Windows 10: Using A New .exe For An Application ?

Discus and support Using A New .exe For An Application ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Have had somewhat contradictory results with this, so thought I'd just ask: I have an .exe file for an application. A new version has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Robert11, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Robert11 Win User

Using A New .exe For An Application ?

Hello,

Have had somewhat contradictory results with this, so thought I'd just ask:

I have an .exe file for an application.
    A new version has just come out.

I know I can delete the old .exe one, and use the new one; no problem.

But was wondering: can I just put the new one's icon over the icon for the old, and this deletes the old .exe ?

Or,...?

Thanks,
    B.

:)

Robert11, Nov 18, 2016

2. Assign a new version of an application to open a file

Hi,

Follow the steps below to set the default programs and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on
      Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Nov 18, 2016
  3. ShayMeyer Win User
    Assign a new version of an application to open a file

I have several versions of an application to handle a particular file-type (that is with a particular file-name-extension).

The versions of the application have the same file name, but are located in different folders.

When I use Control Panel in an attempt to associate the newest version of the application with the file-type there are problems.

1) Navigation through the various levels of menu did not change the version of the application called up to handle the file.

2) When I tried to assign a completely different application and then assign the new version of the application, Control Panel hung!

What is the correct procedure to achieve my aim?

ShayMeyer, Nov 18, 2016
  4. Using A New .exe For An Application ?

Hi:

I'm not sure I fully understand your question (because I do not know what you mean by "putting the icon" over the old one), but I will try to answer it.

I think you are saying that you have downloaded and saved on your computer somewhere (perhaps the downloads folder) two different versions of the installer (aka setup file) for a particular program (a desktop application, not a store app)???

If so, then, no, it would not be a good idea to try to merge or drag one onto the other.

The 2 installer files should be kept separate.
    Once you have run the "new" one, it's a good idea to delete the old one.

Most programs assign a unique name to their installers, such as "ProgramX-version1.exe" and "ProgramX-version2.exe"
    So, you can download the new one to the same folder where you have the older one and they will stay separate.
    The attached screen shot shows a snippet from my folder that shows 2 versions of CCleaner, each with its own name.
    I manually update all my programs. So, I often hang onto the "old" version's installer, until I know that the "new" version works OK, in case I need to roll back.

On the other hand, if you are talking about replacing an old version of a file with a new one, then YES, you can do that.
    Some programs just call each version of their setup file the same thing, e.g. "ProgramX.exe".
    In that case, when you try to download a new version to the same destination as the older one, Windows will ask you if you want to REPLACE the old file with the new one.
    You would do just that in order to get rid of the older one and to keep the newer one. (A "safer" strategy would be to first delete the old one and then download the new one, so that you do not have to replace the older file.)

If that is not what you mean, please tell us:
    • What program are you referring to?
    • Can you provide a screen shot of the folder in question?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 18, 2016
  5. ME2
    Me2 Win User
    No. As far as I know, dragging a file (exe or otherwise) over another file will just move the other file's icon.
    A tip, don't delete the old version. Change it's name or save it somewhere else. That way, if the new one doesn't work - you can use the old one.
    HTH

Thema:

Using A New .exe For An Application ?

1. Using A New .exe For An Application ? - Similar Threads - Using exe Application

2. Can't install or download exe application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install or download exe application: like this error is showing after I made some changes in registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-or-download-exe-application/fada6e4f-71e3-4b67-b010-34cd7e67b926
  3. Application install .exe files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application install .exe files: Stupid question.For years of using Windows now, every time I had to switch computers, either because I had to make a reset or because I purchased a new one, I always went online to look for my programs in order to download them again on the new system. Not only did I have to...
  4. Application install .exe files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application install .exe files: Stupid question.For years of using Windows now, every time I had to switch computers, either because I had to make a reset or because I purchased a new one, I always went online to look for my programs in order to download them again on the new system. Not only did I have to...
  5. Application install .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Application Framework host .exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Application Framework host .exe: I'm having some issues with certain apps crashing. Discord, Epic Games Launcher. Apps are glitchy. I have all my gpu drivers updated. When i run Dxdiag.exe it shows APPCRASH and application framework host .exe failing. I have a home built gaming pc. I got steam to run...
  7. Powershell exe application errorr xoc0000142

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Powershell exe application errorr xoc0000142: I cannot install any Microsoft office in my pc. I might uninstall some apps that cannot be, so can you help me how to recover my uninstall apps. thank you...
  8. werfault exe application error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    werfault exe application error: this is a very annoying thing to get it just wont disappear ive disabled windows error reports ive tried a few things the instruction at 0x0000000075C58AA9 REFERENCED MEMORY AT 0x0000000075C58AA9,. THE REQUIRED DATA WAS NOT...
  9. Error (0xc000007b) winx86.exe - Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error (0xc000007b) winx86.exe - Application: so malwarebytes wanted to delete this, and now it keeps spamming me with this error "winx86.exe - Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application" I click OK and it keeps popping up with this 111313
  10. winx86.exe - Application Error (0xc000007b)

in Windows 10 Support
    winx86.exe - Application Error (0xc000007b): so malwarebytes wanted to delete this, and now it keeps spamming me with this error "winx86.exe - Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application" I click OK and it keeps popping up with this 111313