Windows 10: Using OneDrive with Placeholders

Discus and support Using OneDrive with Placeholders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Been messing around with onedrive and use of placeholders. Once I got hang of it, it is quite easy. There are a several ways you can do things 1)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cereberus, Aug 10, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Using OneDrive with Placeholders

Been messing around with onedrive and use of placeholders. Once I got hang of it, it is quite easy.

There are a several ways you can do things

1) create/copy folders under onedrive, and simply sync files as in 15063 etc. Here the files are in onedrive folder in pc and on web.

Easy to just drag a copy of a folder to onedrive folder and folder automatically synced to web,

2) create/copy folders under onedrive, and initially sync files as in 15063 etc. Open onedrive from system tray and select to use files on demand. Then if you right click on folder, you can elect to keep files on host and web, or just on web(clear space link).

This is essentially the old style place holders.

3) There is a third way that is quite neat - rather than dragging copy of a folder to one drive folder as in (1) above, you can create a junction link in n admin command prompt e.g.

mklink /j "C:\users\username\onedrive\foldername1" "X:\yourpath\foldername2" (foldernames can be same or different)

This shows a folder foldername1 in the onedrive folders, and shows the files in foldername2 on X directory.

So if you add or delete a file to foldername2, it gets synced to a web folder foldrname1 (you can turn off foldername1 syncing if you like from settings.

Note: if you use a junction link, you cannot free the space i.e. create placeholders in the linked directory.

Also removing a junction link removes foldername1 from onedrive folder and web but leaves foldername 2 intact. So if you decide to remove sysmlink but want to keep files on web, you have to copy foldername1 forst to a new folder by going online, or else you will have to drag a copy of foldername2 to onedrive and re-synce all files (I found thi out the hard way!).

Depending on what you are doing, you may use a combination of placeholders, simply syncing copies, or junction links.

On my tablet, I use placeholders. On my PC, I junction link download, and document folders so web is always in synce, but use placeholders for less frequently used stuff.

Far better now.

:)

cereberus, Aug 10, 2017
  2. TrevN Win User

Many File Thumnails Will not Display on Windows 10 but some will

I use OneDrive and just did a test. I have thousands of images and most of them only show the image placeholder in my OneDrive folder. This only started happening recently.

I copied a folder of around 300 images from my OneDrive folder in File Manager, where only the placeholders were visible, to another folder outside OneDrive and, hey presto, all the thumbnails reappeared.

So it looks like Microsoft need to take a look at the interaction between OneDrive and File Manager.

TrevN, Aug 10, 2017
  3. MichaelRZ Win User
    No OneDrive placeholders on WIn 10?

No OneDrive placeholders on WIn 10?

MichaelRZ, Aug 10, 2017
Thema:

Using OneDrive with Placeholders

1. Using OneDrive with Placeholders - Similar Threads - Using OneDrive Placeholders

2. taskbar icons showed just placeholders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar icons showed just placeholders: It happens a lot.How do I fix it? I don't want to reinstall the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-showed-just-placeholders/2fdac4c1-742e-4df8-9974-3e2fe394f3bb
  3. Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11: Hello,Having an issue with bloatware, namely advertisement placeholders for Spotify, Instagram, Disney, on the start menu.We have all relevant privacy settings turned off, we also have GPO's in place to turn off said settings GPO's are applying, so these should not be getting...
  4. Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11

Advertisement Placeholders Windows 11: Hello,Having an issue with bloatware, namely advertisement placeholders for Spotify, Instagram, Disney, on the start menu.We have all relevant privacy settings turned off, we also have GPO's in place to turn off said settings GPO's are applying, so these should not be getting...
  5. Image placeholders instead of thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image placeholders instead of thumbnails: Lenovo Yoga 7 laptop, Win11 64-bit.I've noticed that on my new computer, whenever I wish to insert an image into an email etc, all I get to choose from are image placeholders with the filenames. No thumbnails. This makes it a bit difficult to choose the right image. What can...
  6. Image placeholders instead of thumbnails

Image placeholders instead of thumbnails: Lenovo Yoga 7 laptop, Win11 64-bit.I've noticed that on my new computer, whenever I wish to insert an image into an email etc, all I get to choose from are image placeholders with the filenames. No thumbnails. This makes it a bit difficult to choose the right image. What can...
  7. Using OneDrive

Using OneDrive: Hi. I have been using a Legacy app for many years, but it saves my data only in The VirtualStore. Is there any way to back up/sync that data file with OneDrive. I don't see how off hand. I am running OneDrive with Windows 10, and many forums only show OneDrive help for Win 7...
  8. Using OneDrive

Using OneDrive: Due to numerous recent problems I'm finishing the setup of refreshed W10. Question: Should I use OneDrive? I am a novice and am not at all up to speed of the Cloud computing. Thank you 114985
  9. 1st sign of OneDrive placeholders returning appears in Redstone build

in Windows 10 News
    1st sign of OneDrive placeholders returning appears in Redstone build: Rumors have been swirling around for a few months now that OneDrive placeholders would make a return in the Redstone update for Windows 10. Twitter user WalkingCat has uncovered the first signs of that actually happening. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date As with all...
  10. OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone: A long time ago, in an OS far, far away, ok not that far away but with Window 8.1, Microsoft had a feature for OneDrive called placeholders. This feature allowed you to keep a very small file on your local machine that showed a thumbnail of the document that was stored in the...