Windows 10: Using File Explorer

Discus and support Using File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 7 when I open Windows Explorer it comes up with a very simple window that has very basic tabs, Organise, Share With Burn, New Folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by boba4780, Aug 26, 2015.

1. boba4780 Win User

Using File Explorer

In Windows 7 when I open Windows Explorer it comes up with a very simple window that has very basic tabs, Organise, Share With Burn, New Folder. Organise then has a very basic drop down menu.

When I use File Explorer in Windows 10 it comes up with a much more detailed menu that offers four menus, File, Home, Share, View.

Is there any way I can use a window similar to Windows 7? I'm sure it is there somewhere as when you attempt to open a file in an application a window identical to what I want comes up to allow the selection.

Thanks,
    Bob Andrew

:)

boba4780, Aug 26, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Win 10 - File Explorer Crashes

Hello MSFT Support,

Where have you gone?...this is a major issue for many loyal customers but as you can tell frustration is setting in with many in the lack of direction from Microsoft. I feel like we are trying various home remedies when the problem is with Microsoft File
    Explorer which we rely on being stable and available.

Having us go to SafeMode is not a solution, also you could create more problems for customers in that BitLocker may come into play, which doesn't appear to be easy way to suspend this in non-Enterprise versions of Win10 before rebooting into SafeMode.

Please give us some direction or when the fix will be implemented?

It would be a real shame if you lose loyal customers to Apple or Google but lack of leadership here may steer many in that direction.

Best Regards!

File Explorer Crash Headaches, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Using File Explorer

if you click on Home in the File Explorer it has pretty much what you describe the Share Tab has the Burn option in it as well as adding to zip and other things its all there just less cluttered

icpwolverine, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Hello boba4780 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The Explorer "View>Options>View tab" is the place to be as well as the first screen to check off or don't the "show all folders" and "show all libraries" boxes as well as in the view tab checking or unchecking the same things you would see in 7. Only now in the top portion of the first screen you see the option for Quick Access or This PC to be opened to when going to click on File Explorer in the Start menu or the explorer icon pinned to the main task bar.

What you find different of course is now there are several folders placed above the drives were are now all wrapped up together no longer seeing optical and removeable separate from the hard drives until some changes are seen to in order to end up having an explorer window that looks more like this.

Using File Explorer [​IMG]

First you need to change the open to Quick Access to This PC and then follow the steps in a few guides found in the tutorial section as well as the option to unpin as well as pin folders of your choice into the Quick Access section at the top that can left closed up. For the listings of all of the File and Folder Settings guides simply go to... Windows 10 Tutorials[1]=File%20Folder%20Settings

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  6. boba4780 Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried what you suggested but didn't get the result. I must have some incorrect settings. Now I know it is available I can play around in the area a bit.

Bob Andrew

boba4780, Aug 26, 2015
  7. boba4780 Win User
    Thanks for your advice. I'll now work through all your suggestions. I didn't move to Windows 8 so any changes there passed me by.

Bob Andrew

boba4780, Aug 26, 2015
  8. Using File Explorer

I didn't either so don't feel alone in that regard! I knew what MS was bringing in with 8 would take a few versions to work out and 10 came up looking much better from Tech Preview on! *Biggrin

The restructuring of Explorer however took a bit over a week or so. A few other threads around besides the guides get into how to make a few changes to the overall appearance. The removal of the six folders above the drives was a relief over lightling the load found in the Quick Access where I swapped folders out! The Control Panel and other system items seen there are set by checking of the "all folders" box on the first screen of the options. I prefer to leave those for ready access over pinning CP shortcuts onto the task bar while having an addon tool bar there for the same.

Night Hawk, Aug 26, 2015
  9. boba4780 Win User
    Thanks to both members for their help and comments. I was very happy with Windows 7 but didn't like Windows 8 at all, so I didn't upgrade. I was using W7 on two laptops. However with Windows 10 now on one laptop I'm very happy with it as it seems to be a refined W7. Provided an accounting program I use works O.K. I'll move the other one over fairly quickly.

boba4780, Aug 26, 2015
  10. Well this is where 8 should have been as a progression from what 7 brought in with it! 8 was a big disappointment to a good number of people in how MS simply stripped out the familiar desktop in favor of the RT type gui for tablet leaving everyone looking for 3rd party Start menu apps and some other things.

What 10 does is see the refined dual platform work for the desktop as well as for mobile which I knew would take a few versions of Windows to realize. That you can call actual progress! This is also why you will notice that the tiles are still there in the Start but you can resize them with a right click to see the space reduced.

Above is the default size.

A fast right click on any tile will reveal at least the small and medium options while some like Edge the new web browser also see the wide and large options. But just think of how many pinned items you can see without taking up the entire desktop!

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Using File Explorer

1. Using File Explorer - Similar Threads - Using File Explorer

2. Taskbar and File Explorer Continues to Crash Whilst Using File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar and File Explorer Continues to Crash Whilst Using File Explorer: My taskbar keeps resetting and my File Explorer keeps crashing while I am using File Explorer for trying to open games. I've already tried restarting my computer twice, I've run a command prompt already, and I've even tried resetting my graphics driver, yet it continues to...
  3. How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?: Hi, I do get a lot of downloads which are .CAB files, the majority is obviously .ZIP, although I heard .CAB is just like .ZIP, but how do I use a cab file in file explorer? Like how do I extract files from it? I tried to search in the internet for like 30 minutes already, but...
  4. How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?: Hi, I do get a lot of downloads which are .CAB files, the majority is obviously .ZIP, although I heard .CAB is just like .ZIP, but how do I use a cab file in file explorer? Like how do I extract files from it? I tried to search in the internet for like 30 minutes already, but...
  5. How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Report using File Explorer

Report using File Explorer: Hello, I would like to know how to produce a report using data from the File Explorer. For example, how many times a folder has being modified and when, who created, when, etc.My intention is to show how much work is done by each clients, which corresponds to an singular...
  7. Using Tabs in File Explorer

Using Tabs in File Explorer: Is there a way to use tabs in Windows 10 File Explorer? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-tabs-in-file-explorer/1081bc33-8cfa-42ed-8bfc-ccd06edef6d5
  8. Searching specific files using File Explorer

Searching specific files using File Explorer: a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages. Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and...
  9. Can’t upload files using file explorer

Can’t upload files using file explorer: I’m trying to upload a file to file.io but whenever I try to select the file in the file explorer that pops up, it literally opens the file instead of selecting the file and then uploading it....
  10. How to use # file order in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use # file order in file explorer: Hello I managed to view (#) column in file explorer but I don't know how to assign values to it. [img] 89590