Windows 10: Using desktop to file things

Discus and support Using desktop to file things in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wonder if there is a feature or app or anything that will allow me to organize my desktop folders into categories. Right now, I do this semi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joannsmotherman, May 18, 2016.

1. Using desktop to file things

I wonder if there is a feature or app or anything that will allow me to organize my desktop folders into categories. Right now, I do this semi manually, I have a corner where I put all my documents that are waiting on info from a client; another area of my desktop where I put all the folders of projects that I am currently working on; and so on. I'd love to be able to label these areas and keep the folders from moving out of their areas. Is anything like this available anywhere?

:)

joannsmotherman, May 18, 2016
  2. JJRR251 Win User

Windows Explorer desktop.

I use windows explorer to go to C:\Users\User\Desktop but the files there do no match my actual desktop, that folder is missing some files. How do I fix this so my C:\Users\user\Desktop and actual desktop match, and can therefore delete things from the
    desktop using windows explorer.

JJRR251, May 18, 2016
  3. Desktop USB mouse cursor attaches to things when I pass over them in Windows 10.

Hi Donna,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I highly appreciate your efforts and time.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Which is the browser, are you using to browse?
    • What happens when you try to play games?

It could be due to incorrect settings or missing updates or damaged drivers.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Try to run Hardware Troubleshooter. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

a. Press Windows Logo Key+X then click on Search screen.

b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting

c. In the new window, click View all on the left pane.

d. In the list of options, click on Hardware and devices.

e. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try with a different browser and check.

For Microsoft Office Excel, then you need to post the query on Office forum.

Office - Microsoft Community

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 18, 2016
  4. Using desktop to file things

I'm not sure of a specific app but you could group the folder shortcuts in your start menu as an alternative.
    Although I'd imagine there has got to be some kind of app that can do exactly that

griffinballs, May 18, 2016
  5. badrobot Win User
    badrobot, May 18, 2016
  6. Badrobot, I use my desktop to store documents and folders because it is a method that has proved very helpful in maintaining organization. I also keep a cork board next to my desk with information that I want to see rather than search for. I use the library features to store information, but I do not always want to store the information. Think of it like a stack-able letter tray on a physical desktop, or a desktop file holder right next to the full filing cabinet.

joannsmotherman, May 19, 2016
  7. badrobot Win User
    I thought you said you were looking for something but it seems that you don't wanna go away from desktop. The best thing you can do there is just to create folders.

Even if there's anything better than Library folders, it's not gonna be in desktop.

badrobot, May 19, 2016
  8. meebers Win User

Using desktop to file things

I do something similar, just make a folder on the desktop, name it accordingly and each and every file for that project/subject goes to and comes from that folder until the project is done and then it gets moved to my storage drive. Sometimes I might have 15 spread sheets going and multiple instances of Excel open. *Huh

meebers, May 19, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, May 19, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    "Fences" are pretty versatile and they can be hidden with a double click on the desktop.

Using desktop to file things [​IMG]

Edwin, May 19, 2016
  11. Fences look very promising. Thanks.

joannsmotherman, May 19, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Fences is now v3 and reported to be Win 10 compatible.

However, you are strongly advised not to put critical data on your desktop, and certainly if it is left on C:
    If you really need to use your desktop for critical data, I would recommend you relocate it to preferably a drive or at least a partition other than that where your OS is installed.

Some people have had major issues in discovering the loss of their only copy of family photos etc after a major Win 10 upgrade.

You would be better to simply put shortcuts there- and keep your data on another disk or partition.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Using desktop to file things

1. Using desktop to file things - Similar Threads - Using desktop file

2. The position of the things on desktop doesn't get saved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The position of the things on desktop doesn't get saved: The position of the things on desktop doesn't get saved so when i rearrange them and restart my pc they get to their old position https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-position-of-the-things-on-desktop-doesnt-get/550373db-8c1b-4b39-a930-3b580daa8776
  3. W10 desktop doing weird things to icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 desktop doing weird things to icons: My old W10 tower locked up again. It's been doing that recently, a hint I need a new computer.When I powered it off and turned it back on, it moved the desktop icons from the left side of my center, primary, monitor, to the right side of the left monitor. I tried the old...
  4. My laptop is deletinng things in my desktop

My laptop is deletinng things in my desktop: Got a new laptop, I started and it had a bunch of folders of my current desktop, when ever I try to remove something in my laptop it also get deleted in my desktop. I need this to stop, I use them for different things. Someone help me please. When I started the laptop I...
  5. I used to use File Explorer to move a file from my desktop to a desktop subfolder. Since...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I used to use File Explorer to move a file from my desktop to a desktop subfolder. Since...: I used to use File Explorer to move a file from my desktop to a desktop subfolder. Since the last update of Windows 11, I can't seem to do that. Suggestions?...
  6. I used to use File Explorer to move a file from my desktop to a desktop subfolder. Since...

I used to use File Explorer to move a file from my desktop to a desktop subfolder. Since...: I used to use File Explorer to move a file from my desktop to a desktop subfolder. Since the last update of Windows 11, I can't seem to do that. Suggestions?...
  7. what things are best to use for a vpn

what things are best to use for a vpn: um I really want to know how to set up a very good VPN because I don't know how to and I have tried many times so I want to know how to set up the best VPN possible....
  8. Open files with thing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open files with thing: So I was trying to make my own link cursor by opening one of the cursors in paint.net. Then I hadn't realised that I accidentally left the box ticked that said "Always use this app to open .cur files" So because of this, now all the files are "paint" files After paint.net...
  9. Remote Desktop USB cable thing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop USB cable thing?: Is there such a thing or is it all network based? Need a way to control mini win10 server, that or just get a KVM with HDMI LOL mmm I wonder if the USB 3.0 models are sub 100 these days... 76099
  10. things crashing to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    things crashing to desktop: heya i'm wondering if i play gta 5 it goes from time to time back to desktop if i watch anime in full screen you see some time your taskbar popping up in mean while you didn't do anything like moving the mouse tried reinstalling everything doesn't seem to work anyone...