Windows 10: Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop

Discus and support Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I sometimes go a day or 2 without turning on my laptop or having an external USB connected. As a result, if i used the new windows 10 File History... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by PencilBoy99, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop

I sometimes go a day or 2 without turning on my laptop or having an external USB connected. As a result, if i used the new windows 10 File History backup, windows starts backing up everything to %APPDATA%, so I end up with a giant bloat of copies of my own stuff. File History I think is limited to backing up every 12 hours or something at most

Is there any way of getting File History not to do this and just wait until I attach the USB drive?

:)

PencilBoy99, Aug 10, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Losing internet connection intermittently only on laptop

Hi Lindamartin,

For us to know the reason why your laptop is losing internet connection intermittently and how to fix it, we would like to know more information:

• Have you tried updating your drivers?
    • Did you receive any error messages?

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below and check if it will solve the issue:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Internet Connections.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

We suggest you to update the Network adapters driver from the Device Manager.

Follow the below steps:

1. Right click on Start button and click on
    Device Manager.

2. Expand the
    Network adapters driver from the list.

3. Right click on the driver and click on
    Update driver Software.

Post us back with the result.

Remon Ont, Aug 10, 2018
  3. file history

thunderfoot7, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop

File History Physical Connected But Not Electronic

Hello Candun,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that File History is not recognizing the external USB expansion drive, even though the drive had worked initially and it was behaving normally in File Explorer.

This issue may occur if any of the backup in the drive you are backing up is corrupted or the library is corrupted.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

1. Open File History and click Select Drive. Select a different drive other than the one that is failing to be recognized. you can consider adding an extra internal HDD to your PC in this situation.

2. Go to the external USB drive that wasn't being recognised, find the File History folder and rename it to "File History.old" or delete it.

3. Go to your C:\Users\your user folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, find the File History folder and rename it "File History.old" or delete it.

4. Re-open File History, click Select drive and select the original USB drive that was not being recognised. The drive should now set up normally and start operating.

5. Delete the File History folder on the drive used in step 1

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Also refer: What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Note: Applies to windows 10)

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop

1. Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop - Similar Threads - Using File History

2. How to use file history?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to use file history?: My disk space has been full recently and I have decided to move my files to an external hard drive. Now my old way was to manually drag the documents to it and delete the old ones. But now I have heard about file history and I would like to know more about it, I already...
  3. Use File History for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  4. file history not connected error

file history not connected error: I had a tech at a space on the hardrive to accomodate files...as well as create a destination folder. the error message went away. However the space or folder space is very small compared to the file storage needed. It was functioning .until I deleted the volume and tried to...
  5. Using File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using File History: I installed a Solid State Drive and transferred the operating system to it. However I had to purchase a new license for Windows 10 Home as I couldn't use my old product key as it was for Windows 8 and I didn't have the order number which Microsoft required. Before that I...
  6. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  7. Intermittent connection to internet on laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent connection to internet on laptop?: I have a laptop that has just had a clean install of Windows 10 1909, it connects to the internet via a router that runs on my desktop PC, the laptop runs wireless. I have 2 other laptops that are also wireless and work without a problem, but this laptop connects and runs for...
  8. File History Drive not connected

File History Drive not connected: I keep getting this message: Reconnect your drive Your File History drive was disconnected for too long. Reconnect it and then tap or click to keep saving copies of your files. But the drive is connected and recognised by my computer. I have disconnected and...
  9. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  10. Using File History

Using File History: I thought I had set File History to continuously backup my files and delete the oldest ones as space became limited on the backup device... But recently when trying to restore the previous version of a file, it wouldn't do so... and on further examination of the settings I...