Windows 10: Using Microsoft Outlook Login remembers WiFi Password?!

Discus and support Using Microsoft Outlook Login remembers WiFi Password?! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Interesting occurrence: Installed WinTP, then installed old WiFi card (XP vintage). The driver was not recognized, caused instability, so removed it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KETBD, Nov 6, 2014.

1. KETBD Win User

Using Microsoft Outlook Login remembers WiFi Password?!

Interesting occurrence: Installed WinTP, then installed old WiFi card (XP vintage). The driver was not recognized, caused instability, so removed it.
    I have set up the computer to Login using an Microsoft Outlook account I created. Getting familiar with how all the email, one-drive, apps, etc. link/sync up.
    Yesterday I installed a brand new WiFi card. This successfully installed, but interestingly, on first use (when I usually have to type in the WiFi password), when I selected the appropriate SSID, it just connected. Works fine! When I check network properties, it shows ******* for where the password goes, so looks like it is using the password.
    All this is OK, but seems odd that it did not request the WiFi password. Is this captured somewhere when using a MS Outlook login? It syncs so many other things, perhaps it remembers the WiFi password, even when using a different WiFi card?!

:)

KETBD, Nov 6, 2014

2. Syncing Contact with Outlook to windoes phone

So your computer is using Outlook 2010 and you installed the Outlook Hotmail Connector?

Did you set up the Outlook 2010 with your Microsoft account login name (which is an outlook.com email address) and password?

Do you remember your Microsoft account login name and password?

If you remember your Microsoft account login credentials, you can view the contacts that are stored in the account via your computer browser by logging into your amount at this link:
    Outlook.com - Microsoft free personal email

Do you still have your old blackberry, with all the contacts still stored on it?

Julie fka profjulie, Nov 6, 2014
  3. Does Internet Explorer remember passwords? [problem with Dropbox login]

I think it's a Dropbox issue. Internet Explorer remembers the login credentials for some of the other websites I visit, but it never remembers my Dropbox login credentials.

Prof Julie |
    Microsoft MVP Windows Phone
    |
    pocketprimer.com
    | twitter

Just got a new windows phone? Check out these blog articles:

Using the Outlook Hotmail Connector

Manage your tasks on a Windows Phone with Remember the Milk

Use Windows Live to handle tasks on a Windows Phone

Julie fka profjulie, Nov 6, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

Open Start Menu > PC Settings. You'll find sync settings as shown in below two screenshots, the network passwords for networks you have connected will no longer be remembered if you turn off the setting shown:

First:

Using Microsoft Outlook Login remembers WiFi Password?! [​IMG]

Then:

Kari, Nov 6, 2014
  5. hawkman Win User
    HMM,
    I think this setting is going a little bit to far.
    SSID is the first line of defence, or is it NOW.

Roy

hawkman, Nov 7, 2014
  6. Kari Win User
    What on earth are you talking about? That setting is a life saver for someone who connects to several networks from various computers. It does in no way violate the integrity of SSID or risk the data. It only works with devices you sign in using your MS account.

Each network needs to be of course first time be accessed with correct credentials. After that these accepted valid credentials are remembered. An example of how it works:

I take my laptop to work, sign in using my MS account and connect it to workplace wireless network. This saves that work wireless network's credentials, I don't have to give them anymore when I bring the laptop to work later on.

Another time I take my Windows tablet to work. Sign in to my MS account, as the workplace wireless credentials are saved and synced for my MS account, I don't have to enter them because the tablet gets them from OneDrive where laptop saved them.

The security of the network or my data was and is never threatened in any way.

Kari, Nov 7, 2014
  7. KETBD Win User
    OK, thank you! It is expected behavior. I am still getting used to the one-drive model of computing. Still a bit uneasy about not having total control right within arms length.
    Separately, tagging the areas under PC Settings as Kari suggests, indeed there is a button for passwords. Indeed that button is "on". But, it is greyed out. And, just above there is a "verify" link and red text stating "your passwords wont sync until you verify your identity on the PC",
    I did forget my security id or pin, and MS had to text me a new one to my phone. Gives you a 30 day time-out time until the new code is accepted. 11/23/14 30 days will be up, then I can really explore how this all works.
    Thanks for your advice!

KETBD, Nov 7, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

This underlines the importance to keep the security info on your MS Account (Hotmail, Live, MSN, Outlook.com emails) up to date to avoid these 30 day delays.

An even better solution is to use an Authenticator app. You can download the MS Authenticator App for Windows Phone here: Authenticator | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States).

On iOS and Android devices you can use the Google Authenticator for an MS Account: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...authenticator2.

When two step verification is setup and you use an MS Account on a new device you get the code needed from the app.

EDIT:

I forgot the tutorial link for setting up Two Step Verification: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-turn-off.html. The tutorial is on our sister site the Seven Forums.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Microsoft Outlook Login remembers WiFi Password?! - Similar Threads - Using Microsoft Outlook

2. laptop remembers wifi password after resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop remembers wifi password after resetting: I recently did a reset on my laptop, and I chose the "remove everything" option, but I was surprised to see that my laptop remembers all the wifi passwords that were previously stored on it? Is this normal?...
  3. laptop remembers wifi password after resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop remembers wifi password after resetting: I recently did a reset on my laptop, and I chose the "remove everything" option, but I was surprised to see that my laptop remembers all the wifi passwords that were previously stored on it? Is this normal?...
  4. Use Microsoft Authenticator plus password for login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Use Microsoft Authenticator plus password for login: Hi,I am using the Microsoft Authenticator for several services, incl. login into my Microsoft account. When I log into Microsoft, I enter my email address and then accept the login on the Authenticator.I want a different behavior: I would like to enter my email address, then...
  5. Outlook 2013 not remembering email account passwords

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2013 not remembering email account passwords: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 version 15.0.5267.1000, works perfectly with Windows 10 Version 1909 18363.1016, but fails when upgraded to Windows 10 Version 2004 19041.450. - - Repair does not resolve the problem. Adding the password is a cosmetic solution, Outlook...
  6. Outlook 2013 not remembering email account passwords

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook 2013 not remembering email account passwords: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 version 15.0.5267.1000, works perfectly with Windows 10 Version 1909 18363.1016, but fails when upgraded to Windows 10 Version 2004 19041.450. - - Repair does not resolve the problem. Adding the password is a cosmetic solution, Outlook...
  7. Disabled bitlocker and now can’t remember login password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabled bitlocker and now can’t remember login password: Hi, i had bitlocker enabled on a laptop, i disabled it and when i went to login afterwards i was prompted for my local password. Problem is I don’t know my local password, i forgot it and have been using a pin number instead, which now isn’t prompted for and doesn’t work...
  8. Disabled bitlocker and now can’t remember login password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabled bitlocker and now can’t remember login password: Hi, i had bitlocker enabled on a laptop, i disabled it and when i went to login afterwards i was prompted for my local password. Problem is I don’t know my local password, i forgot it and have been using a pin number instead, which now isn’t prompted for and doesn’t work...
  9. how to shut off remember password on the browser version of outlook

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to shut off remember password on the browser version of outlook: Its like they make you leave you password: hence no privacy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-shut-off-remember-password-on-the-browser/867f8ee5-e3e1-49de-ab08-a61b158e4a32"
  10. Remember a Password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remember a Password: I have an app and everytime I open it, I need to enter the password (it remembers my username). What can I do so it will automatically remember the password so I don't need to input it everytime?...