fix. Most likely my kiddo powered it of during updates or something. After a fresh install if windows 11 I can't log in with my...
  4. Question of removal of computer in MS account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question of removal of computer in MS account: I have a question, I have read and understand about removal of computer for a two computers in a MS account does not effect the other one is that the same if both computers have same name? When I log into bother computers I only see one computer in MS account...
  5. Question of removal of computer in MS account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question of removal of computer in MS account: I have a question, I have read and understand about removal of computer for a two computers in a MS account does not effect the other one is that the same if both computers have same name? When I log into bother computers I only see one computer in MS account...
  6. MS Account questions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS Account questions: I'm not sure but I think I just opened an MS Account for the first time. But I dont see anywhere to log in or out at ? If this is a MS account, is there a place to log in or out at ? Thank you, Oscar Using Win 10 Pro 164738
  7. My MS account question

My MS account question: I was tinkering around with changing user name in Windows 10. I logged into my MS account and under; Devices > Device info and Support it shows I have Version: 1803 and Build: 10.0.17763.168 On my computer in System > About it shows Ver. 1809 and Build 17763.168 Why would...
  8. Using Local and MS accounts

Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  9. Question after switching primary MS account

Question after switching primary MS account: So I recently switched my primary MS account from the email I used originally, to the email I currently use for my Xbox account, so I can link up purchases of media content between my console and PC. I followed the steps laid out in another thread here where I switched to a...
  10. Using MS account on a local account for games..

Using MS account on a local account for games..: I have a laptop and there are two users created......one (A) with admin status and a MS account. The other is (B) with a local account credentials. B has no MS account. Can I install games from Windows store on B's login account using my MS account? ...and perhaps some...