Windows 10: Using Metered Connection to Wait for Patched Update?

Discus and support Using Metered Connection to Wait for Patched Update? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey all, Okay, so I understand how to use metered connections to buy some time before installing updates, but I am only concerned about buying some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Starkman, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Starkman Win User

Using Metered Connection to Wait for Patched Update?

Hey all,

Okay, so I understand how to use metered connections to buy some time before installing updates, but I am only concerned about buying some time to see if any updates are bad--it seems to only take minutes after updates come out for the Net to buzz with "Bad Update!"

If Microsoft, once discovering an update is bad, immediately removes it, then a metered connection will work to prevent downloading it. If, however, Microsoft leaves the bad update while they come up with a new and improved update and they never remove the bad one, then a metered connection probably won't help; you're going to end up downloading the bad update regardless--sure, along with the new update, but you may still have problems.

Anyone know how Microsoft handles bad updates, once they're known?
    Oh, and does Microsoft still do updates only on Tuesdays?

Thanks much,

:)

Starkman, Mar 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 Mail App and Metered connection

It appears that the sync schedule is disabled while on a metered connection. This was not the case in 8.1. I cannot locate settings to enable the sync while on metered connection. I can manually sync, but that is not convenient.

Is there something I am missing? or will this require a wait for a patch solution?

DavidRunkle, Mar 25, 2016
  3. J_Snyder Win User
    Windows 10 How to update 3 PCs on a metered connection

I was unable to get this to work.

I set it up with one PC metered connection off, two with metered connection on.

I had task manager up on all three pc's. The fourth PC had the router internet data counter displayed.

Started the PC with metered connection set on, After it started down loading I click update on the other two. First PC came to waiting for restart. No data being transferred over local area network from this PC. Other two kept going, using the internet
    for downloading updates until until they each stop waiting for restart. I verified the same patches were being installed on second and third pc as were installed on first PC. The data being transferred on the internet stopped when all three PC were waiting
    for restart..

Second try, I didn't start the second PC till first had finished. Both PC used internet to download same Patch.

I don't think Microsoft can make it work either, or else they would respond with a how too bulletin. I believe this a case for false advertisement for a product by a company who has deep pockets that some lawyer is going to go for their money in a class
    action suit.

As a alternative, is there a way to do downloads of large updates at the library. I think I read some where a person was doing that kind of thing about once a month. Does anyone know a link and how one finds out about these updates?

J_Snyder, Mar 25, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

If Microsoft discovers that one of their patches is having undesirable effects on peoples computers they will pull that update immediately, Where did you read that they don't can you post the link.

sml156, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Starkman Win User
    Oh, I wasn't meaning to imply that they don't pull bad patches immediately, only that I wasn't sure what they do in those cases.

I needed to know, though, so that I can effectively use Metered Connections to my advantage when patches come out--which, again, is MS still going to keep Patch Tuesday in effect?

Starkman, Mar 26, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    They don't have patch Tuesday anymore updates are rolled out whenever they are ready, From what I have read at least a few corporate business only allow updates once a month or at least a 1 week after update's come out since they can control when updates are applied to their many computers.

sml156, Mar 27, 2016
  7. Starkman Win User
    Well, then it will be guess work, I suppose: keep Metered Connection on until I do an update check then turn it off, hoping a new (bad) update didn't slip in with the existing downloads. Thanks much.

Starkman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Metered Connection to Wait for Patched Update? - Similar Threads - Using Metered Connection

2. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered connection: What can I do when I can't download my Windows Updates because I am on a metered connection. I went to check on my Windows Updates and found a message that said I needed to check if I was on unmetered connection. If not, I may get charged for downloading them. I am on an...
  3. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  4. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection: My wifi says turn off metered connection but when i go to settings the wifi tab does not appear please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection/f3e9f6a8-62a2-41b4-955f-ff35086fb242
  5. Metered Connections

Metered Connections: How do I change my settings so I can connect to WI-FI? At the moment, it says I can only use an ethernet cord which is not an option. I have a ASUS Desktop running on Windows 10 PRO....
  6. Updates on metered connection using Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates on metered connection using Win 10: Hi. I am new to Win 10 and so far it has not been a pleasant experience. All of a sudden I'm on a metered connection. What the hell is that? I have never been on a metered connection before that I am aware of anyway. I'm so confused re downloading updates. In Win 7 You...
  7. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  8. METERED CONNECTION

METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  9. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...
  10. Updates on a metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...