Windows 10: Using MKLINK on Outlook 2013 data files in a User subfolder

Discus and support Using MKLINK on Outlook 2013 data files in a User subfolder in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Outlook 2013 stores the .PST file for POP3 accounts in the C:\Documents\Outlook Files folder making it very convent to back up email, calendars,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by SoFine409, Jul 7, 2016.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Using MKLINK on Outlook 2013 data files in a User subfolder

Outlook 2013 stores the .PST file for POP3 accounts in the C:\Documents\Outlook Files folder making it very convent to back up email, calendars, contact and rules. Unfortunately .OST files for any IMAP account(s) are stored in another folder C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook making it a little less convenient to make a quick backup. I believe that Outlook 2016 will allow you to keep the .OST and the .PST together in the Outlook Files folder in Documents.

Since I don’t plan to upgrade to Office 2016 just for this feature, I found an article that suggest using a symbolic like to relocate .OST files in Outlook 2013. The articles is at:
    https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/...ookcomimap.htm

However, I recall reading somewhere, maybe it was regarding Win 8.1, that using a soft symbolic link (MKLINK) would interfere with future upgrades. Does anyone know or have any observations this is true? I’d like to hear as many opinions as possible since we have a major update coming on August 2. Thanks for your input.

:)

SoFine409, Jul 7, 2016

2. After Win 10 Update logs me in as a Temporary User and will not let me sign into my user where my files/etc are housed

Outlook Data Files (.pst) created by using Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2016 are typically saved on your computer in the Documents\Outlook Files folder. If you upgraded to Outlook on a computer that already had data files that were created in Microsoft Office
    Outlook 2007 or earlier, these files are saved in a different location in a hidden folder at drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

The offline Outlook Data File (.ost) is also saved at drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. Most data remains on the server; however, any items that are saved locally should be backed up. For example, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and any folders
    marked Local only.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Outlook 2013 is not syncing custom folders, only the default folders

Hi,

Since upgrading to Windows 10, my install of Outlook 2013 fails to sync subfolders from my work mail server.

Inbox, Sent and Trash (default folders) all sync just fine and I'm able to send/receive emails.

The issue is that when I drag an email to a subfolder, out of the inbox, it gets transferred to the folder but I'm unable to see it.

I've confirmed using other devices that the email is indeed in the subfolder but it doesn't show up on this specific Outlook install.

The emails that do show up in the subfolders are emails that had synced prior to updating to Windows 10. Post Windows 10 emails no longer show up in the folders.

Additionally, I've tested my Outlook 2013 instance on my Windows 8.1 laptop and that works fine. It's just the Windows 10 install of Outlook 2013 that's failing to display new emails in subfolders.

Any ideas?

HoboJoe1848, Jul 7, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

One never knows what an upgrade will do. Each upgrade is like a new OS install. You could always just write a small script to execute after every upgrade to re-set it.

Mystere, Jul 7, 2016
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi Mystere,
    Good point.
    Outlook gets really cranky when you mess with its data files. Since I move all of the important emails from my IMAP accounts inboxes to my POP3 folders, the worst thing that could happen is that I would need to recreate the IMAP accounts and import the email rules. BTW, I've learned the hard way the restoring a drive with Outlook data files does not always restore the email rules correctly. Most of the time the IMAP rules just completely disappear. Hugh disaster if you have a lot of IMAP rules!

SoFine409, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using MKLINK on Outlook 2013 data files in a User subfolder - Similar Threads - Using MKLINK Outlook

2. Outlook Data File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Outlook Data File: I want to transfer an Outlook data file from an old PC to a new one using a thumb drive. The thumb drive has a 14.5 GB capacity and my Outlook data file is 7,525,192 KB - but the drive won't accept the transfer. How can I reduce the size of an Outlook dat file?...
  3. Microsoft Outlook Subfolders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Outlook Subfolders: I am running Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 under Windows 10. I have mail folders set up and in some cases sub folders within those folder. All of a sudden I cannot access those sub folders on my PC although I still can on my iPhone. My PC will display a + sign alongside a...
  4. Outlook 2013

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Outlook 2013: I bought Outlook 2013 a few years ago downloaded from Microsoft. I have a new laptop. Can I download it onto the new computer too. I am not sure how many computers are allowed. It is a program, not Outlook.com...
  5. Outlook 2013 connections...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2013 connections...: Outlook 2013 has eight email accounts setup, none of them are from Microsoft, that works just fine. Windows 10 v.1809 has no Microsoft accounts either, local UIDs only. Starting up Outlook, it connects the these URLs first: roaming.officeapps.live.com...
  6. Outlook data file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook data file: How do I recover outlook data file deleted from recycle bin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-data-file/e6c1fd98-e73e-4e9c-bf06-6c2ae8a6537d
  7. Outlook data file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook data file: I have more than one data file in Outlook. How to I combine them and return to just the Outlook data file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-data-file/f6791306-702a-406f-8f04-ad859b637a64
  8. Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file . . .

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file . . .: [img] Outlook is driving me crazy! Office 365 ProPlus got updated yesterday, and today it's giving me this stupid thing! It also doesn't seem to be collecting my emails for me. In fact, I tried to send an email from one of my accounts to another one and it told me I don't...
  9. Outlook 2010 Data file import error to Outlook 2013

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2010 Data file import error to Outlook 2013: My employer (School Board) requested all staff laptops be returned over summer so the OS could be upgraded from Win 7 Enterprise, so I did an export of my Outlook 2010 file to work on from home- they now want all Outlook profiles below 50 MB. My personal laptop (Win 7 Pro...
  10. Outlook 2013

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2013: Creating "New Email" just stopped working as it normally does. It shows in the task bar as "Untiltled - Message" but does not show in Outlook and when I click on the mini window, I only see the desktop. Very strange. Just began today. 43259

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mklink windows 10 outlook