Windows 10: Using an SD card to install?

Discus and support Using an SD card to install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; OK I just made a bootable SD card with Windows 10 Enterprise TP. I made it in the USB card reader on my desktop PC. My laptop will boot from it just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SuiGeneris, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Using an SD card to install?

OK I just made a bootable SD card with Windows 10 Enterprise TP. I made it in the USB card reader on my desktop PC. My laptop will boot from it just like a bootable thumb drive. If I take the SD card out and put it in my laptops built in card reader, nada. It's not listed as a bootable device in the quick boot menu. Being a laptop there isn't much in the way of boot options. Not like you'd see on a desktop PC.

alphanumeric, Nov 13, 2014
  2. Wynona Win User

No not yet. I may just to prove to myself that the SD card is bootable. Doing it that way defeats the purpose. At least that's the way I see it. If I have to put the card in a USB card reader I may as well just use a USB thumb drive. I currently do all my installs from thumb drives. I have just recently bought a couple of USB SD card readers. I bought them so I can prepare SD cards for my Raspberry PI on my desktop PC that doesn't have a card reader. That's my plan anyway. I haven't actually tried one of them yet, it might be time to give it a go though. Sure, it may defeat your purpose, but it might give someone else an option they wouldn't have otherwise. In fact, I'm not sure but I think the OP said he doesn't have a flash drive large enough.

And here I am with so many flash drives, I had several I could donate to a very poor school district for underprivileged kids. They needed them with 4 to 8 GB and I was able to pass a few on.

Wynona, Nov 13, 2014
  3. Wynona Win User
    Yay! That's great, Alpha!

So now, the OP can mark this one solved and you can write up the 'structions for the Tutorial section. *Smile Aren't you glad I know how to delegate? *Dinesh

Wynona, Nov 13, 2014
  4. Using an SD card to install?

No not yet. I may just to prove to myself that the SD card is bootable. Doing it that way defeats the purpose. At least that's the way I see it. If I have to put the card in a USB card reader I may as well just use a USB thumb drive. I currently do all my installs from thumb drives. I have just recently bought a couple of USB SD card readers. I bought them so I can prepare SD cards for my Raspberry PI on my desktop PC that doesn't have a card reader. That's my plan anyway. I haven't actually tried one of them yet, it might be time to give it a go though. Sure, it may defeat your purpose, but it might give someone else an option they wouldn't have otherwise. In fact, I'm not sure but I think the OP said he doesn't have a flash drive large enough.

And here I am with so many flash drives, I had several I could donate to a very poor school district for underprivileged kids. They needed them with 4 to 8 GB and I was able to pass a few on. Yes, well put, I lost sight of the original question.
    lol, I've got 24 or so thumb drives kicking around here. 1's, 2's, 4's, 8's, 16's, 32's and one 64 gig. I've given a few away over the years too.

5. Yay! That's great, Alpha!

So now, the OP can mark this one solved and you can write up the 'structions for the Tutorial section. *Smile Aren't you glad I know how to delegate? *Dinesh I used diskpart, and followed the same method you use to make a bootable thumb drive. Option two here, UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows The other methods will likely work but I have the diskpart commands pretty well memorized so that's what I use. My wife's ACER laptop is fussy about how the drive is prepared for a UEFI install.

6. One thing I noticed is the install from the flash card seemed to be very slow compared to one from a thumb drive. It was a long time before the first selection screen came up. My flash card is a Sandisk Ultra 30 MB/S SD card. USB 2 is good for 35 MB/s so I'm not sure why it seemed so slow. I didn't do a full install though, I only went far enough to verify it was bootable and bailed out. The USB SD card reader says its USB 2.0. That's what's silkscreened on it anyway. They were very inexpensive so maybe they aren't? This is what I bought, SD-MMC Card Reader

7. Wynona Win User
    USB 2.0 is the "old" technology. I have a couple of USB 3.0 slots on this desktop, but both laptops only have USB 2.0 slots. Even with a USB 3.0 card/reader/flash drive, if the machine you're installing on has only a USB 2.0 slot, USB 3.0 will drop back to USB 2.0. Whew, what a keyboard full of USB!

Which all this means is that no matter how new some of the technology is, using it with old technology will slow everything down.

Wynona, Nov 13, 2014
  8. Using an SD card to install?

True, but USB 2.0 is rated for 35 MB/s and my flash card is rated for 30B/s. It shouldn't be all that slower than a USB 2 thumb drive. My guess is the USB card reader is the weak link. It's USB 2 compatible. I haven't used these SD cards all that much so its hard to say without benchmarking how fast or slow they are. My gut feeling was it was slower than a thumb drive. For reads anyway.
    I have 2 USB 3 ports on my laptop, but that's about it. Its USB 2 only on my older desktop PC's. I have one USB 3 thumb drive, a 64 gig Kingston Hyper X. I had intended to use that for a Windows to Go setup but its not a certified drive. That's for another thread though, don't want to drag this one off topic.

9. AddRAM Win User
    I don't have a problem with what the OP is trying to say. He's a junior member which may or may not mean he's not as experienced as you or I.

We're here to help, not to pick apart the questions. I`m here to help to, so the question still stands, Does the OP want to use the SD card to install windows on a system (which I have tested and done) or does he want to install windows on the SD card to boot and run the operationg sysytem from ?

AddRAM, Nov 13, 2014
  10. AddRAM Win User
    He said boot drive, but my interpretation is he meant bootable drive, like a bootable thumb drive. For installation purposes.

I've tried it on my laptop but the internal card reader does not show up in the boot selection list. That`s what I was thinking to, according to his title, but I didn`t want to assume anything. Yes we had a lengthy thread about this already and yes it can be done, I made Windows 7 SD install cards a long time ago that work perfectly.

AddRAM, Nov 13, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Confirming it works just fine if you use a separate USB==>micro SDHC adapter -- the PNY one works just fine -- my BIOS finds it as "Generic USB==>Micro SDHC" and it's just as fast if not faster than a "Classic" Flash drive.

Note though the adapter is tiny - about the size of those micro wireless mice receivers. !!! So you can lose it easily if not kept in the computer.

In UK costs around 4GBP (Inc VAT so if you don't pay UK VAT deduct 20%). The bottom image is just the cover when you remove the adapter (ist image). The Micro sdhc card slides into the Grey part. I use this too for watching some movies - Decent BD rips are about 1.8GB even at 1080p so I can store a few movies on these micro SDHC cards and play them either on a Laptop or Tablet or Phone !!!!.

Great for travelling and watching a few movies without lugging around extra HDD's !!!! or when using company laptops where you can't store / download movies on the laptop's HDD / SSD..

Using an SD card to install? [​IMG]

I have a Linux SUSE KDE system on an 8GB Micro SDHC card which boots just fine too using this PNY adapter.

32 GB micro SDHC card works fine -- also for WINDOWS TO GO system - but for this you are better using an external SSD IMO.

If your BIOS doesn't recognize the device - then NO BOOT. Internal card readers usually aren't recognized by the BIOS but USB devices are and the PNY device obviously has it's own firmware in the device so the BIOS just sees it as a standard USB device which works just fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 18, 2014
  12. CountMike New Member
    Just yesterday I installed Win 8.1 on Lenovo, low end laptop using just SD card thru it's slot. It worked just fine, showed up in BIOS as SD-HDD as a boot option.

CountMike, Nov 28, 2014
  13. Using an SD card to install?

i was wondering if was possible to turn a micro SD card into a bootable drive to be able to boot kali linux from windows and is it possible to partition a micro sd card

LilRodney456, Aug 25, 2016
  14. CountMike New Member
    Don't know about Kali but Mint did work. You can partition SD cards but no guarantee all would be seen.

CountMike, Aug 25, 2016
  15. so if i was to partition my sd card and make that partition bootable via usb would that work?

LilRodney456, Aug 25, 2016
Thema:

Using an SD card to install?

1. Using an SD card to install? - Similar Threads - Using card install

2. Windows Installation using SD Card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Installation using SD Card: Today i was trying to boot my laptop with sd card windows 10 but when i click on custom install it shows no drives to install windows. i tried to install it to my old pc there drives were detected but not in this laptop.it shows load drivers option any way to fix it...
  3. Windows Installation using SD Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Installation using SD Card: Today i was trying to boot my laptop with sd card windows 10 but when i click on custom install it shows no drives to install windows. i tried to install it to my old pc there drives were detected but not in this laptop.it shows load drivers option any way to fix it...
  4. Windows Installation using SD Card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using SD Card in Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using SD Card in Windows: can i use a 2 terabyte sd card in my hp computer [Original Title: sd capacity] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-sd-card-in-windows/47a6af69-5c0e-416f-825f-28d14c38bbea
  6. Using Micro sd card for storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using Micro sd card for storage: Good day to all. I have this hp laptop with a ssd drive with the operating system, All my documents photos etc are on an external ssd in an enclosure connected with USB cable.I'm quite happy with the setup works okay I'd does what I want it to do. Friend of mine has a similar...
  7. Using Micro sd card for storage

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Micro sd card for storage: Good day to all. I have this hp laptop with a ssd drive with the operating system, All my documents photos etc are on an external ssd in an enclosure connected with USB cable.I'm quite happy with the setup works okay I'd does what I want it to do. Friend of mine has a similar...
  8. Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?

Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?: I'm setting up a budget computer lab and I'm in possession of a bunch of windows 10 Mini pcs Z8350, with 2GB Ram and 32GB eMMC ss drives. These little pcs work great to a point, after some quick optimization, and migration of larger files and applications to a SD card D:...
  9. Using SD Card

Using SD Card: Can I use SD card as a recovery device? I don't have flash drive available with 16gb size because im planning on resetting my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/using-sd-card/d77d7bb6-b873-440d-9ec5-d769d2eae873
  10. Installing Windows 10 using SD card

Installing Windows 10 using SD card: Hi all, apologies if this has been asked many times before - I couldn't find anything conclusive, which leads me to believe that it's a non-starter, which I find hard to believe! I have a 32gb tablet running 64 bit windows 8.1, Intel celeron 1.6ghz, 2gb mem ram - it has a...