Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop

Discus and support Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I sometimes go a day or 2 without turning on my laptop or having an external USB connected. As a result, if i used the new windows 10 File History... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by PencilBoy99, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:33 PM.

1. PencilBoy99 Win User

I sometimes go a day or 2 without turning on my laptop or having an external USB connected. As a result, if i used the new windows 10 File History backup, windows starts backing up everything to %APPDATA%, so I end up with a giant bloat of copies of my own stuff. File History I think is limited to backing up every 12 hours or something at most

Is there any way of getting File History not to do this and just wait until I attach the USB drive?

:)

2. Remon Ont Win User

Losing internet connection intermittently only on laptop

Hi Lindamartin,

For us to know the reason why your laptop is losing internet connection intermittently and how to fix it, we would like to know more information:

• Have you tried updating your drivers?
    • Did you receive any error messages?

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below and check if it will solve the issue:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Internet Connections.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

We suggest you to update the Network adapters driver from the Device Manager.

Follow the below steps:

1. Right click on Start button and click on
    Device Manager.

2. Expand the
    Network adapters driver from the list.

3. Right click on the driver and click on
    Update driver Software.

Post us back with the result.

3. thunderfoot7 Win User
    file history

thunderfoot7, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:35 PM
  4. Sayan_Ghosh Win User

File History Physical Connected But Not Electronic

Hello Candun,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that File History is not recognizing the external USB expansion drive, even though the drive had worked initially and it was behaving normally in File Explorer.

This issue may occur if any of the backup in the drive you are backing up is corrupted or the library is corrupted.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

1. Open File History and click Select Drive. Select a different drive other than the one that is failing to be recognized. you can consider adding an extra internal HDD to your PC in this situation.

2. Go to the external USB drive that wasn't being recognised, find the File History folder and rename it to "File History.old" or delete it.

3. Go to your C:\Users\your user folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, find the File History folder and rename it "File History.old" or delete it.

4. Re-open File History, click Select drive and select the original USB drive that was not being recognised. The drive should now set up normally and start operating.

5. Delete the File History folder on the drive used in step 1

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Also refer: What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Note: Applies to windows 10)

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Thema:

1. Using File History with Intermittent Connection on Laptop - Similar Threads - Using File History

2. My laptop freezes and taskbar icons refreshing randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop freezes and taskbar icons refreshing randomly: I bought my laptop 2 months ago and this issue started couple of days ago. My laptop have a ssd driver. Most of the time I use my laptop for searching on the internet. When I try to open a new tab or open the task manager it freezes and sometimes the icons at taskbar...
  3. My laptop accessories.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop accessories.: I doubt that shopkeeper stole my laptop accessories in my laptop ,like ram,ic, processor,because my laptop seal is broken, so how to fine solutions of this problems,plea pl help....
  4. Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives: [img] Why can't I copy the 5.7GB ISO file to either of these three USB Flash Drives? Please see attachment. Thanks. 116077
  5. Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss

Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss: I tried to add a monitor (Benq GL2460) to my Lenovo Yoga 310 (Win10) but when I connect it (HDMI cable), I lose the fill screen display and can't access anything (i.e when I try to open an application or service it won't display on my laptop screen or added monitor). When I...
  6. How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?: Let me be clear, I'm asking about the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I am not asking about how to change the Quick Access page. I am not asking about how to remove items or add items or customize items in the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I'm asking how to remove it. I can remove all the...
  7. files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    files: I don't know how to do anything with the file can you explain how to use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/files/abbd734c-8b45-468b-8019-b5b89a600f2c
  8. Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected...: Hi, This is the first time I encounter this problem. In ASUS Utility BIOS - EZ Mode, the storage/hdd is not detected from any Serial ATA Port, but Flashdrives are detected from USB Port. So I tried to use windows 10 USB installation media. I Successfully booted from a...
  9. My printer and computer are connected and prints fine, but how can I get the scanning...

My printer and computer are connected and prints fine, but how can I get the scanning...: My printer is a 3-way and the Scanner is listed on my computer with the printer. When I try to scan a page, it states the 2 items are not connected and can't work. My computer's name is listed on the printer so I don't see what the problem is....
  10. Sound Echo using windows10

Sound Echo using windows10: I'm using windows 10. I don't know how to fix the echo/noise in my laptop, when I unplug the microphone, there is this irritating noise and there is also a time that noise occurs even plugging the microphone. In the sound setting,there is no equilizer/echo etc unlike when I...