Windows 10: Using RoboCopy

Discus and support Using RoboCopy in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to use RoboCopy to backup my data files to a USB stick and External HDD. I created a folder in each destination called DataBackup and run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JamesJoey, Aug 11, 2017.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Using RoboCopy

I'm trying to use RoboCopy to backup my data files to a USB stick and External HDD.

I created a folder in each destination called DataBackup and run the following command.

robocopy "d:\datafiles" "e:\databackup /e

Problem is it doesn't copy to that folder. It simply puts the folder DataFiles in the root of each drive and copies it's contents.
    In fact the folder I specify in the command is removed after the copy.
    How do I get robocopy to copy the folder to the folder I specify?

Also, after the initial copy, when I want to backup again, how to I tell robocopy to only replace files that has been changed since the last backup?

James

:)

JamesJoey, Aug 11, 2017
  2. Sam___ Win User

Can't Copy to Server

Try copying using robocopy and using the backup mode switches. For example

robocopy c:\mydata \\server\share /e /zb

-Sam

Sam___, Aug 11, 2017
  3. kokomito Win User
    How do I change memory card on C6 without loosing the data?

In case of a card-change I would prefer using:

robocopy <drive_letter_of_old_card>:\ <drive_letter_of_new_card>:\ /MIR

or, if there's only one MicroSD-slot

robocopy <drive_letter_of_old_card>:\ <temporary_folder_path>\ /MIR

(interchange cards)

robocopy <temporary_folder_path>\ <drive_letter_of_new_card>:\ /MIR

For further information on using robocopy or the command line, refer to the internet (primarily the pages of Microsoft).

kokomito, Aug 11, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Using RoboCopy

I don't know much about RoboCopy. I use a 3rd party program that is a GUI version of RoboCopy called: FastCopy

But also one thing that I wanted to point out to you was that you seem to be missing a "close quote" after e:\databackup

pepanee, Aug 11, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
  6. JamesJoey Win User
    I found a third party sync program that does my bidding.

Thanks,James

JamesJoey, Aug 11, 2017
  7. This is the wrong syntax: robocopy "d:\datafiles" "e:\databackup /e

IT needs to be like this: robocopy d:\datafiles e:\databackup\datafiles /e

You only need the quotes if the folder has a space in the name. Hope this helps.

play2mefish, Aug 12, 2017
  8. Try3 Win User

Using RoboCopy

James,

If you are happy to use a third party utility then fine but you could have used

ROBOCOPY "d:\datafiles" "e:\databackup" /E /XA:H /MIR /DCOPY:T /MT /R:10

You'll find explanations of each of the switches by entering this in a command window RoboCopy /?

In the example given, you can omit the " pairs but notice that, as pointed out above, they must be used at the start and end of any path that contains a space [in your question, you omitted one of them - they must always exist in pairs if they are used at all].

Denis

9. Bree New Member
  10. Wiley Coyote, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Using RoboCopy

1. Using RoboCopy - Similar Threads - Using RoboCopy

2. Does using /copyall on robocopy matter on authority when opening files in linux?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does using /copyall on robocopy matter on authority when opening files in linux?: I'd like to copy photos from computers, cameras, samsung phones to synology nas via "robocopy * * /e /copyall /log+*".What I concerning is /copyall copies all information of files including ownership, which is quite sensitive in linux system, so I could not reach the copied...
  3. Does using /copyall on robocopy matter on authority when opening files in linux?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does using /copyall on robocopy matter on authority when opening files in linux?: I'd like to copy photos from computers, cameras, samsung phones to synology nas via "robocopy * * /e /copyall /log+*".What I concerning is /copyall copies all information of files including ownership, which is quite sensitive in linux system, so I could not reach the copied...
  4. Does using /copyall on robocopy matter on authority when opening files in linux?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.: G'day,I've made and have been using a batch file to back up my files. I was using xcopy, but I added a new folder which contains directories which are larger than the 254 character limit, so I started using robocopy. The only problem is, robocopy doesn't seem to support...
  6. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.: G'day,I've made and have been using a batch file to back up my files. I was using xcopy, but I added a new folder which contains directories which are larger than the 254 character limit, so I started using robocopy. The only problem is, robocopy doesn't seem to support...
  7. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

8. Keeping File's Original Access Date when using Robocopy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keeping File's Original Access Date when using Robocopy: So I am trying to copy files with all their file attributes including timestamps. Everything seems to be working well when Robocopy finishes until I found out that the access date hasn't been copied. It is showing the date that Robocopy has finished copying. Is there a way...
  9. Keeping File's Original Access Date when using Robocopy

Keeping File's Original Access Date when using Robocopy: So I am trying to copy files with all their file attributes including timestamps. Everything seems to be working well when Robocopy finishes until I found out that the access date hasn't been copied. It is showing the date that Robocopy has finished copying. Is there a way...
  10. missing some files and folders using Robocopy command

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    missing some files and folders using Robocopy command: We are planning to midgrade our fileserver from server 2012 R2 to 2019. When running robocopy to transfer files and fodders to 2012 R server to 2019, it shows no failed. However, if I check drive size and files copied on these two server, they are different.2012 R2 shows...