Windows 10: using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive?

Discus and support using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Here is my situation: 1) the HD in my laptop was dying, so I ordered a replacement, and tried to create a recovery drive so that I could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ml20151001, Sep 30, 2015.

1. using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive?

Hi,

Here is my situation:

1) the HD in my laptop was dying, so I ordered a replacement, and tried to create a recovery drive so that I could reinstall Win 10 when the replacement arrived

2) Windows asked me to use a drive of 16 gigs or larger for my recovery drive

3) since I didn't have any USB flash drives of that capacity, I used an old, 40-gig IDE drive (IBM Deskstar) that I connected to the laptop via the USB port; at the end of the process, Windows claimed that the IDE drive had been successfully formatted

4) the replacement HD arrived; I inserted it into the laptop and re-connected the IDE drive via USB

5) when I turned the machine on, it seemed to recognize that there was a drive plugged in at the USB port, but it did not seem to be reading the relevant information on the drive: I got a menu with several options for installing/re-installing Windows, but when I tried various options, the computer did not recognize any "source" from which Windows could be reinstalled.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do? The IDE drive has many possible pin settings (master, slave, etc.), of which I have tried several so far -- which setting(s) should I be using so that the computer is able to properly read the drive?

Thanks for any info

:)

ml20151001, Sep 30, 2015
  2. 154Neil Win User

could delete the recovery partition

My HP PC came with Windows 8 or 8.1 and I have since upgraded to Windows 10. I just created a recovery drive using the Control Panel\Recovery\create a recovery drive.

When the recovery completed it said that I could delete the recovery partition (which I did not do). If I were to use the recovery partition on the hard drive (SS drive) would I have a Win 10 reinstall or a Win 8? Also, if I were to use the USB drive that
    I created for a recovery drive would it be a Win 10 or Win 8 reinstall?

OT:

Win 10 Recovery

154Neil, Sep 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Delete Recovery Partition

This works as advertised but you lose the ability to create a recovery drive (you just deleted the necessary files in this procedure) so it would be wise to create a USB Recovery Drive before deleting the recovery partition that was created by Windows
    10. I deleted the recovery partition using the Partition Wizards Mini Tool which then allowed me to extend the C: drive but when I attempted to create a USB Recovery Drive, I got an error message saying some necessary files were missing. Luckily I created
    a USB Recovery Drive just after upgrading to Windows 10. On computers with a company recovery drive (like the D: HP Recovery Drive) that has the Windows 7 recovery info, my suggestion would be to delete the Win 7 recovery partition before upgrading to Win
    10 and then the Win 10 recovery partition doesn't get in the way of using all the available disk space for the C: drive since the Win 10 recovery partition is at the end of the HDD/SSD. Otherwise you end up with a Win 10 recovery partition between the C:
    drive and D: Primary Partition aka the HP Recovery Drive with the Win 7 recovery files that prevents you from extending C into the deleted D space (unless you want to keep the Win 7 recovery files). I've never used the disk recovery partition since I would
    prefer to use the OS original media instead (if Win 10 ever has an install disk which I guess it will after the free upgrade period is over).

Kenneth Goodwin, Sep 30, 2015
  4. using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive?

I must admit I've never used or trusted any Microsoft back up methods.

Does this seem familiar when it boots off the usb/Ide ?

To restore your computer from backup, connect the drive with the system image backup and reboot your computer with the Windows installation media. During the Windows Setup, click Next, then click the Repair your computer link in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Click on Troubleshoot, click Advanced options, and select System Image Recovery. Now select the target operating system you want to recover, click Next and Finish.

Torquemada, Sep 30, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    If you created the Windows 10 Recovery Drive via the windows 10 control panel.. It is a windows only recovery drive..

Just do a clean install from your windows 10 setup media to the new drive...
    When asked to input product key - just SKIP the screen..

6. lx07 Win User
    Actually it is even easier. Forget the recovery drive - boot from the ISO you made.

7. Ztruker Win User
    When connected via USB like you are doing, the jumper has to be set to Master.

Ztruker, Sep 30, 2015
  8. using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive?

Hi,

I don't have any setup media apart from the recovery drive that I made. My laptop came with Win 8.1 pre-installed -- no installation CD or DVD -- and I upgraded to Win 10 by downloading it from the net.

When I boot up the machine (with the recovery drive connected), get to the screen with "System Image Recovery" and then select that option, I immediately get an error message saying "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer".

If I can't get this recovery drive to work, my only option is to put my old (dying) HD back in, try to get it to boot up, and then try to create some different recovery media.

ml20151001, Oct 1, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why can't you just create a Windows 10 install DVD/USB from an operating computer and clean install windows 10 on your computer?

What computer are you using to post here?

NavyLCDR, Oct 1, 2015
  10. I'm posting from my Droid; it's the only working device I have right now.

ml20151001, Oct 1, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    There are several methods of windows recovery - system image recovery is the one most likely to fail...

What are you wanting on the new HDD windows 8.1 or windows 10 ??

Windows 8.1 Setup Media Download Tool > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media
    Windows 10 Setup Media Download Tool > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

If you are looking to transfer or clone your failing drive to the new drive > Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    But will require you to create bootable media, boot your pc from that media, create a backup image of your current HDD
    Then install new HDD, boot from media and apply the backup image (you created above) to your new HDD

12. ram1220 Win User
    Reading #3 leads me to believe that you only formatted the IDE drive. You never said that you did anything else with it. You probably do not have any backup information on that drive.

ram1220, Oct 1, 2015
  13. using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive?

Update: I put the old HD back in, booted up the machine, burned a DVD with the ISO on it, and used that to install Win 10 onto the new HD. So far, everything is working fine.

Thanks again to all

ml20151001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive?

1. using IDE drive as Win 10 recovery drive? - Similar Threads - using IDE drive

2. Using IDE hard drive in 2021?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using IDE hard drive in 2021?: I'm currently using 240 SSD + 320 HDD . So how wise is connecting an old IDE hard drive (160GB) to IDE port as a backup drive ? Does that affect SSD's boot-up time ? If it does , how bad ? Do you think it is worth it? It seems like it is the only way that I can make...
  3. Revert Win 10 Pro to Home using Recovery Drive ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Revert Win 10 Pro to Home using Recovery Drive ?: Recently i purchased a laptop with pre-installed Win 10 Home SL. Later i upgraded it to Pro. Before upgrading it to Pro, i created a Recovery Drive Pendrive. Can i use the Recovery Drive to revert back to Home ? Since i created a Recovery Drive during Home SL, i can revert...
  4. Using a recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using a recovery drive.: For a while now I’m trying to recover my Windows 10 Laptop from HP, I made a recovery drive from another Windows 10 Laptop from ACER, I cant find a way to use the recovery drive is there a way?...
  5. IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised: I have a SAMSUNG 40GB IDE HDD that I took out of an old case. I acquired an IDE to SATA adapter. The drive turns on; no strange noises, or anything. It looks pretty much band new, dispite it being 15 years old. It's not recognised by Windows, and it doesn't seem to show up in...
  6. using recovery drive

using recovery drive: Got a virus on 6-year old computer - running Windows 10. Have a new computer -- and have installed Windows 10. I have created a recovery drive from my new computer - and would like to use it to rescue my old computer. I have read all of the instructions - but am wondering...
  7. IDE drive to SATA host

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDE drive to SATA host: I an trying to reuse old IDE drives and DVD writers in a system that only has SATA on board. I bought two kinds of adaptor board for it but none of them works. Here are the two boards: [img] [img] I've tried them on 2 PCs (B75 and Z97 chipset, both run Windows 10), 3 old...
  8. win 10 recovery drive

win 10 recovery drive: the recovery drive deleted my data drive without prompting me I am saying this for the sake of clarity - that I did not choose a wrong option I created a recovery drive with the understanding that it would recover the operating system it did not recover the operating...
  9. win 10 recovery drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    win 10 recovery drive: the recovery drive deleted my data drive without prompting me I am saying this for the sake of clarity - that I did not choose a wrong option I created a recovery drive with the understanding that it would recover the operating system it did not recover the operating...
  10. Win 10 Recovery Drive

Win 10 Recovery Drive: Two of our computers are store bought and came with windows installed. I am curious after creating recovery USB drives for them, will they require me to enter a product key if I have to use them? I don't see a windows product key in any of the documentation for either PC....