Windows 10: Using Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition

Discus and support Using Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, so a few days ago my windows 10 crashed so I had to format and reinstall windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10, a hard work to do. So I started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lievore, Mar 5, 2016.

1. lievore Win User

Using Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition

Hi guys, so a few days ago my windows 10 crashed so I had to format and reinstall windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10, a hard work to do. So I started to search about how to capture the image of C: where the windows 10 is running and I found Dism. Now I have a lot of questions about it, let me start with the capture of C: as an image.wim.

1- Does dism Capture-Image works for windows 10?

I used the following comand to capture a image:
    Code: dism.exe /Capture-Image /ImageFileUsing Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition :D:\Image_of_Windows_10.wim /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:Windows_10 /compress fast[/quote] It generated a .WIM file with 16 Gb.

2- Is FAST option better than MAXIMUM? Or should I use NONE instead?

3- Now with the image of the c: stored in hard drive, if my windows 10 crashes, is this how I should recover it? applying the image file .WIM or should I format the partition first?

Code: dism /Apply-Image /ImageFileUsing Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition :D:\Image_of_Windows_10.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\[/quote] 4- After using DISM to apply will windows 10 boot and work like a charm?

5- Do I have to configure the boot with BCDBOOT?

Code: C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot C:\Windows[/quote] That's all folks, please someone could be kind and answer me?

:)

lievore, Mar 5, 2016
  2. Trybird Win User

Do I have to reinstall Windows 10 after changing SSD?

Enter into Windows Recovery Environment, then in there use
    dism /Capture-Image command to capture the images of your old hard disk's partitions, then apply these images files (.wim) to your new hard disk's partitions, namely use
    dism /Apply-Image command to apply the images to your new hard disk's partitions.

Give an applied example as follows, pls see my reply in there:

Move Windows 10 from a HDD to an SSD

In detail, also please refer to:

Don't worry about being DISMissed, hurry up to use DISM backing up your partitions.

Add:

Many times I already had used this way (dism /Capture-Image & dism /Apply-Image) to replace the hard disk(s), also had just replaced the hard disk on yesterday, after replaced hard disk and then entered the system (my system is Windows 10 Home OEM edition
    1511), right-click on Start button and then click on System, the result displayed:
    Windows system is already automatically activated.

Trybird, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Trybird Win User
    Transferring Windows 10 from a HDD to a SSD in the same computer

Enter into Windows Recovery Environment, then in there use
    dism /Capture-Image command to capture the images of your old hard disk's partitions, then apply these images files (.wim) to your new hard disk's partitions, namely use
    dism /Apply-Image command to apply the images to your new hard disk's partitions.

Give an applied example as follows, pls see my reply in there:

Move Windows 10 from a HDD to an SSD

In detail, also please refer to:

Don't worry about being DISMissed, hurry up to use DISM backing
    up your partitions.

Add:

Many times I already had used this way (dism /Capture-Image & dism /Apply-Image) to replace the hard disk(s), also had just replaced the hard disk on yesterday, after replaced hard disk and then entered the system (my system is Windows 10 Home OEM edition
    1511), right-click on Start button and then click on System, the result displayed:
    Windows system is already automatically activated.

Trybird, Mar 5, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Here's the main question...
    3- Now with the image of the c: stored in hard drive, if my windows 10 crashes, is this how I should recover it? applying the image file .WIM or should I format the partition first?

If your Windows 10 crashes, how do you plan on running the DISM command to restore it?

A much easier solution highly recommended by myself and a lot of others on this forum is to use Macrium Refelct Free to create a backup image and a rescue USB/DVD.
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  5. lievore Win User
    To capture the image I had to use a bootable cd, so to apply it I would use the same cd, an instalation mídia of the Windows.

And I'll put the .wim image at the partition RECOVERY, the one the came with the Dell notebook. So I could use it in the future and I will burn it too

lievore, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition - Similar Threads - Using Dism capture

2. Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors: Hello everyone,Im trying to apply install.wim to partition x: which is ntfs. But nothing happens. This is the command Ive used and the log entries.DISM DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism /apply-image:C:\Users\Musa.Semi\Desktop\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:X:\DISM DISM...
  3. Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors: Hello everyone,Im trying to apply install.wim to partition x: which is ntfs. But nothing happens. This is the command Ive used and the log entries.DISM DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism /apply-image:C:\Users\Musa.Semi\Desktop\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:X:\DISM DISM...
  4. Capture image with DISM and /verify error 80

in Windows 10 Support
    Capture image with DISM and /verify error 80: Hi folks using DISM command to capture a windows WIM image from my current system using DISM from latest Windows build ISO it errors out if you run this command Please folks how do we get rid of those damn Smiley's when typing code !!!!!!!!! (D is current Windows disk, C is...
  5. Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command...: Hello I am trying to create a .wim or .iso file for use with practice with learning for college with making deployable images for windows 10. Can anyone help? I keep getting stuck with the DISM command line after. There is a dism /online command switch that would utilize...
  6. Access Denied when using DISM to apply image

Access Denied when using DISM to apply image: I am trying to migrate to a larger M.2 Drive in my Dell Laptop. I created a 64Bit WinPE USB drive, booted to that drive, used DISM to capture WIM files of the smaller M.2 drive. I then swapped out the M.2 Drive, booted to the USB drive, Created the partitions, tried to...
  7. Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM: Hi, I have the following task to complete; I would like to capture an image from a machine running Windows 10 enterprise using WinPE and DISM and then using Windows Server 2012 R2, PXE boot the captured image onto 10 other machines on the network. I would not like to use...
  8. DISM capture and apply WIN10 image failure. Need guidance.

in Windows 10 Support
    DISM capture and apply WIN10 image failure. Need guidance.: I've hit quite a snag here.I booted from WINPE5.1 and ran DISM and captured a Windows 10 golden instance image and the UEFI System Partition (what I traditionally knew as system partition) saved to external hard drive. It seems that I did not image the Microsost Reserved...
  9. creating usb pen for dism apply-image

creating usb pen for dism apply-image: I have managed to create a USB pen drive to apply WIM images using the DISM Apply-image command in 64bit so I know it can be done but any ideas how to create a pen to apply 32bit WIM images 24718
  10. Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install: How to: Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install [img] Information The most boring part of computing is waiting operating system to be installed. Installing Windows 10 can take anything from 10 to over 30 minutes (depending on hardware). The low end i5...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. capture and apply windows images

2. dism c drive partition backup

3. dism show active partitions

4. dism capture image windows 10 acces denied erreur 5,
  5. dism and partitions,
  6. dism /capture-image windows 10 gpt partitions,
  7. how to capture the windows partition,
  8. dism capture-image with system partition,
  9. dism handle is invalid windows 10,
  10. use dism to apply image,
  11. capture image dism,