Windows 10: Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version

Discus and support Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; There's a good chance that my computer will need major new parts and I'm afraid that it will not activate when fixes. I would like to use the operation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by socklosk, Aug 30, 2015.

1. socklosk Win User

Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version

There's a good chance that my computer will need major new parts and I'm afraid that it will not activate when fixes. I would like to use the operation system that I already configured to my liking. Can I buy a retail version of Windows 10 and just use that new key to re-activate my already installed OEM version and maintain its retail rating?

:)

socklosk, Aug 30, 2015

2. new build

Either will do, the cheap option being OEM System Builder license. But if you want the ability to transfer to another motherboard or computer, then the full retail version is recommended.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Andre Da Costa, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Upgrade key questions

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Martmcd, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

In which country are you located?

I am asking, because there are countries, e.g. n the European Union, in which hardware bundling is not allowed. Microsoft writes in their EULA that the software would be bundled anyway, obviously hoping that they could fool users or whatever, but this software in fact is not bundled and can be used on any other PC.

Joergi, Aug 30, 2015
  5. socklosk Win User
    I'm in the USA.

Are you saying that my OEM version can be put into a new computer?

socklosk, Aug 30, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, as long as it is for the same version (IE: Pro or home). If you end up with a Windows 10 that does not activate itself, on the activation screen will be a button to change product key - enter the retail key in there for the same version of Windows 10 and it should activate. In response to the other question you raised, in the US, the OEM license is for that one, specific computer only. Microsoft pretty much considers a new motherboard and/or new CPU to be the hardware change that makes a new computer.

NavyLCDR, Aug 30, 2015
  7. AddRAM Win User
    A cpu upgrade or change has nothing to do with activation, it will not affect it at all.

A CPU change/upgrade is just like adding memory or installing a GPU.

The only ridiculus company I`ve ever seen make a claim like that is Dell.

AddRAM, Aug 30, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You have done this and know this for a fact? Or only in theory?

NavyLCDR, Aug 30, 2015
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Many times on many machines, it`s what I do.

The only hting that matters is the motherboard and/or when you put a system on a new drive, but all you have to do is make a phone call to MS and be nice.

AddRAM, Aug 30, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    And hundreds of people have upgraded their hard drives and have not required new activation.

NavyLCDR, Aug 30, 2015
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Yep, that can be done too, probably millions of people *Wink I never said it couldn`t be done or wouldn`t activate, I only said it`s the only time it matters.

It`s hit or miss, you do a clone to a new drive it may activate it may not, you install a new system on a new drive, it may activate with the same oem key, it may not. In either case all you do is make a robo call or talk to someone nicely at MS and explain the situation.

With upgrades from an earlier OS to 10, that`s all different and may not work at all. Apparently the servers keep a record of what was upgraded from what etc. and on what hardware. ( Meaning what motherboard )

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version - Similar Threads - Using OEM version

2. I had oem version of windows 10 after i reinstall windows 10 oem version became to retail...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I had oem version of windows 10 after i reinstall windows 10 oem version became to retail...: I had oem version of windows 10 after i reinstall windows 10 oem version became to retail version Now I want to upgrade my laptop with m.2 nvme ssd and then reinstall windows 10 Activation section is saying Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft...
  3. OEM Versions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM Versions: there are any thing illegal to Microsoft from using oem windows versions.... I will use it to my device but the very low price of the windows makes me hesitant to buy it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-versions/20529ad5-990f-46e5-ba83-afc277c9cf49
  4. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?: Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable. I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying to do an update rollback or repair or recovery through safe mode failed. So I had to reinstall my old windows 7 pro just...
  5. Retail version question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Retail version question: Just bought a retail version of windows 10 pro from Newegg. Is there anyway to know what version or build that my flash drive has on it? submitted by /u/ztbcs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gaaeqd/retail_version_question/
  6. OEm to Retail upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEm to Retail upgrade: i have a notebook that officialy installed windows 10 Home edition in it, with OEM license. so i can not move the windows to other device when this notebook is broken. if i upgrade it to Pro from Microsoft store, then does my Windows license will change to Retail "Full...
  7. Backing up an OEM version to new retail license.

Backing up an OEM version to new retail license.: I built a new computer and bought a new retail version of Windows 10 and installed it on my internal SSD. My old hard drive has an OEM version of Windows with 2 users( me and my alter ego account). Can I just install that hard drive as a secondary drive to extract some files...
  8. Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??: I put this question to Microsoft this week by email: Good morning This complaint pertains to the upgrade options from a full retail version of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. According to the EULA: “4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you...
  9. update to retail version

update to retail version: I dont recall seeing this anywhere; but pardon me if it was posted and I just never noticed; but; will we be able to get a free upgrade to the full retail version of 10 once that becomes available? 17087
  10. Retail version or OEM version

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version or OEM version: Hi Friends, I am thinking of building a new PC on my own. I am a home user only. I will buy all the hardware from a local shop ie motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd etc and then I would like to install a genuine/legal version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on it. But should I buy OEM...