Windows 10: Using Blank Blu Rays as storage.

Discus and support Using Blank Blu Rays as storage. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good morning everyone. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I have a lot of media on DVD-R and CD-R that I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Outsider418, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Using Blank Blu Rays as storage.

Good morning everyone.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I have a lot of media on DVD-R and CD-R that I want to condense onto blank Blu Ray. I have two PC's both on Windows 10. One has a Blu Ray burner and the other does not. Here comes the stupid question part...if I burn blu Rays as data discs, even if I make it "playable on all PC's", I would still not be able to access that data on a DVD drive, correct? I would probably have to buy a portable Blu Ray drive for my other PC to use the discs I would imagine. I guess the generic "playable on all PC" message is throwing me off. I just wanted some validation before I buy a new Blu Ray drive.

Thanks for your help.

:)

Outsider418, Oct 8, 2017
  2. FG Miller Win User
    FG Miller, Oct 8, 2017
  3. My Samsung Blu Ray player not detected by Windows 10

In order to read and play blu-ray disc, choosing a great blu-ray drive is the first and import thing. For software, i use UFUWare Blu-ray Player.

AkerloganWhit, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Winuser Win User

Using Blank Blu Rays as storage.

A DVD drive will not read Blu-ray disc. You would need a Blu-ray drive. Why Blu-ray? Portable HDDs are very affordable.

Winuser, Oct 8, 2017
  5. I figured as much, I wanted to be sure just in case I was missing something.

I'm a little worrisome. I have two 2TB HDD's, but I wanted a hard copy as a backup in case those hard drives should fail.

Thanks for your help.

Outsider418, Oct 8, 2017
  6. Winuser Win User
    For backups I would recommend external usb drives and the free version of Macrium Reflect. Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Winuser, Oct 8, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    You are correct, a DVD drive will not read Blu Ray.
    Optical Drives are generally downwards compatible, but not upwards, as they don't have the hardware required a shorter wavelength blue laser diode and optics.

In general I prefer DVDs for backups as the active layer is midway in the disk.
    In a CD it's near the label side, in a Blu Ray near to the reading side.
    I have had problems with labelled CDs affecting the active layer, even in manufactured disks.
    Optical disc - Wikipedia

Very wise to use another storage medium.

Helmut, Oct 8, 2017
  8. bobkn Win User

BluRay disks have capacities of 25GB for single layer, 50 for double layer. Neither are a good match to backing up 2TB hard drives.

That's also true of the BDXL disks, with a 100GB capacity.

If you just want to preserve moderate amounts of data, BDs may make sense.

If there's a robust, inexpensive backup medium for terabyte drives, I don't know of it. An external HD is the most practical solution, but external drives are also subject to failure. The point is to reduce the probability of data loss to a low value.

bobkn, Oct 8, 2017
  9. Think of those discs as archival, and not as storage. For what you want, an external drive would be a much better option. This way, you can maintain current backups.

DeaconFrost, Oct 8, 2017
  10. Just to be clear, I don't plan on backing up my HDD's with Blu Rays. Most of that stuff I could replace, I just wanted to archive the stuff that I cannot replace easily like digital photographs, important documents, home video, etc. Hard drives do tend to fail, which is why I want to have that extra layer of protection for the more sensitive stuff.

Thanks for the advice everyone, always appreciated *Smile

Outsider418, Oct 8, 2017
  11. In that case, archival media is what you want. My wife does a lot of digital photography. We have the photos stored on a NAS locally, and on a Zenfolio account. I also have her burn each years photos to a Blu-Ray disc as yet another method of keeping them safe.

DeaconFrost, Oct 8, 2017
  12. If the information your backing up or archiving, is irreplaceable, best to have multiple backups in case a failure. If you maintain that level, you should be able to keep that data forever. Also you need to consider where to store these backups/archives. Do not store them together, make sure one of them is in a secure location some wheres else.

I'm one that believes that hard drives are more reliable than any optical media. Both will degrade over time, but optical is more sensitive to the environment that its stored in. Where as Magnetic recording media can be refreshed for almost forever. With multiple backups, your chances of both hard drives failing at the same time are slim.

storageman, Oct 8, 2017
  13. bobkn Win User

I have never used them, but if you're serious about archiving, the mdisc might be worth consideration.

The claimed lifetime of the medium is centuries.

You may need a new burner to create them. I think they can be read on ordinary drives, though.

bobkn, Oct 9, 2017
  14. Quexos Win User
    From what I've read, most if not all bluray BD-R disks are unreliable at best and suffer from "data fade" meaning you burn them and they seem fine, but go to recover data from them x amount of time later and they appear blank, corrupt, whatever. I've even had that happen with DVD-R disks before, after about a year, but I hear BD-R is even worse. I would not trust them for any long term storage. Don't know about M-disk.

Quexos, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Blank Blu Rays as storage. - Similar Threads - Using Blank Blu

2. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  3. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  4. Blu Ray Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blu Ray Software: My DVD/CD player/recorder is acting up so decided to get a new one for my pc. Price for an 'ordinary' one 48x DVD/CD Write/Re write etc etc is 17.99. But if I want a blu ray one its 79.99 cheapest. But when I read the reviews, that buyers are annoyed because they have to buy...
  5. Cannot Write a Blu-Ray Image to a Blu-Ray drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Write a Blu-Ray Image to a Blu-Ray drive.: I created a Blu-Ray image in ISO format. I then attempted to burn it to a Blu-Ray disk. First, I tried using a BD-RE and when I got an incompatible media error, I tried a standard BD-R. - The ISO size was well within the capacity of the disks I was attempting to write them...
  6. Burning Blu Ray

Burning Blu Ray: Hi, I was just wondering if in windows 10 you have to buy an external Blu Ray writer to be able to burn videos to a blank Blu ray disc? I have read this article https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-burn-cds-dvds-blu-ray-discs-windows/ and many others and am...
  7. How to Play Blu-ray on Windows 10 with U2USoft Blu-ray Player?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Play Blu-ray on Windows 10 with U2USoft Blu-ray Player?: Microsoft just announced the newest version of Windows. It's called Windows 10. Yes, there's no Windows 9 — Microsoft has decided to skip a digit in search of the perfect name. More importantly, Windows 10 will be a single operating system that finally spans all of...
  8. Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software: Does anyone know if ther3e is any Microsoft software that will run a Blu-ray disk? My computer will run regular DVD's but not the Blu-ray disks. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks...
  9. DVD blu ray drive

DVD blu ray drive: 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW This is disgustingly slow when picking up CD,s dvds, and then asking me what I want to do with it. When I click on setup.exe for example, it takes about 30-40 seconds to 'wind up' and run. It must be the drivers. Its not win 10,...
  10. blu ray problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    blu ray problem: Every time the latest build is installed my blu-ray (films) player stops working, I get an on screen message in cyber link saying my Graphics card is incompatible. After restoring build 16199 all is o/k again. Tried latest Drivers from AMD.I have tried BD addvisor everything...