Windows 10: using mob phone connected to i/net via public wifi to connect laptop

Discus and support using mob phone connected to i/net via public wifi to connect laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, recently purchased new laptop with windows 10 installed. I currently use public/open wifi connection to connect to the internet for non private... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by francis, Oct 29, 2016.

1. francis Win User

using mob phone connected to i/net via public wifi to connect laptop

Hi, recently purchased new laptop with windows 10 installed. I currently use public/open wifi connection to connect to the internet for non private surfing (private matters dealt with via payg dongle). However, this open wifi connection can be erratic (whereas previous laptop running windows 7 connected as and when requested). Once connected, it is faultless and speedy enough for my needs. I have also marked this connection as ‘automatic’.
    I know that it is not the signal strength, it is simply the initial connection, with which my new laptop seems to struggle with! My screen shows all available networks so is picking up all correct signals. When I click ‘connect’ it will go through the motions for approx 2-3 seconds and then say ‘unable to connect to this network’ and other times, it will say ‘connecting’ and will go through these motions, and will continue to say ‘connecting’ for 15 minutes and longer or until I get sick of waiting!
    On the occasions when it does finally ‘connect’, it will begin with a message in the ‘action centre’ saying ‘click on message to connect to open wifi’-it will then go to the open/public wifi homepage and connect-from thereon, I am fine.
    Why won’t my laptop connect as easily to open wifi as last machine did on windows 7, and why does it continually say ‘unable to connect to internet’ or remain in ‘connecting’ mode?
    A further query I have (apologies) is when my laptop refuses to connect to internet as above, my mobile phone connects to the open wifi easily so I certainly know that it is not the distance that is in question, or the strength of signal-bearing this in mind, is it possible to connect my laptop and mobile phone via usb and possible to use my phone when it is connected to the open wifi source to connect my laptop to internet via this route? If so, would somebody give me step by step instructions to connect this way, please. The phone I currently have is a 3g sony xperia mini pro (which I am sure you can gather I have had for few years now!)
    Many thanks for all replies and all assistance is gratefully received.

:)

francis, Oct 29, 2016
  2. Surfer88 Win User

Samsung SGH-i907 Epix/WM 6.1/ WIFI problem

hoganirl wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have used my media net connection quite a bit since I got the phone last Thursday. Is working great through that connection. When I set up my wireless network I did not specify any specific rights to any PC via MAC
    addresses. I have 2 laptops and 1 PC on the network that connect via the 128bit WEP network key. I have had guests in my house receive the key and connected without any problem.

I've confirmed that the key I used is correct. While WIFI is enabled it shows that it is connected and shows a strong signal to my router, it just won't connect to the internet. I have not tried a public WIFI access point yet. I'm baffled what the problem could
    be. Not sure what to look for next. I'm hoping that ATT/Samsung may have some ideas

Any further suggestions would be great! Thanks again.

Hoganiri,

Hope that you can try out on a public WIFI access point as soon as possible. One of the things that we want most is to connect to a public hotspot, because if I am in the house, I would rather surf the net using my laptop which has a much better screen and
    more powerful tools...

The observation by Zero Wolf is also correct, because IE is usually programmed to use phone data connectivity, and not wifi connection. To use IE, I usually connect to wifi first, and then launch IE...

Regards...

Surfer88, Oct 29, 2016
  3. How to update Lumia 520 without Wi-Fi.

Friends with WiFi.

Cable connected Laptop with WiFi set up as a virtual Access Point

Friends with a cell phone with tethering you could attach to via WiFi

Public WiFi

[WarDriving using mob phone connected to i/net via public wifi to connect laptop ;) , not really suggesting that]

Those are options. Doing it over something other than WiFi unfortunately, is not.

Sven Johannsen, Oct 29, 2016
Thema:

using mob phone connected to i/net via public wifi to connect laptop

1. using mob phone connected to i/net via public wifi to connect laptop - Similar Threads - using mob phone

2. Laptop won't connect to public wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't connect to public wifi: I have a Lenovo Ideapad running windows 11 home. It does not have a VPN installed and doesn't use thrid party anti-virus. I can't get it to connect to public wifi and some wifi networks say "No internet, secured". I first noticed this problem about 2 weeks ago and nothing I...
  3. Laptop won't connect to public wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't connect to public wifi: I have a Lenovo Ideapad running windows 11 home. It does not have a VPN installed and doesn't use thrid party anti-virus. I can't get it to connect to public wifi and some wifi networks say "No internet, secured". I first noticed this problem about 2 weeks ago and nothing I...
  4. PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.

PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.: I have my PC connected via Lan Cable and my phone connected via Wifi. Remote file access to my phone does not work and the error says that my phone is not connected on the network. I also have the similar error using Window's Phone link. Can you help me resolve this so that I...
  5. PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.: I have my PC connected via Lan Cable and my phone connected via Wifi. Remote file access to my phone does not work and the error says that my phone is not connected on the network. I also have the similar error using Window's Phone link. Can you help me resolve this so that I...
  6. Public wifi connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public wifi connection: My laptop is not able to connect to public networks despite detecting them...."Do you want your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" This is what I see only.please help....
  7. Public wifi connection

Public wifi connection: My laptop is not able to connect to public networks despite detecting them...."Do you want your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" This is what I see only.please help....
  8. Public wifi connection

9. Lost WiFi and 'net connection via USB

Lost WiFi and 'net connection via USB: For the longest time we've been hooked to the internet via a USB cable to the router AT&T because the ethernet kept cutting out, sometimes 20 times a day. The USB connection was faultless and showed it was connected by the WiFi icon. Now after one of the recent updates we've...
  10. Connecting to Public WiFi

Connecting to Public WiFi: Since the latest update was pushed last week, I cannot connect to public WiFi networks that require verification on a browser after making the connection (Google Starbucks). Any suggestions?...