Windows 10: Using hosts file to block sites: Use 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 ?

Discus and support Using hosts file to block sites: Use 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've always blocked domain names in the hosts file by assigning the IP as 127.0.0.1 But I've been reading about the use of 0.0.0.0 instead. What's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by margrave55, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Using hosts file to block sites: Use 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 ?

I've always blocked domain names in the hosts file by assigning the IP as 127.0.0.1
    But I've been reading about the use of 0.0.0.0 instead.
    What's the difference? Is one better than the other?

:)

margrave55, Jan 1, 2018
  2. Moods18 Win User

Cortana says that i am offline. How do i go online

For those using a large hosts file, the problem may lie there.

I was having the same problem with Cortana and multiple Microsoft sites. I have a hosts file that I had compiled from several online sources to block ads and tracking. I cut it down and used just the content from MVPS and SomeoneWhoCares, and Cortana now
    works.

So it looks like there were some entries in the other sections of it that were blocking sites needed for my Microsoft account. I also changed from using 127.0.0.1 to using 0.0.0.0.

I hope that helps some of you

Moods18, Jan 1, 2018
  3. What to do with containertag.js from vap1sjc1.lijit.com?

This JavaScript isn't disabling Adblock, but it's slipping past the block list somehow, perhaps by using slightly different URLs.

If you really want to block this script, you can block specific sites with your HOSTS file. I find this to be no trouble at all. Not everyone agrees.

If you go this route you don't enter the entire URL

(containertag.js from vap1sjc1.lijit.com) just enter

127.0.0.1 <space>lijit.com

Block websites by editing the HOSTS file

How to Block Websites By Editing the HOSTS File in Windows

The HOSTS file and what it can do for you

The Hosts File and what it can do for you

HOSTS File- Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

[Edit, 4 days after original post]

If this JavaScript message appears on a frequently used site, placing the site in Restricted Sites (if default settings are still being used) will disable scripting and block the message.

Note: Blocking JavaScript in this way might break desirable features of the site.

Restricted Sites: Internet Options> Security> Restricted Sites.

Don

Don Varnau, Jan 1, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Using hosts file to block sites: Use 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 ?

dalchina, Jan 1, 2018
  5. Barman58 Win User
    Technically 0.0.0.0 is the network segment broadcast address and 127.0.0.1 is the current device

It is usual to use 127.0.0.1 as this routs packets (your data ), to a specific device (your current device) where it will be basically ignored

Using 0.0.0.0 will generally send the data to all devices on the local segment which would also normally be rejected, but would greatly increase the potential traffic on the local network if there were more that a single device on the network.

As the 0.0.0.0 address has an ambiguous usage it can act in various ways depending on the hardware in use

127.0.0.1 is always a specific address so should be used as a loop-back address to kill potentially problem data packets)

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using hosts file to block sites: Use 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 ?

1. Using hosts file to block sites: Use 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 ? - Similar Threads - Using hosts file

2. What's the use of disk 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the use of disk 0: I've searched for so long but still haven't got an answer, my disk 0 has 1tb unallocated space but I can't use it, I tried to new simple volume it but it was just grey, I know nothing about computers but I'm supposed to have 1tb but only have 118gb usable storage, what's the...
  3. What's the use of disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the use of disk 0: I've searched for so long but still haven't got an answer, my disk 0 has 1tb unallocated space but I can't use it, I tried to new simple volume it but it was just grey, I know nothing about computers but I'm supposed to have 1tb but only have 118gb usable storage, what's the...
  4. Event 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event 0: Below is the full error.This happened when i played OW2 when it first released. Used DDU and reinstalled graphics driver, kinda resolved the issue.However now i tried playing The Last Descendant new game on Steam this happened again.Both problem happen after i close the...
  5. Event 0

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event 0: Below is the full error.This happened when i played OW2 when it first released. Used DDU and reinstalled graphics driver, kinda resolved the issue.However now i tried playing The Last Descendant new game on Steam this happened again.Both problem happen after i close the...
  6. 0*000000709

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0*000000709: Usb shed printer adding problem in Windows 10. I uninstall recently windows updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0000000709/d6eb7add-b5db-4b8d-9707-b22596be2784
  7. 0% gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0% gpu: I get 0-4% gpu utilization when using my dell inspiron laptop it makes my laptop very difficult to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0-gpu/196c0cbb-9f70-4298-9910-6b16a6c98059
  8. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  9. Srttrial.txt 0×0 error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Srttrial.txt 0×0 error: When i go advanced settings and repair windows from loadind i get this error..and when i open the file it says hdd errors 0×0 long page..how i fix that?i tried to put every command in cmd doesnt help..and tried many youtube guides ..i thought the prob was on hdd so i bought...
  10. Transaction Failed error 0-0-2-0--6008

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Transaction Failed error 0-0-2-0--6008: Hi, While trying to buy from Windows store I got an "Transaction Failed error 0-0-2-0--6008" message. Any idea how to resolve this? Vijay. [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. block 127.0.0.1 windows 10

2. host file adblock detection 0.0.0.0 127.0.0.1

3. blocklist 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0

4. How to fix 127.0.0.1 from blocking certain internet sights,
  5. minecraft 127.0.0.1 hosts,
  6. should i use 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 in hosts,
  7. hosts file 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0